Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

One item I would really like to see incorporated into a goldwing is a windshield wiper so that I can ride in all weather - probably just dreaming but who knows

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

canberra wingnut wrote:
One item I would really like to see incorporated into a goldwing is a windshield wiper so that I can ride in all weather - probably just dreaming but who knows
I found this on another site i don't think this is what your talking about but it's stillpretty cool.

Installed me the windshield wiper. It's designed for a GoldWing and fitted to my RSV with some minor changes. I had to shorten the wiper arm. The wiper wipes by hand and is very good to take the raindrops away sometimes. All parts are made from stainless steel except the changeable wiper.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

HOnda already has a windshield wiper for the goldwing, but it is only sold in Japan. found a pic of the GL1500 version.. and a little info HERE

Edit:Well they(Tripod) took away the link to the big picture (then put it back)... but they can't get this one...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

There was an aftermarket windshield vendor at Wingding in Greenville, SC last week that had them. They were replacing windshields all day long. The wiper motor was mounted bottom center with wiper going up. They are an electric motor and very compact. I'll look at the vendor list in my program and see if a name looks familiar. The also offer windshield treatment so the wiper won't scratch.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Go get a wiper motor of a small speed boat ,it is only small and will sit on top of the dash ,I have seen a few like this and they work really well ,You will need to drill a hole in the screen for the spindle to go through , Ciaran

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Plastic scratches.........no way to make sure it does not. How do I know this? I am a plumber and work hard.....hot, sweaty, sand gets on your hands.....on your clothes and you wipe your face......crawl under houses and you have dirt, dust, spider webs and junk......so you wipe your face again......your glasses get dirty.....fall off.....so you wipe them on your shirt tail......there they go....scratched up.

I have tried every kind of plastic lenses and magic sure to do the job coating that can be found for plastic lenses. They still scratch. I specifically had a pair of glasses made out of glass....it took a bit of time....they looked at me like I was crazy.....glass??

I do not think any plastic windshield will hold up to a wiper for very long. The very first time a truck or lorry runs past and covers you with road grime....and you make a swipe or two with the wiper.......there you go.......scratched up......Kit

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

I'm with Kit on this one, only way to cut down on that would be windshield washers and thats more drilling of holes. which I think would weaken the fairing...

Claude

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
imported post

For me, who wears glasses, when the rain starts, drop the face shield, then drop the Wing shield to the lowest setting to see over and it works reasonably well. Having to look thru 3 wet plastic layers sucks.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
imported post

wingnut wrote:
Kit is right, the wipers scratch the screens very badly. I've seen a couple of low mileage Japanese import GL1500's with the Honda wipers and the screens were ruined and completely unuseable for seeing through from the wipers. The bikes were otherwise in mint condition. The screens need to be made of much harder material to survive more than the occasional wipe.
Maybe polycarbonate but even then it won't last long term. Glass or forget it. And that's not going to happen.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

What might work, if someone could come up with a neat way to do it, is the type of wiper system found on ships.

There's a disc of perspex which spins at high speed and so stays pretty much rain free.

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
imported post

http://peerclear.com/home.asp

I installed one of these on my friend Steve's 1500. (See below).He's more than delighted with it as he can't see over the screen too well, especially in the wet......:doh:

It comes complete with all you need. I rigged upboth the constant wipe switch, and the intermittant touch pad switch for him........:action:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

At the Wing Ding in Greenville, South Carolina among all the other things on display with windshields was the F4 shields. And a windshield wiper with steel wool wrapped around it.

Okay could be snake oil, but I did see that. How long will it hold up, and dirt and grime and sand is not worn out and compressed steel wool, but does look like the F4 is at least some of what it says it is.

Kit

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
imported post

Didn't the company give Steve an F4 windshield to try? I thought I remembered something about that, but can't find the thread.:baffled:

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Yes indeed Sean, Don gave me a shield to try. I was saving it for someone who actually needed it instead of hogging it for myself and one of the lads here crashed his 1800 last summer and only rebuilt in before Christmas, so that was an ideal good cause for the new screen. I'll post the review soon.

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
imported post

wingnut wrote:
Yes indeed Sean, Don gave me a shield to try. I was saving it for someone who actually needed it instead of hogging it for myself and one of the lads here crashed his 1800 last summer and only rebuilt in before Christmas, so that was an ideal good cause for the new screen. I'll post the review soon.
Cool deal.:action:

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Why don't yo just get some of Honda's Plexus, and watch the rain just run off? It works for me. Much less expensive to.
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
At the Wing Ding in Greenville, South Carolina among all the other things on display with windshields was the F4 shields. And a windshield wiper with steel wool wrapped around it.

Okay could be snake oil, but I did see that. How long will it hold up, and dirt and grime and sand is not worn out and compressed steel wool, but does look like the F4 is at least some of what it says it is.

Kit
It won't. I talked to Don Frank, about their window. I was going to make some modifications. He told me, when finishing of the edges, use a file. The residue from sand paper or emery cloth would scratch the coating and thus, the window.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Along the same lines as what Munds Goldwing has reported,(although a lot cheaper and not as sophisticated)is Le Wipe

Only $29 and it wipes both sides of the windscreen at once. It also removes easily when not needed

Anyone tried one?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I have watched numerous threads about windscreen wipers on here and they always hold my interest, since I am one of those who would dearly like to have one so that I could have a taller screen and thus more protection.... BUT.....

This is how I see it, bikes that are supplied to Japan are by law required to have a windscreen wiper, so Honda supply the Wings with them on. They will however NOT under any circumstances sell to other countries. Now my take on this is that they know full well, that the wipers will scratch the screens on a Wing. Because of local laws they concede in Japan, to cover themselves, but they would not want the trouble that scratched windscreens would cause in other countries. Niteflyer,one of our members contacted Honda America asking to buy one and Honda flatly refused, so he made one himself.

I see on the Japanese one pictured, what appears to be a water jet nozzle to the left of the arm on the chrome bra, this would be absolutely essential in my mind for a wiper to stand any chance of not scratching the stock screens, or as Kit and others say, grit will get under the blade and do it's worst. This jet would need to soak the screen before the rubber blade started to move over the screen to lubricate it and allow dirt to be dispersed by the blade effectively.

Unless some firm develops a screen specifically to stand up to the scratch effect of grit and dirt, I fear they are not worth fitting.

This said, it would be nice if Honda did offer them for sale around the world for those who want them, but I doubt it will ever happen, unless they change screen material.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.