Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Been thinking of getting a "Tall" windshield.Need somePro's &Con's. Do they take a long time to get use to? What's a good make, there are so many to choose from, Typhoon, Tulsa, Slipstreamer, Memphis Shades & I beleive FireCreek. Input would be appreciated...

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

Hi,

I have a Slipstreamer that I bought for about $130 last October. It's easy to get used to (I do mostly dry weather riding, no rain to contend with), but I will make one warning - it makes your bike a veritable traveling OVEN in warm weather. It's a great thing in winter to be shielded from the wind, but in the summer it sets up a "dead wind" area right in front of you, and you can pretty much fry eggs on the false tank. Heck, I feel like I nearly fried MY "eggs" when the temps got to high 80s F. I went back to my stock shield, and it helps greatly, but I'm thinking of cutting that one down about an inch or so as well.

Jack

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Mikea, what model wing do you have?

For rainy weather, which we seldom have here , I like to be able to peek over the top of the shield!

And be ready to hang on to the bike with a tall shield in a 40 to 50 mph crosswind/angle wind?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

jsmith24 wrote:
Hi,

I have a Slipstreamer that I bought for about $130 last October. It's easy to get used to (I do mostly dry weather riding, no rain to contend with), but I will make one warning - it makes your bike a veritable traveling OVEN in warm weather. It's a great thing in winter to be shielded from the wind, but in the summer it sets up a "dead wind" area right in front of you, and you can pretty much fry eggs on the false tank. Heck, I feel like I nearly fried MY "eggs" when the temps got to high 80s F. I went back to my stock shield, and it helps greatly, but I'm thinking of cutting that one down about an inch or so as well.

Jack
Hey Jack, don't know if it's worth it, but I think you can have a "Vent" put in that "Slip Streamer" for summertime, they work great?!:baffled:

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
jsmith24 wrote:
Hi,

Jack
Hey Jack, don't know if it's worth it, but I think you can have a "Vent" put in that "Slip Streamer" for summertime, they work great?!:baffled:
Or you can do it yourself. I put one in my 83 Aspencades (stock) windshield. Simple and cheap.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/snapvents.php. These people have the pop-out vents like you might find in a aircraft. All you need is a 3 1/4 inchhole saw and a few minutes to install them. They're clear plastic and help reduce that low pressure area. If it's really really hot, you can just pop them back out and you now have two 3 1/4 inch holes to let the air blow straight on through. Or in my case, 4 holes. I've put about 4000 miles on them with no cracking problems in the windshield.

Yes I actually put four of them in my windshield. Looks kind of odd, but definitely helps the heating problem. I also added the fairing wind wings from JCW to bring in air from the side.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

wind wings will blow the hot air away, I have a tall windshield and I was miserable before I put on the wind wings.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

Bob,

I am interested in installing a vent in the windshield of my 83I. Can you post a picture of the completed project and let me know where you purchased your vent?

Thanks,

Billy

·
Premium Member
860 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

Thanks, it looks good. I think I will tryto get that done sometime soon. While we may not have temperatures in the 110's. This 100 degrees with 65% humidity is pretty tough.

Thanks, Billy

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

bmoore106 wrote:
Thanks, it looks good. I think I will tryto get that done sometime soon. While we may not have temperatures in the 110's. This 100 degrees with 65% humidity is pretty tough.

Thanks, Billy
Hey Billy:waving:Don't worry that cold front is going to be here tomorrow and it is expected to only be 96 degrees.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

1996 SE Goldwing, all above windshields have an option for air vents, If I purchase one it will have an air vent, is there a glare issue?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

mikea wrote:
Been thinking of getting a "Tall" windshield.Need somePro's &Con's. Do they take a long time to get use to? What's a good make, there are so many to choose from, Typhoon, Tulsa, Slipstreamer, Memphis Shades & I beleive FireCreek. Input would be appreciated...
Sure going to be interesting in the rain or when it gets bug smeared and then rained on. I just gotta see over the top of mine.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

I love my extra tall windshield, but then again I do not live where it rains a lot like Exavid does, When bugs get smeared, I clean them off, it is all a matter of choice. They say you can tell a happy motorcycle rider by the bugs on his teeth.:goofygrin:

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
imported post

I have a firecreek manual adjustable on my GL1500 and REALLY like it. much superior to the stock windsheild. I adjsut it so I can look over it for most riding and raise it only for heavy rain or extremely windy days. The gap between the lower and upper windsheild allows a layer of air thru that I believe helps direct the oncoming air stream over your head so there is very little wind in your face. on hot days I use my aftermarket fairing deflectors to deflect air on to me so I don't get hot behind the windsheild.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

cldryder wrote:
I have a firecreek manual adjustable on my GL1500 and REALLY like it. much superior to the stock windsheild. I adjsut it so I can look over it for most riding and raise it only for heavy rain or extremely windy days. The gap between the lower and upper windsheild allows a layer of air thru that I believe helps direct the oncoming air stream over your head so there is very little wind in your face. on hot days I use my aftermarket fairing deflectors to deflect air on to me so I don't get hot behind the windsheild.
That sounds like the way to go.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
imported post

Rather than the Tulsa I saved money and bought the Big Bike Parts tall sweptback, vent and all for $166 US delivered: http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/stores/product.asp?pid=2910&str=4&ID=361359110

You have a tendency to bonk your noggin on the screen when climbing aboard a bike with a tall windshield. I notice a LOT less buffeting and fewer insects etc. hitting my face shield. I can peek over the top when it's raining but actually it takes a good steady rain to make me do that, in a light drizzle I can still see fine through it. Any harder than that I generally stop anyways.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.