Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

There are few things more ravishingly sexy (to me) than my girl cleaning. One of those would have to be helping me clean my bike, but alas she was out earning a paycheck today, and I was home. So, instead of assisting her in and watching her perform the cleaning of my bike (which she has yet to have the honor of doing), I started myself. I have not cleaned the whole bike, so perhaps I shall put her to work this weekend. :)

Anyhow, to the point of this post. The person who owned the bike before me did not take good care of the windshield. He cleaned it religiously with a cleaner that says "NOT FOR USE ON PLASTIC WINDSHIELDS." Now, it does an amazing job, and helps bead water, etc. But over time, it has given the windshield a bit of a haze. I attribute this to the fact that he probably stripped the protective polish off the windshield. Additionally, he managed to get some cleaning scratches in the acrylic.

Today, I decided to polish my windshield. There are tons of products designed specifically to restore motorcycle windshields, with each varying in cost and effectiveness. Often, however, I find that there are great products for cars that work as good or better than products for motorcycles, and are far less expensive. Thus, I trekked on down to my local Auto Zone.

While there, I looked at plastic cleaners and polishes. There were several products that are made for de-hazing and de-yellowing plastic headlight covers, and this seemed like a good starting point. While perusing the choices, I saw a brand name I knew and trusted; Meguire’s. I chose the Meguire’s PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish; it was only $8.95, and was about the same price as all the other single products, give or take 50 cents. It claims on the label, as do the other brands, that it “removes cloudiness, yellowing, oxidation and fine scratches.”

I took a small dab of the product to an area of my windshield that would not cause any sight issues if I messed it up, and followed the directions on the bottle. I did both sides of the acrylic, and I was amazed! The haze was gone, the fine scratches were gone, and the deeper scratches were much reduced! The spot was noticeably clearer than the rest of the windshield, and had a smoother texture. It liked like the windshield should look with a clear protective polish.

I applied the product liberally to the windshield and wiped off, and repeated this on the other side. My windshield is now completely lacking the haze, the minor scratches are gone, and the deeper scratches are barely there. It’s like I have an almost new windshield again! Apparently, Meguire’s makes a kit for severely clouded plastic, and the final step puts on a protective polish. Unfortunately, the Auto Zone I was in had run out of the kit, and I bought the last of the product I did get. Interestingly, there were lots of the other products available. I’ll eventually buy the full kit, but for now, this appears to work just fine.

Please note, I am not saying that you should attempt this; I am just giving my experience. It has worked for me so far, but I do not know the long-term effects, nor if it will work on all acrylic windshields or tinted windshields. Your mileage may vary.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
imported post

Meguire’s PlastX, I must remember that. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I looked up their motorcycle line, and they have the exact same product under a slightly different name in a smaller bottle, made for polishing windshields. :) THe cost per ouz is about the same; slightly higher for the smaller bottle. Btu the PlastX can be bought at almost any auto parts store, so it is fare easier to acquire.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
imported post

Silventar,

I have a 1500 also with very fine scratches in the windshield. I bought the product you used and tried it. At first it looked loke it did the trick, but then when I went for a ride and the sun hit it direct on, all the scratches were still there. Does it take more than one application, and does it matter as to what direction you put it on?

Thanks,

Wingrider59

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

I have been using plastic polish for years. I recently switched to Meguiars PlastX too. I keep a small moist cloth soaked in plastic polish in a small resealable plastic ziplock type bag. I clean my windshield with it, and buff with a soft dry cloth. When it drys up a bit, like on a hot road trip, adding just a little windshield washer fluid (like from a squeegee rack at a gas pump) gives it a little more life. Makes a difference if you use it routinely every time you clean your windshield - my windshield is very clear.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Plexus is good, after a good buffing with acrylic compound. I use the plexus, cause it has oils in it that help polish out the fine scratches. 3M makes a polish called "Swirl Remover", and it's made of nut shells. Messy as heck, but REALLY makes the lexan pop. I use a buffing wheel on an air polisher, at low speed, and LOTS of water in a ziff bottle. I enjoy doing it when it's going well, but things can go bad quickly if you don't take your time. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Wingrider59 wrote:
I have a 1500 also with very fine scratches in the windshield. I bought the product you used and tried it. At first it looked loke it did the trick, but then when I went for a ride and the sun hit it direct on, all the scratches were still there. Does it take more than one application, and does it matter as to what direction you put it on?
An excellent question! I am still in the testing phase as I just applied it today, but I did two applications per side. I rode into the sun and oncoming headlights this evening, adn there are still some scratches, but they are greatly reduced. I will probably apply this polish once a week until the bottle is 1/2 to 2/3 gone and see what the results are. If I remember, I will post back here.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Daryl Martel wrote:
I have been using plastic polish for years. I recently switched to Meguiars PlastX too. I keep a small moist cloth soaked in plastic polish in a small resealable plastic ziplock type bag. I clean my windshield with it, and buff with a soft dry cloth. When it drys up a bit, like on a hot road trip, adding just a little windshield washer fluid (like from a squeegee rack at a gas pump) gives it a little more life. Makes a difference if you use it routinely every time you clean your windshield - my windshield is very clear.
Thanks Daryl! Wingrider59, see Daryls info, it looks like there is hope for our small scratches. :)

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

MichiganWing wrote:
Yeah that's nice but we still wanna see your girl doing it.
Maybe this weekend, or the following! hehe!

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

jimsjinx wrote:
Plexus is good, after a good buffing with acrylic compound. I use the plexus, cause it has oils in it that help polish out the fine scratches. 3M makes a polish called "Swirl Remover", and it's made of nut shells. Messy as heck, but REALLY makes the lexan pop. I use a buffing wheel on an air polisher, at low speed, and LOTS of water in a ziff bottle. I enjoy doing it when it's going well, but things can go bad quickly if you don't take your time. jimsjinx
Thanks Jimsjinx!I'll have to pull out my electric buffer and run her on low. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.