Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the 2013 Wing Ding is in South Carolina this year and the wife and I are thinking about going. I asked her last night if she wanted to go or not, since we have never been to one and it being so close to us.

She asked me what happens at a Wing Ding? I said, well I don't really know per se but I got on the Wing Ding website and looked around a bit. Seems like it could be a good time but also seems like it could be less.

So, I decided to ask those here that have attended one before, what really goes on at a Wing Ding? Is it really a good time or not? We love to ride and that would be what we would want to do the most, at least during the day. Hanging with like minded people in the evening is also a pastime of ours.

Any recommendations as far as what events not to be missed and ones that are to be avoided. I will say that I am not that interested in spending several hours in a class on riding the GW, neither is the wife.

Checking out the vendors will probably be something we both would enjoy as well as the poker runs. I see that they is an outdoor concert and fireworks show on the 4th and that sounds like a good time.

Anyway, any info, pro or cons, would be appreciated.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
I've only been to one, in Billing's Montana. The poker run was a joke. It was not an organized poker run. You paid your fee, they had you draw some cards right there and that was your hand. They then gave you some maps of suggested rides but there were no check points and you didn't even need to ride to participate because the poker part of it was right there at the check-in.

There were a lot of vendors and that was fun.

The bike show was cool.

The Grand Parade was fun.

The bike games were fun.

The light show was cool.

The outdoor concert & fireworks were great.

The Honda & other test rides were fun.

Riding with others during the day was difficult at best. I tried hard to find groups to ride with and only found one group for one day, and they were people I already knew from home. I met lots of people but nobody wanted to ride or they just didn't want me in their group, not sure which. There are lots of people on the forum that would tell you I'm not that hard to get along with either. I was riding a 1200 at the time and that may have contributed to this issue as there is some 1800 snobbishness with some of the GWRRA. This was just my experience and you may find it different.:? Since you ride an 1800 that last part won't apply to you anyway. ;)

Since it is so close to you, I think you should go. It will probably be worth it. Personally I wouldn't go very far to go to another one though. I'd rather spend my time riding. :action: Others here have had a different experience and will tell you they are great. :waving:

John

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
I was thinking of going only because I live in Greenville where this is being held. Do you have to be a member of GWRRA to attend ? this sound a bit better than the yearly motorcycle shows that pass through here.
I did the trial membership 3 years ago, and dropped it because all three local chapters I visited, were just social clubs. No one wanted to ride. I won't pay to join just to attend.

·
12,841 Posts
I was thinking of going only because I live in Greenville where this is being held. Do you have to be a member of GWRRA to attend ? this sound a bit better than the yearly motorcycle shows that pass through here.
I did the trial membership 3 years ago, and dropped it because all three local chapters I visited, were just social clubs. No one wanted to ride. I won't pay to join just to attend.
You do not have to be a member to attend. They charge a little higher admission for non-members but membership is not required. :waving:

The social club thing is the reason I'm no longer a member too. I tried very hard to get my chapter to ride, but it was in vain. Great people there, they just aren't riders. That's OK, just not for me. I'd rather spend my free time riding than going to meetings.

John

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback, although I thought that I would get more responses.

·
12,841 Posts
I think you will. The forum is just not very active right now. :waving:

John

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just tryin' to keep the driveway shoveled,takes up most of my time !

;)
My step-daughter, son-in-law and grandkids live in Watertown, NY. She sent pics today of the snow they have gotten recently. :shock:

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Fender,

Definitely go.

There will be plenty of things to pick from to do that you will surely fill the time and enjoy yourself. You don't need to spend the whole 3 & 1/2 days there to see it. One full day should do it unless you're a GWRAA member and will be attending seminars, meetings, etc. You're so close that you could pick and choose from scheduled events and come and go over a couple days as you please.

My wife and I have been to a few Wing-Dings and the one that was held in Greenville a few years back was our favorite. Great city, good venue, had a good time.

The bike show and lighted bike show are fun. If you are looking for bike related things to buy, Wing-Ding is hard to beat... more vendors there in one place than you're ever likely to see under one roof! And tell the wife they have not forgotten her either. There are plenty of vendors there specifically for the ladies as well, both motorcycle related and non motorcycle related. We also enjoyed watching the precision drill team. Those guys are amazing. Wish I could do slow riding that good. The test rides are a nice feature. The wife and I had never ridden a trike before, so we took a test ride on a Hannagan trike. We did not participate in the Grand Parade since it was just waaaaay to hot that summer to sit and wait in the staging area.

