Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I went for a ride today (42 degree) First time on my 82 interstate. First time on a bike with a fairing/windshield. I was amazed at how little air movement there was! I have always ridden to "cool off" a little. My question is - can I put a vent in the windshield to give me some ventilation come those 85 degree days? I have been searching but can't seem to find anything. Ideas - has anyone done this? I don't want to cut down my shield its the perfect height for cruising on the highway. You guys have not yet me down yet - I appreciate any and all suggestions.

:15white:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I ordered some of them Vetter type vents and cut some holes in my windshield and put them in. I got them for around $10 plus shipping for the pair. I'll try and dig up the vendor from another computer.

Raymond

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You can find OEM type vents at many Goldwing accessory dealers on the net. They wouldn't be hard to install. Also the Snap-in type vents that Silicon Sam mentioned can be found at aircraft supply houses such as AIRCRAFT SPRUCE AND SPECIALTIES, WICK'S AIRCRAFT SUPPLY. They both have online catalogs.

OEM type vents cost a bit more as below:

http://www.chromeworld.com/gl1500/fairings/fairing_parent.html

:waving::15red::waving:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

A vent is essential in hot weather. Sometimes it can be hard to breathe behind a screen with no vent. Of course it's much better than getting mouthfuls of flies and dust with no screen. :shock:

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the tips guys - BTW Sam - beautiful bike - Texas / Black (dark) bike - you definitely know what I'm talking about! I'm sweating just looking at the picture. :D

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
I ordered some of them Vetter type vents and cut some holes in my windshield and put them in. I got them for around $10 plus shipping for the pair. I'll try and dig up the vendor from another computer.

Raymond
Raymond,

I hope you can come up with the vendor for the vents....what did you use to cut the holes?

thanks,

dean_3326 :12red::12red::12red::12red::12red::12red:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Found my links. have them on the Mac, and I was on the PeeCee earlier.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/snapvents.php

http://www.ultralightnews.ca/airvents_uslk/

I used the first link, and I bought 2 sets, or 2 pairs of the CC3251 vents. For the cut outs, since it takes an odd sized hole, I just bought one of them adjustable circle cutters. They work great in plastic. I used one for many years when I was cutting big holes in Mac cases, installing fans.

The pic was taken with my new camera, just got it last week. Now you can tell the fairing don't match the rest of the bike. The original was banged up, and the bike will get painted someday anyways.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Raymond,

Thanks for the sites and info.....on the vents...have you had a chanceto try them out on a reallyhot day?It looks like it would be hard to use the hole cutter on a curved surface.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Here's an idea,

you could fit a couple of small 12v computer fans in the screen this would work better than just vents, when your cooking from engine heat when stopped in traffic switch them on and bingo a nice cool breeze. If you want something fancy get the type with coloured L.E.D.'s

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Raymond - you said you bought 2 sets - is that four total or are they 2 piecesper vent? Thanks for the links and info.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Yes, 2 sets is 4 vents total. Just wanted a spare set for just in case. Never used them either. I like having spare parts sitting on the shelf. Have a spare air filter, oil filter, etc...

As for the fans, I can pretty much guarantee the first time they get wet, they'll stop working. The computer case fans aren't made for it!

Raymond

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

I use the computer fans in my three wheeler to keep the under bonnet/hood temperatures down, come rain come shine they haven't stopped working yet! :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Raymond

Ordered my vents and the hole cutter last night - Thanks so much - I'll let you know how the job turns out.

:):)

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:

Raymond
Raymond,

Are you satisfied with the volume of air through these?

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

mjohnson wrote:
Raymond

Ordered my vents and the hole cutter last night - Thanks so much - I'll let you know how the job turns out.

:):)

Mike
Mike,

I too will be watching :shock:for your post as to how the job went..It looks like the way to go, if there is enough air through them to help in this Texas heat.......:stumped:.

Raymond should know about that he is in Texas too.:clapper:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

JOHNO wrote:
I use the computer fans in my three wheeler to keep the under bonnet/hood temperatures down, come rain come shine they haven't stopped working yet! :)
Johno,

I used to have a 3 wheeler, it had a cushman engine,7 hp....and one wheel in the rear.

Sort of like this one...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Nice motor dean, mines 45 bhp 95mph 65mpg carries 4 peopleand 2 dogs and great for the winter!!!

oooopps a bit off topic:gunhead:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.