Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

In need to change my windshield due to scratches,haze and being old, i am looking for opinions on brands and charactristics.

Btw: anybody ever tried one of those memphis tinted windshields?
Here in italy tulsa is quite popular...

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

I have not used a tinted memphis, but our bike originally came with a clear standard one with no vent...we loved it, i could see over it during rain, yet still be down behind it if wanted to..

Tried tulsa once, caused way too much turbulence for co rider compared to memphis shade, so we sold it and put memphis back on until it cobwebbed on us(chemical got on it somehow, not anything memphis did) now we use a slipstreamer +2 w/vent, it is really nice also...

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

GWNorman wrote:
Would you need a tall shield like the Tulsa in Italy, with all that sunshine you get? ;)
hahaha, well...thanks god we have much less rain then uk but i guess it is sold more for his aerodinamic shape then anything else.

i tried a 1500 with a tulsa but i didn't like it due to that strange curve...looking out everything seams to be like my last friday night....lol

sure i like the vent...for as little it can help in summer time.

i read about several windshields but once i discovered that many are ticker then original one and i can't move them up and down...i got confused.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

Mine is one of the thicker ones-- no I can not adjust it, but being thicker the wind flexes it less and I get less turbulence. I forget the brand, but it is astockish replacement that ran about $100-$115 american was all. I chose to go without the vent for two reasons: Minimal real use and hard to dust the dash off. Sorry I forgot the brand, but I think I got it from Chromeworld.com.

I could email you a picture if you want.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Cee Bailey is the best windshield you can get..... many will agree.

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
imported post

You will find that asking which windshield to use is a very subjective thing. Kind of like which tire is best. :) Here is a picture of the one I bought for my 1500 when the old one got hazy and scratched. It is a Clearview shield with the vent in the standard height. I really like the vent. You get a lot of air coming back to help keep youcool in the summer with it fully open.

Clearview windshield

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

maybe this will help, ive got pics of all the shields ive had on the bike...here ya go....first is memphis shades...as described above, easiest to see over in rain, good protection for rider and co rider but i rank it 2nd best out of the 3....

Attachments

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

the tulsa like (slipstreamer tourshield), great for rider, but acts like a sail in hi winds (in my opinion) and co rider got a lot of turbulence not only side to side on her helmet but also seemed to be pushing her head forward....was on bike for 3 days only.....ranked 3 out of the 3....

Attachments

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

last one, +2inch above stock slipstreamer....this is best out of the 3, has a vent for when its hot and it helps, also adjustable up and down which memphis shades i could not get to do, it always stayed down.....i can see over it when raining if it is in down position which helps, and co rider loves it, says she rarely has any turbulence if any regardless of wind situation whether up or down, i prefer up if not going to rain...hope all this helps ya decide!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

pippomaranga wrote:
In need to change my windshield due to scratches,haze and being old, i am looking for opinions on brands and charactristics.

Btw: anybody ever tried one of those memphis tinted windshields?
Here in italy tulsa is quite popular...
I had the Tulsa tall and I kept hitting it with the helmet. After the accident I replaced it with the Slipstream stock. Thats the one I would suggest.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thank you all very much for your valuable opinion.
This forum is the encyclopedia of goldwing!

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey TM Driver Wannabe,

I am curious as to what the length of this windshield is if it was fully extended?

The one on my 1500 is not original (but looks very similar to yours )and I am really surprised at the buffeting that comes from it. My wife gets knocked around too much for comfort when the windshield is in its lowest position. I get knocked around a bit too. W haven't tried it together since I have raised it.

The right hand adjustment lever is broken and missing so the only way to adjust it is to remove the chrome piece in the front, put it up all the way and snug it back down and then replace the chrome piece.

I have a Slip Streamer on my 82 Aspencade and were snug as a bug in a rug with it.

Tim.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
imported post

Saving up for an F4 super scratch-resistant shield w/vent, next riding season, as the old one is done-for.
TTFN.......papasmurf :)

P.S. Now use Pledge on shield every time it needs cleaning but is , alas, too late for 17 yr.-old original.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:
Hey TM Driver Wannabe,

I am curious as to what the length of this windshield is if it was fully extended?

The one on my 1500 is not original (but looks very similar to yours )and I am really surprised at the buffeting that comes from it. My wife gets knocked around too much for comfort when the windshield is in its lowest position. I get knocked around a bit too. W haven't tried it together since I have raised it.

The right hand adjustment lever is broken and missing so the only way to adjust it is to remove the chrome piece in the front, put it up all the way and snug it back down and then replace the chrome piece.

I have a Slip Streamer on my 82 Aspencade and were snug as a bug in a rug with it.

Tim.

Dont wanna hijack thread here....send me a pm and ill answer any questions u may have !!! Ill have to measure it though ...lol

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

What ever shield you end up buying, keep in mind you'll want to be able to see over the shield for when you get caught out in a rainstorm. or out at night as the swirls/raindrops will refract light and make looking through the windshield difficult at best and down right dangerous at worst, as you won't be able to see anything trough itand could end up running into something!

Myself ... I replaced my stock shield with a -2" shorter than stockCee Baileys light gray tinted shield. I find it provides better protection than the stock OEM shield (it's wider) and there is no problem seeing far above the top of the windshield. (I'm 6' with a 21 1/2" torso)

Can't comment about how it affects the passenger however, as I rarely ride with one. :baffling:

OEM Windshield Cee Bailey's -2" Windshield

Compared to Winger77's cut down (-5")Tulsa Clone

Again ... I can't stress enough how important it is from a safety issue stand point (yours)of being able to see over the windshield and not just through it! :readit:

Lots of so called 'riders' say they never ride in the rain, or at night .... but ..... there will come a time. .... it's inevitable!

Me? ... I happen to ride in those conditions andquite frequently both at the same timeit seems. .... not really by choice ..... I just happen to get caught out in them, like inthe 1st full size photo of our bikes above. :? ;)

Dusty

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

One thing you mentioned is sure: you must be able to see over the windshield.
This summer i got in to a serious storm over the alps at night time, i couldn't stop and i had to keep driving and between the dark, the fog and the rain... Plus wind, i couldn't see a damned thing and couldn't also over the windshield and i dangerously tried to stand up while driving. Unforgettable night... Fallowed by 3 days of pouring rain.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
imported post

Here is a link to a website that offers lots of info about motorcycle windshields from proper height to cleaning, painting, repairing and "why" the vent is put in the shield

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Fairing.html

Being short the first thing I did when I bought my '98 wing was to cut down the stock shield about 3" so I could see over it.
***Before cutting your shield I recommend that you put it at it's lowest setting so you will have some "extra" should you cut it shorter than necessary. Even then I would cut it at least an inch or so taller than what you "eyeball" as the right height. Go for a ride if it's still too tall you can always remove more.
Easiest way I found to cut it is to mark the edge on each side left & right to the height you want it then clamp a thin piece of plywood about 3" wide (just wide enough so the a jigsaw will stay on the wood) to the outside of the shield on those marks...be sure to put something under the back side of the clamps so as not to mar the shield with the clamps. Then sit the jigsaw on the plywood and follow the edge. Using this method on a stock shield this will "square " the shield some, I did not find this was noticeable at all. Also depending on how much you remove it will stiffen the shield some so you won't see as much flexing of the shield when riding. After the jigsaw I used a file to smooth the cut edge, you could also use a hand-held portable electric sander

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
imported post

I have a Tulsa +4 on my bike, I really don't like it because I keep hitting my helmet on it everytime I exit the bike. I'm changing my windshield this winter to a F4 +2, one of the riders in our GWTA chapter has an F4 and I like the clarity of the windshield.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.