PS) A long-time friend of mine from Atlanta, Walter Anderson, now lives in Sumter. Wonder if you know him. He rides!

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bob,
Thanks for the feedback on the Wing Ding. The wife and I are about 95% sure we are going. Since we are new wing owners, we are thinking the vendor show would make the trip worth it. Plus, I know there are some good roads for motorcycle riding in that area.

I don't know Walter but would like to meet him. We have joined the local GWRRA and hope to attend some of the meetings and get to know some local Wingers. Right now I don't know any other locals that ride a GW, although we have been here for 20yrs.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Man, I'm not quite getting this here, probably because I'm Mr. Solo...You're saying that some of these groups are socialites meaning they don't want to do any organized rides or anything like that? Is this what I am understanding...And they want you to pay a membership for this? am I undersstanding that correctly too? Man, once I crawl onto my 1100 I don't wanta get off for a while..That's all I do is ride..I enjoy chatting too but riding is a priority..One reason I'm Mr. Solo is because I enjoy doing stuff on a whem, if I'm riding through a town and they are having some event going on I might wanta stop to see what's going on, perhaps a another rider wouldn't...Bummer..And so many times others want to haul butt, especially at stop lights, I can do that but I sometimes just like to run through the gears like your supposed to..What the hells their hurry..Hurry up and stop.. Nobody and I mean nobody ever should be left out of a ride or uninvited, that's terrible especially from Goldwingers..Doesn't matter how new your bike is or how much money you have, if you think you are in a different category or better than someone else, you are a piece of doo doo.....Another reason I'm Mr. Solo..I do hear though that these Wing Ding programs are fun probably can't base one bad experiance to another..My ex-wife burned me and current and only wife I've bee with for over 25 years and she ain't burned me yet..

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I understand what you are saying about putting miles behind you on the GW. The wife and I like to ride and mostly we ride alone. We do have a small group that we ride with ocassionally, but they seem stuck in a rut of late, so we haven't rode with them in a while.

I joined GWRRA for a couple of reasons, number one for the Gold Book. Also signed up for the Rescue Plus. I also remain optimistic that I will meet some like minded riders in my local or state groups that the wife and I can do some rides with. One cool thing that seems to be a favorite past-time with GW riders is stopping at a Dairy Queen and the wife and I love dipped cones from DQ. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Fender60 come visit Chapter L in Cheaspeake VA, we love to ride and lvoe to eat. Those 2 seem to go together. good group of people, and that can vary from chapter to chapter. Just need to fine one that fits you.

Ritchie MEC

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
It's a secret.

What happens at Wing Ding stays at Wing Ding.

:raspberry:

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
I guess I am just not getting around the wrong groups but we met up and rode a few times with a Georgia group and then found a chapter in N.C. to join. There is always a ride to go on or if you tell the others you are off a certain day or days you can always find someone to ride with you. We have never turned down another rider just because we dont know them. We get to know them on the ride and unless they are dangerous we will include them in the future. I am so glad we got into a goo group. We have our meetings but they are fun and active. Usually we have a day ride after the meeting. We have made friends from all over the country now. It is a blast. And yes I do a lot of solo riding when I just need some think time or I want to go off and take photos. That way I can stop as often as I want to do as I want without holding up the group. I like both groups and Solos. Memberrs and non members alike.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well we decided we will go after all, I booked our motel tonight.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
The biggest thing in your favor, is the fact you are NOT in a group! You can come and go as you wish, ride when you want too, etc. As a member, and past educator for our chapter, I can tell you, you will have fun. I would suggest,however, if you are planning to buy a goodie for your bike, shop around first. Sometimes, the "deals" are not so good at Wing-Ding. Not to say you can't find a good price on something, but the vendors charge what they want at the time. I don't like the fact that there is a fee for admission, but I suppose it is worth it. There are so many different chapter personalities at these things, you surely will find people you relate to, and enjoy thier company. I would go if it were close, but I never go when it is an iron butt situation to get there! Glad you are going, and only you will know if it was worth it. One thing is absolutely guarenteed... you will see more GoldWings and models, than you ever thought possible, in one place. Enjoy! And have fun! jimsjinx

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.