Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, since the gas prices are so high and my truck gets 16 mpg and my 1200 wing is now at 39 mpg on the highway runnung to work. I commute 35 miles one way. I will be ridding well into the colder months, now I got all the good leather coat, insulated chaps, good set of Tourmaster Polar Tech gloves. I am going to buy the heated grips, get a better hood to wear under a full face. But I am looking to buy a good snowmobile suit to wear, read all the reports for the heated vest, jacket ect, not really into spending that much money, plus th 87 1200 only can spare 55 watts, the grips pull 30 watts on high, so that's my limit on the extras on my wing. Anyone have any experience on a specific brand of snowmobile suit and better gloves for extreme cold. Or anyother ideas about cold weather ridding! I used to drive a 650 Yamaha without a winshield into work in Colorado in the winter and froze my :shock: off! By the way I was running 64 in a 55 and 74 in a 65 when I am ridding to work, changed to 55 in a 55 and 65 in a 65 and increased my gas milage from 35 mpg to 39 mpg:clapper:

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Yes, I've ridden my motorcycle at temperatures as low as -20 F.

I have a Yamaha leather snowmobile suit, they're not cheap. Mine is a older version, without any brand identifiers and is quite a bit heavier than newer models.

Make sure you cover all exposed skin, I use my Sorel boots and I have a nice pair of leather ski gloves.

The roads need to be very clear, car exhaust at stoplights cans become covered with "Black Ice".

I've found thatwhen cold weather riding aim for the sand when stopping or turning.

You will fall down sometime in the cold if you continue to below freezing.

On my current motorcycle, I find a normal leather jacket and chaps to be comfortable to about +35 F. I just wear a bandana over my face when it drops below about +40 F.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Twenty below biking is cruel and unusual, I didn't even like riding my snowgo in that.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

I also ride in the low teens and negatives.

First, your heated grips in my opinion are a waste of money and power, but to each his own. I like handlebar muffs much better. A pair of woolen gloves sheathed in a leather glove works very well.

I layer clothing including socks and "Pak" style boots. I prefer insulated bib coveralls with matching insulated jacket. Mixed in the pile of clothing I have leather items as well including chaps, traditional MC jacket and vest.

Helmet becomes critical. A full face well sealed with decent mist guard and a javalaka on your neck. Be very careful as you may no longer swivel your neck to see to the side.

One problem, mounting and dismounting is almost comical. I now understand why the knights of old were hoisted on and off their mounts.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

I have ridden in -10, and in the blowing snow... /forums/images/emoticons/big_grin.gifthe best advice is Multi layers... Glove liners under gloves, Socks, pants  AND lower leg Gators... Balaklava , AND scarf... aply bot gas and brake cautiously... ride on the inside third spot.../forums/images/emoticons/sad.gif.. and finally... about snow....  Snow on a heated car windshield will melt  and vanish... Lexan is interesting stuff... I have experienced this three times, always climbing into the mountain passess, with the temperature slowly dropping , in snow, blowing around .......... there is a magic temperature , about 3 degrees above zero, Celcius, where  snow SUDDENLY  congeals and sticks over all your Lexan ../forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif. .. WOW...  Just Wow !!!!/forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif. and I mean Suddenly !!!! (like 5 seconds ).. so you suddenly  have to sit up real tall, and look over the shield,  into the blowing snow....   Just be prepared is my best advice... and take a cushion, if you are not tall enuf to see over your Shield .. SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I'm not going to be ridding in snow and ice, will drive my 4 wheel truck for that, will be ridding to about 20 F. Why does the heated grips not work very well:baffled:. Anyone have any good sources for snowmobile suits? I got a good leathers and saw a place for a good Balaklava on the wings&things web site. Any good resources for the handlebar muffs? By the way , Thanks for the info again!!!:clapper:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Instead of heated grips I use Vetter Hippo Hands, similar to the muffs that Brojees described. They can still be found on ebay. Here is an example.

A full-face helmet with a thin balaclava like this helps keep your head and neck warm. To keep your face shield from fogging, I use a Fog City face shield insert like this. The Fog City insert really works well.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

axelwik wrote:
Instead of heated grips I use Vetter Hippo Hands, similar to the muffs that Brojees described. They can still be found on ebay. Here is an example.

