Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does anyone know of someone that does windshield engraving. I want to have an eagle engraved in the lower windshield area, and on the wind deflectors:action::goofygrin:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Wow, thanks, I really keep forgetting how vast the Internet is to find so many 'things' and all at you fingertips. Really mind boggling :weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

OK, so the places I checked around the Los Angeles area, are mostly trophy engraving. They tell me for what I want (free hand) would be more of the etching method. So once again, I'm at a loss. Anyone have this done and if so would you recommend anyone? I'm looking to put an eagle in the lower windshield and the deflectors.

I thought etching was more of a chemical thing, should have asked.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

Etching on glass is done with Hydrofluric acid.It would probably destroy plastic. Might consider a dremmel type of tool to carve the design or a decal. Pat

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Get yourself a small dremmel and a picture of an eagle ,, tape the eagle well to the inside of the screen and the trace the eagle using the dremmel on the outside of the screen ,It works fine ,all you need is a little patience ,Ciaran

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
imported post

wexy wrote:
Get yourself a small dremmel and a picture of an eagle ,, tape the eagle well to the inside of the screen and the trace the eagle using the dremmel on the outside of the screen ,It works fine ,all you need is a little patience ,Ciaran
:baffled:Would it not be better to tape the pic to the outside of the screen and Dremmel the inside? :baffled:The grooving caused by the etching would pick up some dirt that could be difficult to clean off. :(

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

This is Nightwing83's windshield, prior to his accident. This was done by hand by an Amish craftsman he found in Indiana.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

Some people specialize in engraving with the carver, http://www.toolcenter.com/turbo-carver/index.htm . Has a water mister so it wont melt the plastic but actually carve it.
I don't know where to find a person who can do this, maybe if you buy the tool you can take it to a tatoo artist? :baffled:

edit: wow that windshield looks nice :shock:

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

So, does anyone know if inside is better?

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
imported post

I remember when my dad had his 94 Mustang we put some decals on the inside of the 1/4 windows that looked like etched Ford ovals. Maybe you could get somebody who does vinyl stickers to print some eagles for you that look like etched glass. That way if you get tired of how it looks in a few years you can just peel it off.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
imported post

etch on the inside of winshield otherwise it will become impregnated with dirt and not look as good

and if you light the windshield the dirt will really take away from the total look

and Mikef the windshield survived it has a small crack in the lower left hand other wise it is in good shape it will be proudly displayed when I get the bike back on the road in the spring (hopefully)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

I did some glass etching a number of years ago by masking the pattern and then sandblasting the glass. If I was inclined, I'd pick up a scrap of plastic and see howthe method works on plastic.

For the experiment the pattern wouldn't matter. Try sand, beads, soda and walnut shells as a medium.

If it works OK a vinyl sign shop cn cut any pattern you can make graphics for. Stick it to the W/S and blast away.

The sign shop is often a good source of scrap plastic as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.