Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Has anyone out there installed the Windshieldsidewings sold by JC Whitney. They are designed to attach to the windshield. If so,where should they be attached? ie; how far down the side? Do they go loweron the sides toshield thehands from wind? The puney instructions are preatty much useless.Thanks for any advise, Brooks

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Hi Brooks, and welcome to our great forum. Is this for what year of bike? Is this shield about the same size as the original? I have an 85 and the oem shield with the wings still on it. Now I can do some measuring for you if it's the right year and bike. Let us know. :waving: :)

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Hawkeye, I have a 1980 GL1100. I just installed a 22" windhield, (2" taller than stock"). I was trying to decide whether to install these sidewings I just got on that windshield or exchange them for a wraparound windshield and change it out when the weather starts to get colder.I was wondering if I could achieve nearly the same protection with the sidewings as I couldinstead of replacing the windshield with a wraparound. It looks like they should be placed lower done on the sides.

Brooks

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
imported post

I made my own wings for the windshield the ones on the market were not big enough and didnt look right. I made them from plexiglass and some stainless mounts that I made. My windshield is 22 inches tall and the wings go from the fairing to the radius at the top of the windshield.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/808

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Keith, that looks great. I think I will do the same and build my own also. Do you remove them in warm weather? Thanks for the pictures. Maybe some other guys will take your idea as well. Thank you Brooks

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
imported post

Hi Guys,

I bought a shield of eBay a while back, and when it arrived it had wind wings on the sides. These wings, though, were hinged, and could be laid flat to deflect wind, or angled so that it brought wind behind the screen to the rider. In a way, it was a way to have a windshield vent on my 1100. I want to transfer them to my standard height screen, but I'm too chicken to drill my new plexi. :)

Jack

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.