Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,194 Posts
imported post

The only blue one I remember was Jluvs2dive when I was at NASSIR4, the ones from Ontario were red.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

Not me. Saw it in the news yesterday too. One thing I've noticed about older Wings, my 1500 included, is that the brake lights aren't very bright. I wonder if that had anything to do with what happened? I hope he pulls through OK - looks like he really got smacked hard!

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

I don't know who it is, but I wish him all the best for a speedy recovery.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

One of the most uncomfortable feelings for me sitting at light in town. Has always bothered me when we first moved here seen a bike get rear ended by a car going about 20 mph at a light we were sitting one car back in the right lane bad image kind of sticks in your head. Best wishes to the rider from Canada

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Did a bit of digging and found out the guy injured in this accident attends church with my parents. He's not on our list of Forum members, but a fellow rider all the same. Initial reports we've heard are that he's looking at a life as a quadriplegic. Doctors are saying how severe the paralysis will be won't be fully known until the swelling subsides. Tough prognosis for a 50 year old man with a wife and family.

Just another reason to do all in your power to make yourself more visible out there and stay attentive to what's going on around you.

Ride Safe.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

WOW, Our prayers are going out to him and his family.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

When I'm stopped in traffic, my bike is in gear, my foot on the brake, and my eye is on my mirrors, watching to see if some urban fool in a cage is coming too fast....from behind...

Hate to read articles like that....

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
When I'm stopped in traffic, my bike is in gear, my foot on the brake, and my eye is on my mirrors, watching to see if some urban fool in a cage is coming too fast....from behind...

I do as Jack but I also sit just about on the center li9ne so I have a place to go if need. Our prayers go out to my fellow Canadian cyclist.Angela:sadguy: :praying::praying::praying:

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
imported post

Yes, sitting at a light is very uncomfortable for me too. Prayers going out to him and his family from the Halflings.

:praying:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:

I do this as well, when I have to stop at a light. Being in a rural environment most of the time, I generally see the light well enough in advance to plan my approach so the light is green when I get there.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the man and his family.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
imported post

When God decides time is up, all the training and cautions in the world won't matter. "We make our plans, but He orders our steps."

A friend of mine, 40+ years riding, on a BMW with a headlight modulator, was killed by someone pulling out in front of him. Be careful and professional, but more importantly, be ready to go...

I hope and pray that that young man heals ok. It could be one of us.....

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

Very sorry to hear this news.Prayers go out to him and his family. On thursday 08/04/11 I was t-boned at an intersection in my work van by an elderly lady who ran a red light. I only recieved cuts on my left knee and severly bruised ribs and chest from the seatbelt and airbag. She struck the passenger side, the 09 van I was driving was totaled. I can only imagine how severe my injuries would have been had I been on my wing. This will not stop me from riding, but it sure will raise my awareness especially at intersections.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
imported post

Our PRAYS:praying::praying:GO Out from Las Vegas.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,194 Posts
imported post

tek8550 wrote:
............ On thursday 08/04/11 I was t-boned at an intersection in my work van by an elderly lady who ran a red light. I only received cuts on my left knee and severely bruised ribs and chest from the seat belt and airbag. She struck the passenger side, the 09 van I was driving was totaled. I can only imagine how severe my injuries would have been had I been on my wing. This will not stop me from riding, but it sure will raise my awareness especially at intersections.
What just happened to you is why I always drag my heels at intersections. IF all of the driving lanes do NOT have a stopped vehicle in them, I will not cross the empty lane w/o having first peeked around the other stuff and verified that it does not have a flaming hot bullet flying thru that red light for them.

I know I am overly cautious since Penske's 18 wheeler tried to kill me, but it only costs me a few extra seconds at each intersection.

You can ask my wife, she will tell you the same. We are never #1 crossing intersections. I like for those on each side of me to go across and act as my "firewall against" bullets... We have a lot of triple laned streets here (each way) and I choose the center lane. Gives me protection on right and left.

Whether riding my bike, or driving the car/truck, it is the same for me now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.