Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Today we had almost+7C. Set a record for sure. Normal for us for this time of yearis about-20C! Took my new (to me)sidecar rig out for a spin. 1st time riding (driving?) asidecar,I had 90 lbs ballast in the sidecar to help keep the chair down. I went for a spin by myself,then came back home, took 30 lbs ballast out, and took the wifefor a good spin too.Got a few thumbs up from people - seems people like the weirdness of it all. Sure a different experience... will take some getting used to.It seems I got the setup (toe-in) right on off the hop - it didn't pull to either side at steady state speed. When accelerating it pulls to the right, and when braking to the left. Unsmooth shifting or braking moves the nose around a little. It's by no means darty or uncontrollable, but you have to be conscious of it all the time. Am glad I finally got to try it out, especially at this time of year!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
imported post

Looks really good.
Hopefully the mild winter weather will stick around for a while. I'm getting spoiled with all of this recent riding time!

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I don't know why, but I have always liked something about a sidecar,,,,,,, more so then a trike. I still rather two wheels,,,, but if I get to where I need 3,,, it would have to be on the side.

I have to ask,,,, is that a detachable box on the rear of the car?? And what is the bar that appears to be connected to the box??

And one more,,,,,,,,,, looks like the front end swings up to open for passenger. Would like to see a pic of it opened up :)

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

Good for you Daryl. Nice looking setup and congrats for you and your wife being out ridingso early in the season :)

Regards,

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thnx Greg - it was a really remarkeable experience to be out & about riding this time of year. Got a few looks and more than a few thumbs up from people too... seems like sidecars generate that reaction! Winger 77, I'll take a pic or two of it open for you. The roads were a real mess yesterday, and I need to wash 'er up... it's supposed to get above freezing again, and if it does I'll roll it outside, bucket wash it & take a few more pics. The "detachable box" isn't detachable really - it's an old detachable saddlebag from a GL1100. I modified it by cutting the bump out of the back of it, and covered the hole and reinforced the back of it with sheet aluminum which I pop rivited in place. Those old ABS plastic saddlebags tend to crack easily - it needed repairing! I bolted it to the back rack with clamps... worked out well, and increases storage capacity although I shouldn't be putting much weight in there. The bar leaning back on the box is for the removeable top. I'll see if I can find a pic with it on... it has removeable side curtains too. Found a pic with the top up... from when I dragged it home a year ago!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
imported post

My BIL lives in WInnipeg and he has been out for rides this winter, NOT a normal winter.

I lived in Winnipeg for 38 years and riding a bike in the winter was the LAST thing on my mind.

We have had bike riding weather here this year also, on Wednesday it was +15c.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

OMG - Global Warming!!!!

:tongueout::tongueout::tongueout::tongueout::tongueout::tongueout::tongueout::tongueout::tongueout::tongueout:

:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
OMG - Global Warming!!!!

:tongueout::tongueout::tongueout::tongueout::tongueout::tongueout::tongueout::tongueout::tongueout::tongueout:

:ROFL:
Or something - seriously. I know there's been a warming trend going back ages, but it seems to be accellerating... or maybe it's reached a tipping point where the effect is finally being felt. Our way of life up here in the great white north is seriously being affected... permafrost melting (think of all those roads and oil pipelines built across permafrost!), lakes and rivers being slow to freeze up, and thinner ice when they do. Many Indian reservations rely on winter ice roadsto resupply them - that isn't happening yet. Hopefully this is a bit of a one off, and not the start of a consistent pattern. I think the last thing people would want to see is drought across the midwest.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Ok,,,,,,,, I was thinking the bar would be for a top/lid, just had to ask and see how it looked. I'll bet the wife will like that when your caught in a storm while traveling/touring, and there's no where to stop. At least she could make sandwiches and all while your cruising :cheesygrin::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

She's not overly crazy about the sidecar concept (but likes riding on the bike!)... says it's louder beside the bike as she can hear the engine more. Also, you sit low in the sidecar - the seat is only 2" off the floor, so really she's whizzing along with her butt just a foot off the pavement! With that said, my wife is not very tall, and she's very protected by the sidecar windshield - I suspect if we're cruising along on the highway and encounter light to moderate rain, she'll stay fairly dry in there. Apparently those tall convertible tops are very draggy and slow you down and chew into the gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

Bizarre. Yesterday it was warmer here than in parts of Florida. Any snow we had is long gone. If the bike wasn't pickled for the winter I would have been out on it.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

Now fellas...............there's lots of time left for a hard winter!
Don't go 'round be euphoric just yet!

T.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

this "winter" is wierd last winter in iowa it started about 2 weeks before halloween and did not stop until about mid march and it was cold freggin cold so cold it just went to your bones no matter if you had a flame thrower on your back

i remember many mornings at 5am there was not a sound to be heard no birds, no dogs barking not a soul it was so cold around here i had to put a battery charger, on the car with a brand new batter just so it would crank off every morning.

im not boasting by any means i am positive you all have better stories than that.

but 50degrees halfway through january i'll take this any winter if this even keeps up for 1more week, winter will only last half of jan, feb, and half of march so maybe 2 months of winter i'll take that any day

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
imported post

Yeah, this is a little scary. I'm not complaining, but Wing is in storage, I usually ride until snowfall, which I did, but now Wing is stored & don't wanna get it back out.

No snow on the ground, above freezing, it is weird for MN in Jan. Yeah, we could still get feet of the white stuff anytime. I bought a new snowblowe, hoping to race it soon.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
imported post

Yeah, this is a little scary. I'm not complaining, but Wing is in storage, I usually ride until snowfall, which I did, but now Wing is stored & don't wanna get it back out.

No snow on the ground, above freezing, it is weird for MN in Jan. Yeah, we could still get feet of the white stuff anytime. I bought a new snowblowe, hoping to race it soon.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Only -2C today - was out shoveling without a jacket on. I'm sure it'll turn soon and get cold again, and there'll likely be a bunch more snow, yet. The Canadian prairies have had a very wet last two summers (abnormally wet), so many people are wondering - what's up with the weather!?

For Winger77 - took a pic of the sidecar open for you. Not the best pic as taken from within the shelter, but you get a good idea of how much it opens up facilitating entry.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

...and from the other side. I can't imagine trying to slip intothe older sidecar models that had a small tight cabin and didn't open up. Maybe for children and more petite women not a problem, but for regular sized people getting in and out wouldn't look graceful. These kind of clamshell entry sidecars on the other hand are pretty easy to get in and out of.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

That's a 'cool' looking outfit. 'Sidecars Are Fun' Now you will have carrying capacity for all those little extras. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.