Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,258 Posts
Yes,

that is because MicroSloft has gone out of their way to ensure that anything you want to do, can be done easily without the user having to know anything more than using a mouse, and clicking on "I want"

I am using Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon on this laptop,
it will not share a folder, ( I don't own it, can't get permission )
it won't let me use a network printer,
there are NO DRIVERS available for my printer,
on my other laptops I can share files from PC to PC via the WiFi, and I am fast becoming disenchanted with Linux

Linux is a great operating system, but it is not for the faint at heart...
you either dive in and learn the sub-system, or you just say 'uck it... and go back to Windows

and that is what education and Business folks are doing...

The City of Munich, Germany after having for 10 years, tried to use Linux for all of their municipal work, just gave up and threw in the towel, they went back to Windows city wide for all government use.

Linux/Unix/AIX is just to damn hard to work with, and I am right there on the door ledge getting ready to just say to Hell with It, and reinstall Windows.

At least with Windows, EVERY THING WORKS!

·
Administrator
22,368 Posts
Seems like Apple products are making strides. I've used Apple computers that are no more than the monitor with a wireless keyboard and mouse. All the guts are stuffed behind the screen. The OS was fairly similar to Windows. At least close enough I learned to load the day's images into the mainframe, catalog and edit them.

·
Administrator
25,736 Posts
Seems like Apple products are making strides. I've used Apple computers that are no more than the monitor with a wireless keyboard and mouse. All the guts are stuffed behind the screen. The OS was fairly similar to Windows. At least close enough I learned to load the day's images into the mainframe, catalog and edit them.
Apple seems to be way more into the portable devices and MS more into the software.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling reading an advertisement disguised as news.:claps:

Oh wait a minute I think that was the week old pizza I had for breakfast.:sick:

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can understand your reluctance to encompass the modern windows system that has evolved over the years. Being the owner of an antique motorcycle.... :)

·
Administrator
59,258 Posts
I don't know why in the hell, Linux mint 18.3 is giving me so damn much trouble.
When I installed 17.3, the only thing I had to do was find a WiFi driver, and they still have not made that a standard feature in 18.3 ?? why the hell not? everyone has to have WiFi available to them on a laptop... I had to go back to my old notes that I fortunately saved, and do the same exact thing all over again for 18.3, and now the WiFi works...
argh!!!

so far, this 'easy to use Linux' is a donnybrook of you can't get there from here.

• it won't share folders, :(
  • it can't see a network, :(
  • tried to install the Epson printer with a driver that the Linux forum directed me to, direct from Epson of all things, and it won't work !$%!$%!$% :(
  • It will not view an HTML5 video :(

if it weren't for the fact that Linux on this laptop is about 3 times faster, or more, than Windows, I would scrap this effort and reinstall Windows on it again.

every time I need to do something, I have to drop down into Terminal and access root permissions.... then use an archaic bunch of terminal commands in text to try and find the damn directories I need.

not only that, Linux refuses to be case insensitive...
ie, CD /downloads does not work...... for gawd sakes people.....

you have to type cd /Downloads .... for crying out loud, what are those people thinking? I just want to hit the damn thing with a sledge hammer and go home.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I don't know why in the hell, Linux mint 18.3 is giving me so damn much trouble.
Possibly because they're trying to be bleeding edge thus breaking things? :surprise:

Everything you're complaining about works for me with my chosen Linux distribution and can be configured using a point and click graphical interface.:claps:

·
Administrator
59,258 Posts
Firefox just crashed and refuses to reboot.

I had to hold the power button down and forced the BIOS to turn the power off.

Now Firefox won't run except in Safe Mode...

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Firefox just crashed and refuses to reboot.

I had to hold the power button down and forced the BIOS to turn the power off.

Now Firefox won't run except in Safe Mode...
Is this your Windows Puter, Linux Puter or Smartass Phone?:?

·
Administrator
59,258 Posts
Is this your Windows Puter, Linux Puter or Smartass Phone?:?
it is still the Linux Mint 18.3 on my newer ASUS TP-500L laptop.

if it don't get resolved tonight, I am formatting the hard drive and reinstalling Win7 Home Premium, and refusing to allow it to update anything....

I have SP3 stored on a backup hard drive somewhere, that is good enough.

going to run it plain vanilla right out of the box, just like I have been with the Desktop

·
Administrator
59,258 Posts
well, part of the problem might be the Internet is down...

I am on AT&T ADSL and the whole damn county is out of service tonihgt.

I had to fire up my cellphone's hotspot on Verizon to access the Internet.....
on Facebook, our local community group is asking what is going on??
are other folks down too??

and one guy says that he was told the entire area it OUT OF SERVICE.

we have been having intermittent Internet service for several weeks now.
I am wondering at this point, if the downloads that I have been getting and trying to use, have been bugged with Bit Errors??

dunno, but I am calling it quits for tonight and gonna read a book.

·
Administrator
59,258 Posts
well,
I got a good night's sleep,

the internet is back up and solid,

I visited the Linux forum again to see what has been done with my problem

and ran across another future project that got resolved before I asked for it,
In Windows, there is a super slick, simple image editor called Paint....
nothing is better than that app for quick and dirty projects, cropping, writing over, air brushing...

this thread
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=258821
brought up "Pinta" as a look alike, and boy is it ever. It is now my default Linux Paint app editor.

but, back to this laptop, it is doing better, it now has a printer attached,
see my thread on that.
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=258867

It works good now, Libre Writer sees the ET-2550 as the only printer available which is fine, it is color and multi-function, the other printers are black only.

now, I need to fix the Sharing problem, I can't get Linux to share folders, and on 17.3 it was very easy, on 18.3 it says I don't have permission because I am not the owner ??

back to the Linux forum again.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
When I was in school, they kept the curtains closed so we couldn't use the windows at all!

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
now, I need to fix the Sharing problem, I can't get Linux to share folders, and on 17.3 it was very easy, on 18.3 it says I don't have permission because I am not the owner ??

back to the Linux forum again.
I'm thinking that you restored somethings from a backup as root.:surprise:
Try
Code:
sudo chown -R john:john /home/john

·
Administrator
59,258 Posts
Jees my windows 10 just keeps plodding along...... 0:)
um, Win10 ain't gonna live here, unless everything else is broke.

if it comes to it, I will just use my MS Win7 DVD to start from scratch, and leave it on Win7 forever.

I don't like Win10, my friend has a surf with that on it, and I just plain don't like it at all.

·
Magic Moderator
4,524 Posts
I gave up on Linux, still have XP and 7. I'm not sure what became of the Windows10 computer that my friends have. I have a smartazz phone and trying to view forums on that is't fun, I have to take my glasses off to see the screen.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts