Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board so "Hello" to everyone out there. I've got a 1983 Goldwing Interstate that has seen some moderate neglect from the previous owner. I've had it for a few years now and it's pretty well in order. Now, I have a problem I'm trying to figure out.

When I went to ride it back in December, it cranked momentarily then died completely. No lights oranything. I suspected the problemwas the burned-in-the-past wire connector that goes to the starter solenoid. After rewiring those 4 wires to make proper contact, the motorcycle lights came on with the key and it cranked like it was going to start. I ran the battery down trying to start the engine. I recharged the battery overnight and tried again next morning. No luck. It just cranks but does not start.

I tried pulling a spark plug and grounding it against the case and cranking. It had a good spark. I checked the air cleaner and tried cranking with it removed with no luck. I checked the fuel pump and it pumped fuel. I replaced the fuel line from the tank to the pump and the fuel filter. No luck. Next, I pulled off a spark plug and inserted a rolled up papertowel into the cylinder and cranked. It came out dry. So, I pulled off the air intake and cranked using full choke and no choke. Even though there's fuel in the tank and in the lines, there was no fuel coming out of the carb into the intake.

It sounds like I've got everything I need but fuel to the cylinders. Any idea what that would indicate with the carb? Stuck float? Clogged jets? Is there a way to clean the carb out and get it working short of removing it from the bike and disassembling it? Or is there another diagnosis? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

pac13man

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

Welcome Pacman,
Others will kick in here, give them a little time. You really should not see gas in that air intake. If you do, then you for sure have a carb problem.
If you think you are not getting gas to the carbs, you have switched kill switch on and off couple times, then you can pour a little gas into that air intake under filter and see if she hits then. Should always have fire extinguisher handy anytime you start her up with filter off.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the float valve in the number three carb is stuck. Thsi is where fuel for all four carbs comes in. I would recomend a few light raps with te handle of a screw driver to tht enumber three carb and see what happens. If that doesn't produce any results then you might drop the bowl from the number three carb to see fi there is fuel in it. If there is, problem may be elsewhere if not the then float valve is most likely stuck.

good luck.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Sorry, I meant to say "Intake Manifold" the number 1 cylinder, not "Air Intake". That would worry me too lol! No, the number 1 intake manifold is dry as a bone when cranking the engine. Kill switch was in the "Run" position. No fuel noted coming out of the carb.

pac13man

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

With the sparkplug removed there is no vacuum to draw fuel out of the carb(s).
I would go with morriscatt's suggestion first. You might also consider disconnecting the outlet from the fuel pump and utilise a short hose into a suitable container to prove whether or not the pump is working.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the input. I tried flipping the kill switch a number of times. I wasn't sure if that had anything to do with fuel flow or interrupting spark to the plugs. That didn't change anything. I also disconnected the fuel line from the pump and cranked. The pump was cranking out fuel. I'll have to try the kill switch thing some more and tapping on the #3 carb plus a little fuel down the air intake.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Sorry I should have read your first post better. I see you checked the fuel pump.

I injected a good dose of Seafoam into the fuel hose to the carbs using an oil can along with some in the gas and some more in the intake plenum. It worked enough magic for me to get mine started. I'm hoping continued use will save me from a carb overhaul.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the answers but now there's another problem. When I turn the key to the run position, nothing happens. No lights, ignition or anything. In the "accessory" position, the radio comes on. Nothing in the run position. I tried replacing the starter solenoid, pulled the seat to check for broken wires (none found) and still nothing. Kill switch is in the "run" position. Tried flipping that numerous times. Nothing. Any help appreaciated.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
imported post

I just went threw the same thing with my 97 wing. Crank, but no fuel to carbs. Had good fuel coming out of fuel pump. What I did was pour a LITTLE fuel down both carbs, it fired right up. I haven't had any problems for 3 days now with it. I looked to see if fuel was being dumped into the carbs while cranking, and nothing. Almost acted like it was vapor locked, but no where near hot enough for that YET.

Sorry had to edit post. Forgot to say welcome to the forums. A lot of great information and people here. Enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

At this point I'm looking for information as to why I cannot get the ignition circuit charged. I changed out the starter solenoid with a new one but when I turn the key to "ON" I get nothing. No lights or anything. The radio works in "ACC" position but nothing at all in "ON". I've checked the engine kill switch - nothing. I've operated the clutch thinking it might be the clutch switch - nothing. Tried jiggling the key thinking it's possibly a bad ignition switch - nothing. Pulled the seat and checked for cut wires, etc - nothing. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

It was brand new on the brand new starter solenoid. Is there another 30 amp ignition fuse somewhere else?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you'll have to check the ignition switch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.