Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I see on some other forums folks debating on carnuba wax for their windshields, no-one seems sure which products have NO abrasives in them. I've just had a new 04 Honda screen fitted (the tool bridge barrier on the Westlink fell on the old one and marked it and the nice people there footed the bill for a new one, so I got an 04 one plus vent and the cost was over €570) without fitting.
Anyways I want to start afresh with this screen, I want to use a wax or whatever taht will let the rain just roll off and that has no abrasives at all if that is at all possible.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

I've tried alot of different products on bike windshields and so far the best thing I have found is made by "Armor All" it's called "Armor All" "Spray on" "Car Polish" Protective Barrier! Really at first glance because of the lettering you just notice

("Armor All" "Car Polish"), it use to be called "Armor plate" a few years back! All the stores use to carry it in the States but now it's only in a few! I find it at "Ace Hardware"! I use it one my car and windshield (windscreen) for you mates! It's 115 degrees where I live and after years my paint hasn't faded, plus it's fast to use, spray on and wipe off! It's in a BLACK bottle. It has no wax or abrasives in it!

Can call "Armor All' at 1-800 222-7784 to ask where you can find it?

I'm upset "Wall Mart" carrys all the "Armor All" products except the "Car Polish", they use to carry it ??!!!

PS I had an old friend from "Kent, England" who use to slice a raw potato and rub it on his Windshield to repell the rain, old school remedy?!

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I've found over the years that Pledge furniture polish has worked very well. Removes bug splatter, too. I carry a small can with us on the bike with a very soft cloth.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

We all have our favourites, I'm now using Rejex.For years Iused Armorall Armor plate but it got hard to obtain here. The Rejex is a Polymer coating (much better than wax) and gives a very deep shine and the key thing is that it provides a high release surface so that all the bugs and tar etc literally just wipe off with no more than a damp cloth (no hard scrubbing). I use it on the paint and screens of the Wing and my big scooter (that gets used ever day) and all my helmets and one application sees the rain bounce off forat least twomonths (ie very much longer than any wax I ever used).
Rejex has no abrasives at all, so if you want to remove some fine scratches from your paint or screen then you will have to use another product first. Rejex goes on just like wax and wipes off very very easily with no elbow grease required. I applied it over the (now clean) wheels of my 1800 and it is doing a better job of slowing down the oxidisation.
I had to orderit from the US as the nearest other dealer is in the Channel islands and isn't too hot on answering the telephone.

Like I said, we all have our favourites. Rejex is mine. Loads of products literally claim miracles and like other people I've probably wasted more than my fair share of money on some of them, for once I found a product that actually performed exactly as it claimed to do.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Hey Steve, that "Rejex" sounds good! Never heard of it?

You say it's in the States? Who makes it? And do you have a Number to call to find out where I can get it?

It sounds just like the "Amor All" Car Polish, I'd like to try it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

Try http://www.e-tackle.com/they sell Rejex and lots of other stuff. I've heard nothing but good reports about it on other forums. It's nothing like the Armor All, Rejex is polymer tech (I suppose wax is dead with stuff like this around). I got a small sample sachet of it from a friend in the USA and I put it on my new Shoei lid and visor. The visor was still repelling rain a couple of months later and the bugs just wiped off the whole lid with little effort. The surface of the treatedareas feels sort of slippy (the high-release thing) but not wet or greasy and you geta brilliant shine from it as well. Only downside the wingnut forgot to mention is that you need to have the bike in out of the weather for 12 hours afterapplying the Rejexfor it to cure properly. You can apply more coats if you allow 8 hours between coats. If the bike is already waxed you really need to remove the wax or the Rejex will be less effective (can't bond properly to the paint if wax is still present), there's plenty of dewaxing products out there but plain old Fairy washing up liquid will do the job cheaper.

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
imported post

Here, try this stuff. It works great on car windscreens. I applied it to mine a while back and drove from Belfast back to Dublin, at night, in the pouring rain, and never used my wipers once. Fantastic stuff. I got mine at a car show about 6 years ago. Still loads left. Also seen at boat shows.

Now, I do not know how successful it will be on bike screens or helmet visors, 'cos I have neither, but it might be worth investigating.

Phil.

http://www.rainracer.co.uk/

G

·
imported post

I use Pro Honda Cleaner & Polish on the Windshield, :pWheels, :)Chrome, and all thePanels. ;) She still looks very pretty. :D The important thing to remember is, :cool:when cleaning the windshield, Dont wipe in circles, this will cause lines in the shield,Wipe up and down, or over and back. :dude:

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

I don't like the Honda Pro cleaner, as it says it is a "cleaner & polish". That's why you are getting lines Redwing when you wipe it in circles, the little lines are fine scratches caused by the polish! :shock:

It makes sense to only use a non abrasive wax and reserve using abrasive cleaners & polishes for when you really need them to remove scratches.

