Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With winter approaching and riding season drawing to an end for some of us, this is when I try to keep 100% gas in my bike. I was close to "E" so when I filled today I filled with pure gas. No Ethanol/ I think between this and fuel stabilizer you have a much better chance of not having issues at the end of storage. I know some will say it is overkill but it only cost a few pennies more. Gave her a bath, put on the Battery Tendaer and tucked her in for winter.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Dang Mike.u live too far north, near a year riding here.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
I ride all winter just lucky I guess. That's good advice for riders in the cold north. I do leave the battery tender on 4 different batteries.What do they say better to be safe than sorry.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,640 Posts
Usually, this would be the start of our riding season, but...

This year we have pretty much broken all the "hot summer" records since they started keeping records.

Fortunately, during the hotter periods we can still go for the occasional evening, or early-morning, putt to keep the bike loosened up.

·
Premium Member
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Usually, this would be the start of our riding season, but...

This year we have pretty much broken all the "hot summer" records since they started keeping records.

Fortunately, during the hotter periods we can still go for the occasional evening, or early-morning, putt to keep the bike loosened up.
Yeah, I know. It is a dry heat. I'll think of that when we have a high of minus 27.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,819 Posts
I use StaBil360 and Pure Gas for my winter layovers here.

with a Fuel Injected engine, might not be necessary, but it lets me sleep nights while the winds is blowing 35 mph at -5*F

StaBil360 & Sea Foam are made by the same folks.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
804 Posts
There's enough warm days in the winter here that the bikes are seldom sitting without at least a ride around the neighborhood for longer than a few weeks. So I've never felt the need for any "winter storage" procedures. But it is a good time to get some maintenance done....

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,640 Posts
Yeah, I know. It is a dry heat. I'll think of that when we have a high of minus 27.
I've been in Wisconsin a couple of times and it is a beautiful state. However, both visits were in winter and that is a deal-breaker.

·
Administrator
26,298 Posts
I have let mine set for about 2 weeks some winters but that's about the max.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Registered
87 Posts
For us in Alberta, winter is fast approaching. The GL1800 Goldwing is an exception to the normal rules. It is fuel injected and has a plastic tank. But, I still fill it up to keep condensation at bay. Fresh oil is also a good idea, to remove as much acid and other chemicals from the riding process as possible.
For my motorcycles with a carburetor and steel tank, I was told to either completely drain the tank or completely fill it up. Also, add some fuel stabilizer. Non ethanol fuel is a good idea as well. Empty the float bowl(s), after letting the engine run for at least 5 minutes. Change the oil and filter. Remove the battery and store in a temperature stable place, off of concrete. If you have a non lead acid battery, use care when charging, as a modern lithium ion battery won't tolerate a conventional charger.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My bikes get ethanol free, pure gas throughout the entire year. A wee bit more expensive but I won't use ethanol in my bikes if it can be helped. Ethanol free station is in town, so why not. Might be my imagination but they run smoother, better without ethanol.

·
Registered
40 Posts
As others have said, I ride all year long. At worst, I go a 2-3 weeks at a time without riding. I am in Michigan so it does get nippy at times, but I do layer up on the chillier days. It was 30 degrees this morning. No issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been in Wisconsin a couple of times and it is a beautiful state. However, both visits were in winter and that is a deal-breaker.
Winter be here! Snow mix in and west/ northwest of Green Bay, today. Wind blowing like hell on top of it. Wx calling for more of this deal for next 4+ days! This is when my better half (😉) and I start wondrin why we came back. Up here in NE Wisconsin scenery is awesome and people are great, but the cold, windy and usually dreary gets to ya.
I keep saying and threatening that I'm gonna throw a snow shovel over my shoulder and start walking south and when someone asks what the hell is that? I'M HOME!! 😂
Course the wife, kids, and grandkids say it ain't hapnin..... I say I'll take the motorhome, bike, and ATV, and will write......occasionally. 😉😉

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Winter be here! Snow mix in and west/ northwest of Green Bay, today. Wind blowing like hell on top of it. Wx calling for more of this deal for next 4+ days! This is when my better half (😉) and I start wondrin why we came back. Up here in NE Wisconsin scenery is awesome and people are great, but the cold, windy and usually dreary gets to ya.
I keep saying and threatening that I'm gonna throw a snow shovel over my shoulder and start walking south and when someone asks what the hell is that? I'M HOME!! 😂
Course the wife, kids, and grandkids say it ain't hapnin..... I say I'll take the motorhome, bike, and ATV, and will write......occasionally. 😉😉
That reminds me of when I was in the Air Force stationed at Lockbourne AFB back in the early 60s, there was a sergeant that said much the same thing one day. He said when he retired he was going to tie a snow shovel to the front of his truck and start driving south. When he got far enough south that someone asked him what it was, then he would know he was far enough and would make that his home. 😀

1 - 14 of 14 Posts