Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

does anyone know of a safe way to cut down a windscreen? i have tried before with a hacksaw and all i did was break it. my screen is about 3 inches too tall for me. i dont want to shell out any money for a shorter one if i can do it myself.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I cut down my Cee Bailey about 1" below stock height with a saber saw. Use a plastic cutting blade or a fine tooth wood blade, preferably hollow ground. Don't use a metal cutting blade. Prior to cutting I covered the area that was going to be cut including enough area to keep the foot of the saw from scratching the plastic. Using the saw at a slow speed and with light pressure to keep from melting the plastic which can cause to it grab, make the cut. If you do it with the screen on the bike, make sure you don't let the weight of the say bear sideways on the blade hold it's weight up but keep the saw base tight against the plastic so it won't chatter. It's important to do this in a warm area, if the plastic is cold it will be more brittle than normal.

Once it's cut use a file to smooth the edge. use the file with its long dimension along the edge, not crossways. Once you've got all the saw marks filed out use some fine sand paper, 380 grit wet or dry used wet is a good grade, to polish the edge. The idea is to have it very smooth with no nicks or scratches on the edge which are stress risers and a place for a future crack to start.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

I've trimmed a couple of windshields with a pneumatic cut-off tool - it has a circular disk for a cutting blade, and nearly melts the plastic as much as grinds it away.

I would lay down masking tape along the desired contour just to keep my handiwork lined up. I didn't worry about the subtle aspects while cutting - clean them up later with rasps and sandpaper.

This method works with very little risk of cracking the screen.

Jack

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I think if was Silverfox who used a dremel tool to sucessfully cut his windshield, said it worked well. By all means use plenty of masking tape, good for marking out the curve and will prevent scratches. If you saw I recommend a drop cloth around the windshield and covering the bike if you leave the plastic on the bike while cutting. It makes a surprising mess and the little plastic sawdust particles are kinda like plastic peanuts, they want to stick to everything.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
imported post

I"ve done two with my angle grinder and a very thin diamond 4" disc. No problem. Left the screen on the bike and finished the edges off with wet and dry on a cork block. Mark the cutting line with a felt pen parallel to the top. Also cut out a vent hole with same. Cover the bike with dropsheets. Easy- peasy !!:) You can use the diamond disc on almost anything (toenails etc...):cheeky1:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.