G

·
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
I don't like the Honda Pro cleaner, as it says it is a "cleaner & polish". That's why you are getting lines Redwing when you wipe it in circles, the little lines are fine scratches caused by the polish! :shock:

It makes sense to only use a non abrasive wax and reserve using abrasive cleaners & polishes for when you really need them to remove scratches.
FitzAl I dont have lines in the windshield, thats why I was explaining how to use it or any other cleaner for that matter. :cool:

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

It can be very hard to find waxes that don't have abrasives in them. They all want to give a good finish on the paint and part fo that is being able to remove the oxidized paint, fine scratches etc., hence the abrasives. Any wax that contains the words "polish, cleaner, removes fine scratches" etc. will have very fine abrasives and they rarely tell you this. Waxes that don't have abrasives will wave the flag aboutit.
A bike with new or unmarked paintwork won't need this so you need to hunt for non-abrasive wax. The Armorall spray wax was pulled off the market a couple of years back as it was allegedly causing some problems with water based paint used on some cars. It's back now with a new formulation and name. I liked it on my bikes as it had no abrasives but now I don't trust it. Polymer type coatings (I won't call them wax as wax is inferior to Polymer) is the future. Haven't tried the Rejex but it's been around a long time and is what I'd consider a tried, tested and trusted product simply because I haven't read a single negative post about it anywhere on the web forums.
Justa pity we can't buy it easily in Ireland. All the good stuff has to be sent away for, as usual.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

Chippy01 wrote:
Now, I do not know how successful it will be on bike screens or helmet visors, 'cos I have neither, but it might be worth investigating.
Phil, I don't think the rain dancer is suitable for the plastic screens. It seems to be similar to Rainex in that it will soften the hard outer coating on the screen. They are more suited for glass.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Well I'm sold on the ploymer stuff, I've just ordered 2 bottles of Rejex from the USA.

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
imported post

Jason wrote:
Phil, I don't think the rain dancer is suitable for the plastic screens. It seems to be similar to Rainex in that it will soften the hard outer coating on the screen. They are more suited for glass.

Now that is something I didn't know. Pity really, 'cos it's fantastic on glass.

Checked the shed this morning and found a small bottle of stuff given to me about 3 months ago.

It is called ""RENOVO. - The definitive plastic window polish. Cleans and conditions in minutes."" Thats what it says on the front of the bottle. On the back is a label that reads :- "Powerserve, RENOVO Sales 01 2871032 (Dublin number), Mobile 086 8513221

Now the bad news. The bottle I have is only 100ml, and the price sticker on it reads €24.

For that price it would want to be better than excellent.

Phil.

G

·
imported post

yellowwing wrote:
Well I'm sold on the ploymer stuff, I've just ordered 2 bottles of Rejex from the USA.
How is this stuff posted. Does it come direct to your home, or is it posted to GLS Ireland in Blanch. Then you have to pay more money for the upkeep ofMcCreevy & Company. :cool:

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

With stuff like wax the vendors will often mark the parcel as "commercial samples" and you don't have to pay duty on it. Some vendors won't do this (no harm asking though) so don't deal with them and find one that is more understanding.

G

·
imported post

yellowwing wrote:
With stuff like wax the vendors will often mark the parcel as "commercial samples" and you don't have to pay duty on it. Some vendors won't do this (no harm asking though) so don't deal with them and find one that is more understanding.
Could you give us the address and ph.no. of the company. Or better still you could order some more and Im sure you will have no problem selling it. :cool:

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

To continue on from a posting on the old Forum my wife Janet has been selling High Grade chemicals for over 18yrs to Industry in Ireland both North & South. She deals in the more expensive end of the market so naturally her stuff is excellent and has given us a good standard of living. I have been using one of her products called Re-Vision for some time now to clean all Plastic and Chrome on my bikes. It is excellent on the Chrome Garnish, Rotor Covers etc and takes the flies of your windscreen. It was originally produced as a glass & mirror cleaner as it cleans smear free and contains no abrasives or harmful chemicals.

I normally bring 1/2 a dozen litre bottles to the GB Treffen and sell them at £5 a go with the proceeds going to the charity. Anyone who went to Kelso and saw how clean the toilets were, will have seen an example of her products. Janet sponsered the GB Treffen at Kelso by supplying all the cleaning chemicals on site free of charge.

What I bring with menormally goes very quickly on a first come first served basis. It should be remembered that those annoying scratches on your screen and Chrome Garnish are not usually caused by the cleaning agent but by the grit and dirt already on your screen being rubbed into it. Re-Vision is water based with additives to leave a smear free finish on all surfaces. You simply spray it on liberally and gently wipe it off. It then drys, leaving a light buffing with a clean cloth to finish the job. I always carry a bottle to take off the flies before they harden.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

:)You better bring more than a half dozen to the treffen this year ,,we will pass the word around ,,you will have no trouble finding us ,,just look for the wings with the fly infested windscreens .:)Ciaran

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.