Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

attachedis apicture of the 1983 Interstate I just picked up. Owner said the head gasket is blown. Took her word for it figuring for the$750Ipaid for the bike I'll fix it and have a nice bike.Checked compression todayand came up with a 120 for #1, then 165,160,135 for #2-#4. not great numbers but doesn't seem like it's a blown head gasket. there is a little oil in the coolant resevoir, thick globs along a couple side of the tank. She complained it was going through coolant so before it over heated she parked it in May and didn't ride it. A friend told her the gasket was blown although I don't think it was diagnosed by a mechanic. One of these days I'll take the cover off the water pump and wiggle it, I think it's what's bad not the head gasket. Thoughts anyone?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
imported post

:waving:Welcome andHello

oil going into the coolant would normally occur at the water pump/oil seals . I would get a new pump and front gasket set . I am fairly sure the oil seal for the pump shaft is in the cover gasket set .That should have you going .

I suppose if tye pump shaft feels tight you might get away with only gasket set.

You dont mention miles on the bike . It might be wise to read up and change the timing belts while your working in the area .

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

there are 58,000 miles. PO said the belts were changed in 2003 at about 47,000 miles. Will look at them at least to see their condition. I changed the pump and belts on my 1979 when it was down with a blown head gasket.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I wonder if the bike not running since May would have an effect on compression?

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i think , with coolant in the overflow tank. i would be looking at the water pump also. the seal that seals the water pump shaft is part of the block seals and doesn`t come in the gasket set. at least none that i`ve bought. had to get it by it`s self.

oh wellcome to the site too.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
imported post

EITHER WAY,sweet lookin bike for 750 bux...good luck with her

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

wda-83wing wrote:
i think , with coolant in the overflow tank. i would be looking at the water pump also. the seal that seals the water pump shaft is part of the block seals and doesn`t come in the gasket set. at least none that i`ve bought. had to get it by it`s self.

oh wellcome to the site too.
heres a pic of the seal in question

hope this helps some.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Helps a lot. Thank you. I thought the seal was included in the kit I bought for my 1979, but I may be mistaken. I bought a KP kit. Any thoughts whether the KP brand is a good brand? I see there is one available on ebay for $32.95.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i have had good luck useing after market kits. but the seal i get from honda.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
imported post

If your belts are 8 years old, it's time to swap them. Regardless of miles.

My $.02 on the matter, YMMV.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I just knew someone was going to say that!!! You are correct though, it would be in my best interest to not take that chance.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
imported post

That is a great looking 1100 there jeffro. You got a steal on that one. You should have a nice running bike for cheap when you take care of the water/oil problem.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thanks Bellboy, Is your's a stock color or did you have the bike repainted? looks amazing. I feel pretty fortunate. I was looking at a 1981 Interstate that's in really good condition on the outside for $400, but it hasn't run in 12 years. I would have spent a lot of time and money rebuilding brakes, carbs, tires etc.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
imported post

Yes that is the factory color on mine. Thanks for the compliment. I haven't seen but one more this color since I found this one about 18 months ago. Must not have sold too many of them. Most of the 1500s seem to be a shade of red. Mine is called Pearl Bermuda Green.

Here is a full size picture.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

drained the oil and coolant. doesn't appear to be any antifreeze in the oil. didn't see oil in the water that came out of the drain hole from the radiator, but the reservoir had more oil in it than I first thought. Is it safe to rule out a blown head gasket and focus on the water pump and seal?

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

the water pump would be my starting point and go from there.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

as expected water pump needs replacing. I don't mind doing that.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Update. Have replaced the water pump which was bad. Right side head gasket was blown so pulled both heads today. Need to decide where to get gaskets, seals etc. Want to fix it right. new timing belts already bought. also need to clean up the starter, does the spinning without engaging thing. two suggestions I've read is to use spray seam foam to clean the goo off and/or fill the crankcase with kerosene overnight and then drain and replace with oil.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

I would do both head gaskets. Why? ... You don't know what caused the failure of the one you replaced, and with #4 having a funny number, ...why play with it?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.