Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hey fellow wingers,

I recently read an article by Craig Vetter (yes the inventor of the Windjammer & countless other cycle products)that a windshield shoudn't be too high in your field of vision because in heavy rain, you wouldn't see too well!
So our shields should be just high enough to keep the Junebugs off our foreheads!
My question is what do you guys believe the proper height should be?
Maybe mines too high on my Windjammer?

Time to break out the sabre saws!!:badgrin:

Doug77
77 GL1000 semi-naked

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

This is a good question!! I have a windjammer also that I use in the winter months and it has an extra high windshield but I have not been in any rain with it. I will be interested in what we can find out on this.:baffled:

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
imported post

This is a pretty personal matter in my opinion. Lots of folks prefer to be able to see over the screen from a natural seated posistion. Others want it lower so you have to actually tuck in a bit to get out of the breeze. I'm from the "Full size barn door school". I keep the screen well coated to wisk off the rain, I do carry rain gear but rarely use it. If caught in moderate rain only my boots get wet, unless I'm stopped in traffic.

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

This is a great question.... Since this wing is the first bike I have owned that you can sit upright and use the windshield, mine might be to high/low...As it stands the top of the windshield for me is about even with my eyebrows....Very hard to get used to:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Many years ago, I was told that you should be looking over the top of the windshield.
My '85 Aspy would need several inches removed for me to see over the top. I'm 6 feet tall.
I have owned my bike since April, and have not rode it in the rain yet.
I used to have a '78 Wing with a Windjammer and tall windshield. When it got rain on both sides and my face shield got rain on it, the road got hard to see.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Somewhere, years ago, I read that when you look over the shield, you should be eye level with a spot 50 feet in front of the bike.

I have several windshields, and some I look over and some through. But if need be, I can sit up high and peek over the really tall and wide one. The shorter windshield which I have on now creates more helmet noise, but it helps to have it on when it's 95 degrees out. Now when it gets cool again, the big one goes back on.

Raymond

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Having had a bit of running in the rain here in the NW I prefer a windshield that I can see over. I use the stock windshield on my 1500 in it's lowest position. I've tried it up and down in heavy rain and definitely prefer it down. In the mountains I've found that sharp temperature changes can fog the thing up very quickly, If you can't see over it you'd be blind. I don't see a lot of difference in the amount of rain in the face (I ride with a 3/4 helmet) with the thing up or down, most of the rain is shoved upward with the airblast, some gets through but not as much as I'd expected. I can see the road about 50-60 feet in front of me with the screen lowered, with it raised it's full three inches I really have to rise up off the seat a bit to see over it. At slow speeds you'd probably get more protection with a higher shield, but once over 35mph or so the height difference doesn't seem to make that much change. I don't see how the folks thathave the extra high Tulsa windshields can use them in misty or foggy weather.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

This interests me. I have a 1500 which came to me with a standard screen which looked like it had been cleaned with a Brillo pad, scratched badly. I found it very bad at night especially, and in rain,I wear glasses and use a flip front or open faced helmet.

I was so concerned that I was looking through a fog, that I have cut about 2" off with a Dremel disc. This worked very well and I would recommend that tool if you are cutting one down.

However, I now find that i have a lot more buffeting from wind, as does my passenger. In the past, I had a Vetter on previous bikes and I always was looking just over the screen. My preference would be to just see over the screen, the vetter did this with no buffeting.

In time I will definately be changing the screen for a new one, but I think it will be quite critical as to the exact hight.

I don't want the buffeting, but I never have been affected by the rain ( and boy do we get some of that!!) At 5'11" I would probably cut just 1" off a standard screen, allowing me to peer over but still keep that wind off.

Pete

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

I have a tulsa tall SLOPED screen ,,It sits about 6inches above my eye level and when it rains the rain just rolls of ,,It is brilliant ,,I never get wet ,,I have ridden in heavy downpours and the only part of me that gets wet (and only lightly) are my shoes ,,Times have changed since the time of the windscreen on the older bikes ,,These tall sloped back screen cannot be beat ,,,But remember a clear one is the one to go for as a tinted one in the rain at night is not very impressive ,,,I had the clear one on my 1500 and then I got one on my 1800 ,,And in a country where it rains almost every second day I think I can safely say I know what I am talking about ...cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

My '83I came with an extra tall, for me, windshield that I had to actually get up off the seat to see over. This didn't create a problem until I rode at night with lots of bug goo building up all over the shield. Then my view through the screen became problematic. No sir, didn't like it at all. So, this last winter I sat on the bike, not using either stand so I'd be as level as possible and looked through the screen. I marked a spot on the screen where my view seemed to go through. I then took it to my local glass shop and had them cut off about 4" maintaining the stock curvature. The difference allows me to naturally be able to look over it and still be able to tuck down if necessary. I have riddenthe bike in the rain since then and the water still goes up and over. Unfortunately, there is more buffeting for my passengers but not enough to warrant going with a different shield.

