Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Sorry but this is going to have to be done in a series of posts.

I decided to try and install a windshield vent on my 83 GL1100 Aspencadebut the only full sized vent I could find was for a GL1500. After a little self debate and some advice and encouragement from some of the members on the forum, I went ahead and bought it. My concern was that the curve of the 1100 windshield is different than that of the 1500. I think it is, but I decided it was close enough to try.

The tools I used are; Jigsaw with a 24 tooth/inch metal cutting blade, 3/8 inch point set drill bit, Permanent marker, Dremel tool with a deburring bit, duct or masking tape.

The vent came with instructions but I mounted mine a little lower.

First I placed the vent up to my windshield and checked the curve. There was a little difference in that my windshield curves more than the vent. Not much, but a little.

I removed all the trim and put the windshield at the hight Iwanted it. Then using the screws to LIGHTLY hold the screen in place, I positioned the vent where I wanted it and marked the two screw holes with a permanent marker.

You can see the screw mounting holes in the lower corners of the vent.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
imported post

Next I placed the screen on a work bench and using the paper pattern that came with the vent, I traced the outline of the vent onto the screen with a permanent marker.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

I put duct tape on the backside of the screen where I was going to cut to helpstop any flakingon the edges and the screen from cracking. Then with the 3/8" point set drill bit I drilled the two screw holes and the upper two corner holes. I drilled far enough on one side for the point of the bit to poke through. Then I turned the screen over and drilled all the way through from that side. I avoided chipping the hole edges that way.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

I covered the bottom of the saw with duct tape so it wouldn't scratch the windshield.

The saw blade fit in the 3/8" hole so I started cutting in the corner. I held the screen with my left arm keeping pressure down onto the screen keeping bouncing and vibration to a minimum. I slowly increased the speed of the saw while applying a steady forward pressure. At some point the RPM and pressure decided it was the right combination and the saw began to cut like a warm knife going through firm butter. Once it got going it was real easy, but it would also be real easy to push a little too hard go off the line so be careful. I cut from one corner to another until I had the hole pattern cut out.

The cutting went A WHOLE LOT BETTER than I was afraid it would!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

After the cut was made I cleaned up the line where I accidentally moved slightly in (thankfully not out) of the pattern line with my Dremel tool and deburring bit.

Then I checked the hole for fit. I needed to enlarge the two screw holes a little so I did that with the Dremel tool. I really expected the deburring bit to gum up with plastic but it never did. I was happy with the way the cut turned out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

The outside of the vent is wide enough tocover smallmistakes with the saw.

Once I got the hole the way I wanted it I put the vent in. I had to push in lightly on the screen to get the front half of the vent to lock into the hole. When I tried to lock the top of the back half in it wouldn't lock. The curve was greater than the curve of the vent. I probably could have forced it into locking down by pushing on the screen some more but decided I didn't want that much pressure on the vent. I put the two screws in on the bottom and it seems to be tight enough. I'm going to run it this way and see how it does at highway speeds. If it flexes to much or looks like it might break off I'll try and force it into locking.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

All in all it went very well! I had to remove the right speaker because the nuts were turning inside but that was no big deal!

I hope this will help someone who might be considering doing it themselves!:waving:

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
imported post

Fantastic! I've been thinking of doing this very thing, but was wary. Where did you get your vent, and how much did it cost?

Jack

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:Great Job!!!! :clapper::clapper::clapper:

How does it work? It looks a lot better than doing the Vetter type vents and you're only cutting one hole. I may try this but I still like my AC in the trunk. Just kidding. We took a ride out to Campo in East San Diego this weekend and it had to be in the 90's. The vent would have been nice on my 83 Aspencade.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

I had an opportunity this afternoon to run down the freeway. Keep in mind it was already about 106. At 70 something mph I opened and closed the vent a few times. I could definitely tell the difference. I'll get a better idea Monday on the way home from work.

We always pass Campo on our way up to the Laguna Mountains when we go camping. I cruised through there when I went on my 385 mile ride a month or so ago. I was happy to see that the campground we usually go to survived the fires last year! If I ever get some time off work I gotta pack the wife and kids up and head up there. It's a nice break from the heat! Maybe when school gets out in a couple of weeks.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

My friend Bill and I rode thru that whole area just 12 hours before the fire broke out. I've been on several rides since and it's amazing all the new growth. However we still see a great number of burned out trees and charred acreage.

Due to all the rains, we are very concern about the fire season coming up. If you get out this way, take a ride up Sunrise Hwy and up to Julian. The view is wonderful with San Diego and the Laguna mountains on one side and the desert on the other. In Julian, pick up some of the best Apple Pie in the U.S.

Let us know if your coming out this way. We have a great Goldwing chapter out here and we would love to show you around.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Jerry,

When I went on my last ride up there,me and a friend (he has a Suzuki Valucia 800) went up the back roadto Julian from the Salton Sea area. We really enjoyed the twisty turn-backs and steep road! Years ago I made the mistake of pulling (being pushed by) my 23" travel trailer and suburban down that road on the way home from a camping trip! It was a h*** of a lot funner going up iton my wing! Anyway we went up to Julian and looked around then went down to Ramona, had lunch, then back up through Julian and over the mountain on Sunrise Hwy. to I8. Then back to the hot desert and Yuma. We went from the 60's at the top of the mountain to the 90's at the bottom.

You are right about the pie. My wife still gives me grief over not bringing her one back!

It was a great ride! I'll let you know when I'm out that way again!

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Hey Bob:waving:, You did a great job presenting the windshield vent project with all the photos.:clapper:and instructions,...I do appreciate it.:)

:12red::cool:

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

I had a better opportunity to test the vent today. It definitely allows air flow onto the driver :dude:!I used to feel like I was in a vacuum with little or no air flowto my chest area and sweat would run down my chest. With the vent open my shirt is pasted to my chest and the sweat actually evaporates helping to cool me! There's not a difference like night and day orsuddenly having air conditioningor anything, but it does help!

The vent also closes all the way for rain or cold weather driving with a couple ofpre-setpositions in between.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.