Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, having replaced the front fork bushes I noticed a lot of back and forth movement in the lower fork legs. I know the forks have to slide but the movement seems excessive . The bike has done 270,000 ks. Has anyone ever machined sleeves to fit inside the fork legs to reduce the play between bushes and inside of the legs,.

·
Administrator
26,563 Posts
imported post

Any movement you can feel is excessive. I suppose machining a sleeve into them would be the thing to do if you could not find replacement parts.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

There should be no side movement, the idea of having bushes in there is to eliminate side movement. The inner bore of the leg could be worn and letting the bushes move side to side.
If you have to sleeve the legs, you need to get the correct original inner bore size to avoid the sleeve binding the bushes, or breaking them.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Depending on the amount of play and it's source, you may have stuff loose anfte your rebuild...

But == if you're sure that all is installed correctly, you may wanna address the accumulated ollerences by dimpling the the bushings... One of the issues though is that the "wear" is usually localized so, what is tight at loaded height may be TOO TIGHT as the slider travels.

Dimpling practices should be all over the web ( here's one ) the idea is that dimpling displaces surface material in a "crater" like shape, and the 'rim' of that crater will act to add thickness to the bushing.

If your wear is uniform (be sure to test for full length of travel), supre easy way to go, just takes a little time and test-fitting

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.