Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anybody out there have any suggestions/products for keeping a brand new windshield "new" ?

Thanks.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I simply use Lemon Pledge on the windshield and the bike. Does a good job, cleans it , never harms it and seems to protect the finish.

Sometimes around here the bugs can really get thick, so if the shield gets coated with them and dried on and stuck, I will lay a sopping and running water wet towel over the shield for a few minutes, then wipe the shield off with pledge.

I also use those mico fiber cloths for the windshield, as I have found even a cotton terry cloth can and will scratch the shield.

So far the micro cloths and the pledge, seems to do the best job.

Kit

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
imported post

I use a product called Janvil. Works great. Go to Janvil.com. They have scratch removal stuff too but I only use their polish. Great stuff!

Duban

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi dennis i use a generalspray on polish a bit like pledge and an old tshirt with no buttons attached its impossablenot to get the fine swirl marks over time as just a lightdust coating will form these as your cleaning i dont like a dirty screen and may just give it a rub once or twice when on a run

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
imported post

I use Pledge on my windshield and like it.
When cleaning a plastic windscreen it is important to only wipe it up and down so that you dont cause swirl scratches in the plastic that will obstruct your night vision from other headlights.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks guys/gals. I'll check out everything that has been suggested so far. I have heard about Lemon Pledge for a very long time but was always afraid because of negative long term effects.

FYI.....just received my brand new windshield today from Cee Bailey's. In their directions regarding care they mention specifically "Meguiars Mirror Glaze" or "Meguiras Mirror Glaze Polish". ONLY that company. Maybe they have a deal worked out with each other...........who knows ?

Anyway............thanks again.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i have been using warm water with a soft cotton cloth, it removes easily bugs and dust. then i dry it up with a warm chamois, so far still looks brand new, its only 1 month old :) btw, i cover it with a shirt when not using the bike to keep dust away.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

Liquid turtle wax works also.Use back and forth,up and down .never around.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

I use pledge on mine and apply by spraying on windshield surface and rub in and continue to polish with the same cloth until there is no residue. Leaves a nice clear shiny surface.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
imported post

I use a a product called gel gloss. Got it at lowes and it really cleans and polishes the screen. Kinda nice watching water bead off just like rain-x

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,178 Posts
imported post

Obviously there isn't just one "best product" :waving:

Lots of good ones, some better than others, lots of loving care goes a long way. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Bo, that is one good looking bike. :action:

Did you do the paint?

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I carry a california mini duster. I work at a trucking company and the trailers are park 100 yards away in a dirt lot. These truck going back in forth will leave a layer of dust on everything so I got tired of covering the windshield and Now I dust it with this duster.

The same can be done with those new replaceable dusters. SWIFFER. Very lightly to remove dust then once the dust is gone I would use any of thos cleaners/ polishers you guys have mentioned. On hand now is pledge

Someone before said it will smudge. A lil poledge goes along way. When I first started using pledge I used it the same way I use it on furniture. ( I LET MY WIFE DO IT.) I oversprayed and got bad results. I now lightly spray it wipe off the excess and take a micro fibre cloth and buff the area. JUST like WAX.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I had a Cee Bailey on my 1500 and loved it, but I simpley washed it, or soaked an old T shirt to remove bugs and used a microfibre cloth and regular furniture polish to finish it off and help disperse rain water, worked fine for me.

have never once heard of any long term bad effects of using spray on furniture polish like Pledge. I really don't believe there is any ingredient that will damage any part of your bike. ( plus it is just great for getting plastic/nylon curtain runnersgliding smoothly again!!! :):waving:)

Only downside is you have to get the wife to do the bike cleaning, if she is the "keeper of the cleaning products":cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Pledge will not hurt anything. I have been using it for over 20 years to polish bikes.

So I can pretty much tell you it is cool.

The other products such as PLEXUS work well too, but they cost like 12 to 15 dollars a can.

I just when I remember to stop at the dollar store and get pledge for two dollars a can and pick up a bundle of the micro rags for three bucks.

Pledge does not last like wax, but also does not create build up in all the nooks and crannies. And wax does not last too long either, one thing for sure if you shine up your bike for a ride, it is gonna rain..........that is just a fact. :gunhead:

Kit

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Things I've learned from the pros. ( that's you guys ) Although it's not the ONLY product that will work, good old Pledge is the winner on this thread. And it's definitely going to be cheaper than others such as Plexus which is what I have been using for awhile now.

Also, I guess these micro towels must work better thanjust using something "soft/clean/non-abrasive" that I have around the house. And I will now discontinue the "swirling" motion when I clean that I have used..................(gulp)............my entire life.

BTW, I've had the 2000 GL1500 since it was born. In several places of the owner's manual ( I'm sure some of you will check ) it specifically statesthat nothing but WATER should be used to keep the windshield looking like new. That's what I did. And I AM one of those guys that simply refuses to ride a dirty bike/car etc. Maybe this windshield will last longer although getting 9 years out of this one, I guess, isn't bad. .....................go figure.........................

Thanks again !!!!!

Dennis

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

someone mentioned Rain-X...has anyone tried it on a bike windshield?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.