Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

If I do an oil change now before I put my bike into winter storage.

Do I have to throw all that perfectly good oil away in the spring & refill with new

oil it seams such a waste.:?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

No. You just ride it 3000 miles and change it then.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

Yeah...........thanks Rudy. Being doing that for years and feeling moderately guilty........
But no more!

I also ride 8000 miles before changing! ..........arghhhh...........back to feeling guilty!

:applause: T.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

i have been told to wait till spring because it may get some condisation in it and moister so i think i will wait till spring not sure if this is true or nor though

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Not a good idea to leave the old oil, with all the acids it contains in the engine over the winter. I just change around Thanksgiving time, and leave it alone till I`m ready to drive it for at least 50 miles. You are defeating the purpose of changing oil by starting it during winter without getting out on the road for an hour or so.

gumbyred

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

991500se wrote:
i have been told to wait till spring because it may get some condisation in it and moister so i think i will wait till spring not sure if this is true or nor though
It is NOT going to hurt it either way... but my recommendation is, given the choice between before storage or after... always before.... there are already acids formed in the used oil as well as suspended solids that can settle out over the winter... put the fresh stuff in before storage...

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
imported post

I think yall should bring your bikes down to houston and I'll ride em all winter long as I do on mine. For a nominal fee of course.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

Arizona & New Mexico work great too. :p

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

Kendas wrote:
Arizona & New Mexico work great too. :p
Yeah.........well, when my wife retires too, I'll be right down. Start with the addition so we'll have a room!

:waving:

T.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

IN OKLAHOMA WE ALWAYS HAVE A FEW GOOD DAYS TO GO WITH THE BAD ONESBUT AFTER THE RECORD BREAKING HEAT OF THIS LAST SUMMER I WILL TAKE A NICE COLD DAY OVER 111 DEGREE SUMMER DAY JUST CAN NOT STAND THE HEAT LIKE I USE TO

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

For me motor oil is cheap insurance. Make sure you have enough of it and monitor it and change it when needed. I change my more or less every five thousand miles and check it weekly unless on a long trip then I check it daily.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

I dont live in a place where i have to park the bike for winter, but for what i've read... its recommended not to start the engine with fresh new oil this way the oil does not get contaminated with the combustion and it will remain fresh to be used in the next season.

when you're winterizing your bike, warm it up, turn it off, drain the oil while engine is warm, change filter and add new oil, then crank her a few seconds with the kill switch in the off position so she does not start only to pump the oil around and leave everything coated.

**** i forgot to add. on carbured bikes, when you turn off the bike for winter, instad of using the kill switch you shut off the fuel valve to drain the carbs and wait for the engine to die. this way also allows no fuel on the combustion chamber while cranking the engine with the new oil. fuel injected bikes just use the kill switch.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

Dito on what William_86 said

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.