A full-face helmet with a thin balaclava like this helps keep your head and neck warm. To keep your face shield from fogging, I use a Fog City face shield insert like this. The Fog City insert really works well.
Thanks, for the links!! Looks like some more goodies for the winter! Anyone have a good brand of snowmobile clothing that works good:baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
imported post

While snomobiling I use a heated shield to keep the visibility clear. Had one for my kid also. I have two here that I would sell, a bit scratched but useable and should polish up okay. We are selling off the sleds due to fuel prices, lack of use and kids moved away now. and momma wants a quad :D

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

i use heated glove and headed jacket under my jacket and it makes a lot of difference nice and warm the also have heated glove liners

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I would go for wrap around velcro type heated grips, rather than the ones that are built into the grips. Those can be a problem and when they short out can melt the nylon that is the twist bit of the trottle, making a serious problem for riding. I know this, since I have just had to have the grips removed from Motorcycle Pete's Pan European, because of melt down!! The velcro on ones, can also be used to warm other areas of the body too!!:shock:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

DigbyODell wrote:
Silverfox wrote:
The velcro on ones, can also be used to warm other areas of the body too!!:shock:

Please DO NOT EXPLAIN!!!!!
My lawyer has advised me that the best response would be "no comment!!":cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
imported post

I ride yearround in the north. Widder gloves, and vest are a MUST. I also have the Widder chaps, but hardly need them. The polar covers, are a nuisance to put ur hands in, with gloves on. I used them on my Quads. ya CANT beat a quality electric glove like Widder. My last pair lasted 11 years, and the linings just finally tore. Still heated fine. My vest is about 6 years old, and it has shrunk, so i had a 4inch extension made at a leather shop......

·
Just one of the guys
4,799 Posts
imported post

Check at Cabela'a web site, they have snomobile clothing there, some of it has Gore-tex, some of it has Cabela's Dry-Plus which is about the same as Gore-tex just less expensive. A lot of the people I snowmobile with like the Reima suits, good wuality, warm and reasonably priced. I use Polaris brand snowmobile suit for snowmobiling,I have a brother who sells them for a living, they have Gore-Tex suits as well.

I prefer 2 piece, in fact getting a one piece is pretty hard these days. You have the choice of Bibs or non Bibs on the pants, the bibs give more warmth for your torso and are a bit more bulky. You will want to get a helmet liner, I use a thin nylon one that is long enough to cover my neck, the chin gets a lot of air so it needs to be well covered, most snomobile suits have collars that do this very icely.

A good pair of gloves is an absolute necessity IMO, I have heated grips on the snowmobile and use them almost all the time, even when wearing mittens. The handlebar covers that are pictured above work quite well too, they keep the wind off and the warm in.

As for footwear, it you don't have a Heel-Toe shifter you may be limited by space available to get your toe under the shifter. I currently have a pair of Rocky Hunting boots, lace up leather ones that have thinsulate in them. Once again go to Cabela's web site and look at the boots there, they give you a tempurature rating and use this and the description of the boot to find one that has the amount of insulation to give the warmth you want. Keep in mind these ratings are for hunting situations so you will need to get one rated for 0 deg or less to be comfortable on a bike at 55 or 65 MPH.

·
Premium Member
5,928 Posts
imported post

Thanks, for the links!! Looks like some more goodies for the winter! Anyone have a good brand of snowmobile clothing that works good:baffled:
Yo from the southern states. I use Carhartt, Arctic level grade, Jacket and Bibbs set. Cheapest thing, easy to find, brown or tan, and even available in black, too warm until it drops into the 40's to even think about putting on. That's why you see ranchers, farmers and road construction peoplewearing them and working outside in a blizzard all day.Of course it ain't fashion wear:DThey wear like iron and wash upeasy also. :smiler:Forgot to mention where to check it out, "Tractor Supply" stores carry them. The is always one near you, look in the yellow pages for Tractor Supply!
:waving:

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

I second the Carhart overalls, seen many dairymen out in the cold(in Pa., where I grew up) all day in those and they handled the cold fine. They also wear like iron.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.