Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening folks,
I have a 2000 gl15se, this bike has been triked out with the Champion setup sometime ago...Problem I'm having is while sitting on the bike , the right 3 cylinders aren't firing , or maybe I should rephrase this to not firing strong enough...I noticed last time I drove it , a few miles from the house, noticed it wanting to bog down, like not enough power...stays running though...I went ahead and removed the armor to revile access to the plugs so I could replace them. Upon inspection of the right 3 plug wires, I removed the front wire and noticed it firing, making that spark sound to the plug , once I pulled it back off the plug entirely, no difference to the engine what so ever. I did this with each of the 3 plugs on that side, same result... Went to the other side of bike, pulled the front wire and the motor shut down.
thinking this was odd, I did this again on the right side and while engine was running at idle I removed one at a time completely off the plug and pulled the next one and the back one. MOTOR STILL RUNS... SUMMARY: all three plug wires are off the plugs on the right side and the motor still runs, no difference....first thing I thought was maybe the timing belt on this side was gone or had slipped a few cogs or simply off the mark. Checked all this and all three of the timing marks are spot on, so it is not out of time... if anyone here has had this issue , please reply, I'm bumfuzzled, never heard of a 6 cylinder motor running on 3 cylinders at idle...

·
Administrator
24,375 Posts
:welc: I would guess the right side carb isn't working or is out of synch. What happens if you give it a little throttle and pull a plug wire?

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Welcome to the Site Jeff!! First off I don't know a Thing about a 1500!! That said though, The next thing I'd do is check the carb balance with a pair of manometers: If your not getting enough fuel on the right side it won't fire, Right??

Greater Minds than mine will be along shortly.....

·
Registered
549 Posts
Sounding like a fuel blockage of some sort in the right side carburetor, the carb balance wouldn't affect much running down the road, OP stated running bad /no power down the road.

This one sounds like the carbs will have to come out for service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:welc: I would guess the right side carb isn't working or is out of synch. What happens if you give it a little throttle and pull a plug wire?
dave0430, I did notice when I throttled up to around 4000rpm, it did seem like it was hitting on all 6 and smoothed out, what's weird though is I'm smelling raw fuel out the exhaust, very rich state.. could it be that one carb is flooding and sending way too much fuel to these three cylinders? I'm not familiar with the carb setup on a wing, there are 2 carbs correct? 1 carb fuels 3 cylinders and the other one the other three?

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
I would check for a vacuum leak. Especially the rubber boot (insulator) between the carb and intake manifold. Doesn't take a huge vacuum leak to cut out cylinders at idle. Spitz some carb cleaner or gas around the suspect area to see if it responds. If it does you found your leak.

·
Administrator
24,375 Posts
dave0430, I did notice when I throttled up to around 4000rpm, it did seem like it was hitting on all 6 and smoothed out, what's weird though is I'm smelling raw fuel out the exhaust, very rich state.. could it be that one carb is flooding and sending way too much fuel to these three cylinders? I'm not familiar with the carb setup on a wing, there are 2 carbs correct? 1 carb fuels 3 cylinders and the other one the other three?
Could be flooding, pull the plugs and see what they look like.

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
What might/is happening is that there is fuel at the 3 dead cylinders but it is too lean to fire.The raw fuel ends up stinking up the exhaust. Very common and counterintuitive that a lean condition can smell rich but it is common due to the misfire. I'm still going to bet vacuum leak. Try spritzing some gas down the carb for that side to see if it comes to life. I think it might. Then you will know it is lean and probably has a vacuum leak. The plugs can well be black from the misfire. :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you have a propane torch, turn it on but don't ignite it. Hold it near the intake boots on that side of the engine to see if it changes RPM.

Douse your cigarette first.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Carb cleaner spray will do the same thing as propane, with better viability of where sprayed AND you can keep your eyebrows!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Carb cleaner spray will do the same thing as propane, with better viability of where sprayed AND you can keep your eyebrows!
I never had much luck with carb cleaner on a four stroke. I could spray it all over the intake manifold and throttle bodies with no discernable difference, even when the o-rings were completely rotted out of the throttle body!

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
I never had much luck with carb cleaner on a four stroke. I could spray it all over the intake manifold and throttle bodies with no discernable difference, even when the o-rings were completely rotted out of the throttle body!
Yeh, you are right. It depends on the carb cleaner though. If it contains 100% Toluene or Toluol it will work. If it is mixed with other things not as good. During the oil embargo no good gas was to be had. We used to drive to Chicago to buy Toluene and mix it with the crappy gas for our race cars. A spritz bottle filled with gas is what I use. Only because I am cheap.(poor) :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had something similar happen to me on my 86 Aspy and it ended up being the right side coil. Replaced both with new wires just to be sure and problem solved. I haven't had that issue with my 96 but Im sure it can happen. Im not a mechanic like these other guys, but having said that - its one possibility if your vac leak doesn't pan out. Good luck!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Won't be the coils, there's three of them, each one fires both a left and right cylinder....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts