Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I rode all last summer in lovely Ohio's humidity and roasted my little buns off. I get absolutely no wind over my XL tulsa shield. Is there anyplace out there i can get a "sport shield" that's only 8" or so tall?? I'd really like it to be in the middle of my chest, leaving my upper body mostly in the wind. I ride it daily usually, at least until I find another bike to ride daily and keep this particular wing nice! Thanks

Adam

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

Yes there is a Euro Sport windshield for your 1500. JC Whitney sells them $119 and $135. I have one in great condition. Would let you have it $75. Let me know.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

hearsekid wrote:
I rode all last summer in lovely Ohio's humidity and roasted my little buns off. I get absolutely no wind over my XL tulsa shield. Is there anyplace out there i can get a "sport shield" that's only 8" or so tall?? I'd really like it to be in the middle of my chest, leaving my upper body mostly in the wind. I ride it daily usually, at least until I find another bike to ride daily and keep this particular wing nice! Thanks
Funny you should ask that...I live in Ohio, drive through the summer heat, and I just did the opposite - replaced my small windshield[/url] with a large wraparound. However I did it to try to reduce buffeting for my wife, who really gets tossed around back there on the highway.

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

My Windbender is adjustable and I like it. I got some Ohio bugs on it last summer too. :action:

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

from what i understand, theres no hope for the passanger. they get beat up no matter what. i have the tall windshield on my 1500 and she still gets blasted.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

My guess is the way the windshield works, like an airfoil, the air once deflected by the windshield rushes in to fill the vaccum creating the turbulence. The windshield probably makes the buffeting worse.

I know that when you ride without one, you get a steady push on your chest but the only buffeting is by big trucks or some kinds of cross wind.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I'm recently single, so rarely is there ever anyone on the back of my bike. Not an issue ;)

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
imported post

One of the Wingriders here in SA made a perspex\hard plasticshield that he fitted sort of between the trunk and the rear seat and according to him the back turbulence that happen on the open Road is zero. If any people would want me i can take a photo this weekend of the shield and post it.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

That sounds rather interesting, take some pix if you could.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

SA Wingrider wrote:
One of the Wingriders here in SA made a perspexhard plasticshield that he fitted sort of between the trunk and the rear seat and according to him the back turbulence that happen on the open Road is zero. If any people would want me i can take a photo this weekend of the shield and post it.
I had wondered about doing something like that - kind of like the wind deflectors that fit behind the seats in convertibles:

·
Premium Member
731 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
imported post

SA Wingrider wrote:
One of the Wingriders here in SA made a perspexhard plasticshield that he fitted sort of between the trunk and the rear seat and according to him the back turbulence that happen on the open Road is zero. If any people would want me i can take a photo this weekend of the shield and post it.
As Promissed:

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Nifty...

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

Nice-looking bike! If you find one, let me know. I have the same problem, but on an older wing - 1981 GL1100 - heat is a major issue for me in South Georgia

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
imported post

Guys, Hearsekid, GS, Beachbuddy, ..

I drive an 1800, so I'm not really familiar with how the passenger gets beaten up on your bike, but I face similar issues.I suspect that being only one generation apart my solutions might help you..

The major source of passenger buffeting for 1800 owners is the wind coming in under the mirrors. Baker has an inexpensive and remarkably effective solution.. Hand Wings. http://www.bakerbuilt.com/gl1500%20gold%20wing.htm

A little more expensive, but also extremely effective are the Air Wings.

On the 1800, these make a major difference to my co-rider, and youi can adjust them for more airflow in warm weather.

Once you have the incoming air from the sides smoothed out, you can address the windshield issue. The windscreen creates a pocket of low pressure air behind it. The air forced up over the screen collapses back into the cockpit area, usually right where your passenger sits. The Tulsa design moves this area further back by being taller. Another option is the Windbender. http://firecreekacc.com/Windbender_st.htmlI use the ST (taller, wider, squarer than stock) when my wife is on board. I like the HP for hot weather / solo, and if you want a real shorty, the HP-S would fit the bill. This is a split screen design, so gthe low pressure area doesn't form behind it. And the little flip on the HP directs the windblast up and over both of you. The Windbenders are also quieter than stock.

This helps me, your mileage may vary..

Dave

rocketmoto.com

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.