Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just purchased my first 'wing ('93 SE) and love it. The previous owner did something that put marks on the inside-top of the stock windshield. Polishing/cleaning does not clean it up well enough.
Question is - what are your recommendations for replacement. Stock? Some aftermarket screen? What do you use and what do you like?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Bigdave wrote:
Just purchased my first 'wing ('93 SE) and love it. The previous owner did something that put marks on the inside-top of the stock windshield. Polishing/cleaning does not clean it up well enough.
Question is - what are your recommendations for replacement. Stock? Some aftermarket screen? What do you use and what do you like?
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet Bigdave!:waving::waving:

I just got a Cee Bailey windshield for my 93. I ordered the stock size without vent since that's what I'm used to. I don't like a higher screen because I like to be able to see over the top and can't do that with a higher one. These aren't the cheapest but are very high quality.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/honda/index.html

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

800 grit used wet will remove quite a lot of scratches,it worked for me,it will leave the screen with a sort of matt finish which can then be polished back to clarity with a 'brasso' type metal/aluminium polish a soft rag and a lot of elbow grease, try it on a small area first. Might be worth a try before purchasing a new screen.

Good luck Stiggy

·
Registered
517 Posts
imported post

I put a Firecreek accessories adjustable windshield on my GL1500 and I like it a lot. Has a 6" adjustment range which is plenty. Easy to raise if you are going to spend an extended time in the rain.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Stiggy wrote:
800 grit used wet will remove quite a lot of scratches,it worked for me,it will leave the screen with a sort of matt finish which can then be polished back to clarity with a 'brasso' type metal/aluminium polish a soft rag and a lot of elbow grease, try it on a small area first. Might be worth a try before purchasing a new screen.

Good luck Stiggy
There is a product called 'micro mesh' that comes with a variety of increasingly fine wet sandpaper and polishes that can restore just about any acrylic, it takes a good bit of work but will bring back just about anything. I've used this stuff on aircraft after a bird strike and it worked well though it took a bit of effort. They havekits for hand and power use.

http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/aircraft_kits.htm

On the other hand these kits run about 1/3 or so of the price of a new windshield. It's a good deal if you have other plastic than needs work too since the kit covers about 90 square feet.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

I just got a 84 1200A and could not see through the windshield at all. I found that a $2.00 jar of Turtle wax Polishing compound took off any previous coatings or treatments the previous owner used. It took a few applications to clean it up but I am very happy with the results. I did not want to loose the windshield as the previous owner had it engraved with a large Eagle that was in excellent shape. give it a try.

Toolman

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

If the scratches are more than mere marks, rubbing with fine sanpaper will also remove the outer coating from teh screen. This coating forms in the heat shaping process and is what makes the OEM screen more resistant to scratching than aftermarket ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.