Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Windshields: Acrylic, Lexan, Polycarbonate or Lucite. What's your preference and WHY?

It's been awhile since a thread concerning this topic was posted and it doesn't bother me at all to start a new one. That said, whatcha think about the different windscreen materials.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I have always bought acrylic. I use either plexus or lemon pledge to clean it, always cleaning in an up and down motion not a circular motion. Yeah, with time it gets scratched and pitted, but I have had good luck buffing scratched that out every now and then. I have even sanded out deep pits before buffing with good luck. Eventually you have to accept that motorcycle windshields are disposable. With that knowledge I find acrylic windshields to be reasonably priced. Finally, I often cut my windshields to achieve the exact height I want. Acrylic is easy to cut and clean up the cut edge.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Lexan is polycarbonate
Lucite is acrylic, acrylic is Plexiglass

Lexan is MANY times more shatter resistant than acrylic, much stronger, no comparison. Acrylic is usually less expensive.

As to the "none of the above" comment...as far as I know, there are no other choices for motorcycle windshields, so going windowless would be the third choice.

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Lexan MR-10

Has a hard polycarbonate coating over softer core.

I prefer the formed windshield to that cut out of flat stock.

Think "Nascar windshields".

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Honda uses Lexan for a reason-it bends. A friend of mine went through his markland plexiglass shield in a 5 mph crash which shattered, ripping him wide open..he was lucky to survive.

·
Trike Master
1,216 Posts
Honda does use polycarbonate. However, I will say, if you get "launched" into it, it to will also break!
As to being scratch resistant and optically clear, IMHO there is one choice!
https://www.f4customs.com/
Most likely the last windshield you will ever need to buy!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
A friend decided to clean my oem 1500 shield with Windex glass cleaner one day, removing parts of the coating...that sob :<)

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I have bought two windshields from Cee Baileysfor two different Goldwings. One About 3 years ago and one a few months ago. I really like them and both are still in great shape.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Honda does use polycarbonate. However, I will say, if you get "launched" into it, it to will also break!
As to being scratch resistant and optically clear, IMHO there is one choice!
https://www.f4customs.com/
Most likely the last windshield you will ever need to buy!!!!!
Pricey yes but if it sheds rain as the video showed it would be worth it's weight in gold to me. I'm definately going to replace my windshield with this product this fall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.