Regards,

Hobie

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
This interests me. I have a 1500 which came to me with a standard screen which looked like it had been cleaned with a Brillo pad, scratched badly. I found it very bad at night especially, and in rain,I wear glasses and use a flip front or open faced helmet.

I was so concerned that I was looking through a fog, that I have cut about 2" off with a Dremel disc. This worked very well and I would recommend that tool if you are cutting one down.

In time I will definately be changing the screen for a new one, but I think it will be quite critical as to the exact hight.

Pete
Pete

My screen came to me looking the same, night riding was dangerous, scratches scattering light, not being able to see through the screen, bought some "Lemon Pledge" after about two coats, it's almost as clear as a new screen, $5.00 beats the cost of a new screen.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
imported post

On the 1500 because it is so easy to adjust, when it's not raining I have it as high as it goes. If there is rain I lower it to the max. Yellow sunglasses are the best for riding in the rain.

Kyle

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

doug77 wrote:
Hey fellow wingers,

I recently read an article by Craig Vetter (yes the inventor of the Windjammer & countless other cycle products)that a windshield shoudn't be too high in your field of vision because in heavy rain, you wouldn't see too well!
So our shields should be just high enough to keep the Junebugs off our foreheads!
My question is what do you guys believe the proper height should be?
Maybe mines too high on my Windjammer?

Time to break out the sabre saws!!:badgrin:
Doug, that is a real good question. I personally have a few bikes with different height windshields on them & a few extra shields that fit some of the bikes.

IF, riding fast in cold weather (under 30°F) then the high windshield is my all time favorite as it sure keeps the cold air off my upper body & head area.

IF, riding in the rain then that high windshield is down right dangerous as it fogs up & beads up so forward visibility is almost impossible.

IF, riding in hot weather at moderate speeds then a low windshield is great.

IF, riding in hot weather at fast speeds (85-95 MPH) then that low windshield is a pain as it allows too much wind to buffet the rider. On my low windshield Harley dresser I need either goggles or a full face helmet to ride very fast very far.

A mid height windshield is good for most conditions except real fast or driving rain & gives me a severe headache if used for too long looking right across the top edge.

That electric height controlled windshield on the new BMW K bike is a great asset & something I would dearly love to fit to my commuter bikes. Asit is now I have a fairly high windshield on my every day all weather daily commuter bike & a shorter windshield on my recreational cruiser bike.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

I have been looking on the net about windshields and I have a question. :stumped:Are the after market windshields that are wider (extend around or over the mirrors) worth it when it is cold to keep the wind off the hands? I have a 85 aspy.

I ride in the winter unless there's ice/snow on the road. I used to ride a HD Ultra Classic and the front fairing would give some protection for the hands the way it is made.

The HD also had grip warmers which helped.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

I have not had many bikes with windshields. I found that I needed to look over all the time or thru all the time. I can not adjust to looking over and then thru and over and thru and then have the top edge right in my sight line. My eyes would not adjust properly and this seems to affect my site distance. The Windjammer is tall and great for cold weather. I was never caught in the rain and removed this summer so I have things to learn about riding this in rain.:dance:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

twisty wrote:
That electric height controlled windshield on the new BMW K bike is a great asset & something I would dearly love to fit to my commuter bikes. Asit is now I have a fairly high windshield on my every day all weather daily commuter bike & a shorter windshield on my recreational cruiser bike.

Twisty
How about the WindbenderFirecreek offers with the electrical option?

http://www.firecreekacc.com/images/1500WindbenderHPfqweb.jpg

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

stretrod48 wrote:
I was never caught in the rain and removed this summer so I have things to learn about riding this in rain.:dance:
Not much to learn about it, around here it tends to be cold, miserable at times, and great fun for the big rigs who throw water around like they were equipped with fire hoses. Imagine passing on of the things with the usual buffeting and then imagine someone hitting you with a pressure washer. That's about it!

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
stretrod48 wrote:
I was never caught in the rain and removed this summer so I have things to learn about riding this in rain.:dance:
Not much to learn about it, around here it tends to be cold, miserable at times, and great fun for the big rigs who throw water around like they were equipped with fire hoses. Imagine passing on of the things with the usual buffeting and then imagine someone hitting you with a pressure washer. That's about it!

I just got back from a ride and the heat index is 107 degrees. It is hard to think about cold when it is that hot. Ridinghome from work yesterday, It was so hot that I got in the lane beside a big rig and rode most of the way home in his shadow:goofygrin:

Pete was talking about using Lemon Pledge on his windshield. Does anyone know how this will affect a windshield long term?:baffled:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Never hurt a boat or airplane I've used it on, and it hasn't hurt my bike yet!

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

Great--I will give it a try when it gets cold and I put my Vetter back on. I want to ride naked a little longer:cheeky1:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.