Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is anyone familiar with windshields by F4 Customs. I am planning to replace my current windshield and this is one of the brand names I am considering. They sound pretty amazing, but would like to hear from someone who actually has experience with one.



Thanks in advance.



-theolcountryboy
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I'm wondering if they are really as superior to other brands as claimedin regards to shedding water, having great visibilitie during rain, etc. Basically are they as good as the manufacturer says they are.
 

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
Joined
·
12,838 Posts
imported post

I don't have one but figured when I'm due for a new windscreen it would likely be one of these. I saw the demo, that is also on the video on their home page, at Wing Ding in Billings Montana and they had the wiper with the steel woolrunning on the demo shield all day long. One half of the shield was standard lexan the other half has the F4 coating on it. The lexan side was so scratched you couldn't see through it, the F4 coated side was still clear as could be with no evidence of scratching.

John
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,419 Posts
imported post

theolcountryboy wrote:
I'm wondering if they are really as superior to other brands as claimedin regards to shedding water, having great visibilitie during rain, etc. Basically are they as good as the manufacturer says they are.
Well ... I don't know about the other brands (never used them). It is vastly superior to the OEM window. The water just flies off the thing. If you're going over 35 mph. The down side is, the water loops right over the edge and on to you and everything else. Does it shed water, absolutely. Does it help you stay dry, not even. You'll have just as much water on your face shield with or without the F4.

With that said....I use the Micro-Swirl Edging. This solves the looping over problem. the water just moves over to the sides and top and is channeled down the side ofhte window. This works well.

Then there is the vent. Water pours through this like a running faucet. The only thing I have found that works is, the Handyman's best Friend, duct tape. The coating on the F4 seems to be resistant to the glue on the duct tape. In that the residue left, after pealing the tape off, cleans right off.

It is a thicker window, this got rid of the buffeting I was getting with the OEM window.

This help any?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,419 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
I don't have one but figured when I'm due for a new windscreen it would likely be one of these. I saw the demo, that is also on the video on their home page, at Wing Ding in Billings Montana and they had the wiper with the steel woolrunning on the demo shield all day long. One half of the shield was standard lexan the other half has the F4 coating on it. The lexan side was so scratched you couldn't see through it, the F4 coated side was still clear as could be with no evidence of scratching.

John
It will scratch. For example grit will scratch it. If you were to wipe it down with a rag that you had dropped on the ground and got some grit on it, this will scratch the coating and the window. The steel wool thing is a marketing trick. I still think it is a good window. Just want to get this out so you know.
 

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
Joined
·
12,838 Posts
imported post

ScooterTramp wrote:
Jluvs2dive wrote:
I don't have one but figured when I'm due for a new windscreen it would likely be one of these. I saw the demo, that is also on the video on their home page, at Wing Ding in Billings Montana and they had the wiper with the steel woolrunning on the demo shield all day long. One half of the shield was standard lexan the other half has the F4 coating on it. The lexan side was so scratched you couldn't see through it, the F4 coated side was still clear as could be with no evidence of scratching.

John

It will scratch. For example grit will scratch it. If you were to wipe it down with a rag that you had dropped on the ground and got some grit on it, this will scratch the coating and the window. The steel wool thing is a marketing trick. I still think it is a good window. Just want to get this out so you know.
Thanks. I didn't expect it was indestructable or totally scratch proof, just that it was considerably more durable than the stock or standard lexan screens. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,419 Posts
imported post

One more thing .... If you like the adjustable part of the OEM window, you will not like the F4 (don't know about the 1500's, you'll have ask on this one). Because of its sturdier design, it will not go up and down. The lower corners are flush (more or less) with the dash. This is done to make the window stiffer. So they get in the way of any downward movement and the mounting holes do not allow for any adjustment either.

So size it carefully. I am 6'4" and the window hits me right just below the bridge of the nose. I can see, comfortably over the top of it. When I have the edging on, there is a half inch, directly in front of my eyes, that is blocked. When it rains, the water spreads outward and is channeled down the side of the window. This channel is, about, a half inch wide. This does obstruct my view, about an inch total. Even so, I can still look under or over this comfortably. this more annoying than anything else. I have gotten used to it and only use the edging when it rains (keep it in the trunk).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for your input. I have watched the video on the web site that John spoke about and that was what caught my attention. Also looking at the testimonials on the site people mention cleaning the windshield with ordinary window cleaner and paper towel. To your point that it does scratch, one of the testimonials says that the fellow doesn't use micro cloths as they pick up and retain dirt and sand so I guess that is one thing to look out for.



Regarding sizing, if I was any shorter I'd have to carry a stool to get on the bike (about 5' 3/4'') so unless I had one custom made, I will have to look through the windshield all the time. That is why the water shedding and visibility is so important to me. I know there are two schools of thought regarding looking through or over a windshield, but I've never had one I could look over. Maybe I should cut my existing one down and try it before ordering a new one. That way I would have an idea of which I preferred.



Thanks again for your comments.
 

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
Joined
·
12,838 Posts
imported post

theolcountryboy wrote:
Maybe I should cut my existing one down and try it before ordering a new one. That way I would have an idea of which I preferred.
I would if it were me. I don't like looking through them at all personally. Do you ride with a passenger? If you do, cutting it down to where you can look over it may not work so well for your passenger.

John
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22 Posts
imported post

I have had mine for a couple of years now and I like it better than the factory shield. I did not get the vent in this one because I had some bees comein the other one and left it closed just about all the time after that. Much easier to clean without the vent to.I have no problems getting bugs off even when dried , just spray with glass cleaner and wipe with a paper towel.It is not adjustable and mine is the tallest one, like said before water tends to come up over the top but it sheds it very well.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I decided to take your advice and I did cut my windshield down a few weeks ago.So far I find that I like being able to see over the top. I get a little more wind noise now, but nothing too bad. I have yet to experience riding in the rain with the modified windshield, but for sure the visibility will be better.

Thanks for the suggestion.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top