Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

As we really haven't had winter yet here in the Northeastern States, I was wondering. As the temps have started to finally drop, and still no snow, that means I can still ride. (maybe).

I have been toying with the idea of the heated seat, but I am more wondering if the heated grips are worth the investment.

I have ridden in the cold before and as I think about it, it's not the palm of my hand that gets cold. It's the fingers and knuckles, on the (get this) the part that is getting the wind on them.

So I am thinking, heated gloves, jacket liner, pants and socks. That should pretty much do it. But now, that poses a new question.

Each of these devices creates heat. That much heat will be a great draw on my electrical system. I am running all stock so far, do I need to upgrade anything before I burn something out?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

I would start with only a pair of Gerbing heated gloves. That's all I use, and when my hands are nice and toasty warm, the rest of me feels warm too. I own the pants and jacket liner too, but don't bother with them since I got the gloves.
The Gerbings have the heating element in the fingertips and thumb tip, and have a lifetime warranty. There are also heated insoles, rather than socks. I might invest in a pair of those as my toes do get a little frosty on the very cold days.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

I also have the Gerbings heated gloves, but I find that if I use a pair of army surplus glove liners with them my fingers and hands are much warmer. Not much of a call to use them in south Texas but on those (rare)27 degree mornings they are nice and toasty....

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Get yourself the Symtec Grip Heater Kit and install them under your favorite grips.

No bulky gloves

No fumbling to connect glovewires together

No wires to run down your jacket sleeves

Can be used any time needed as they are always on the bike

Far cheaper

Along with my Tourmaster heated jacket liner, I use the grip heater kitwith a pair of unlined, heavy leather gauntlets and am good to go for hours in sub freezing temps. Team them up with a set of Baker Built Hand Wings, to reduce the cold air over the back of your hands for increased efficiency at higher speeds.

Having both the grip heaters and hand wings isone of the mostextremely versatile set ups on the bike. Block cold wind in the winter, bring in cooling air in the summer. The grip heaters are always on the bike, so you can use them to take out that early morning chill on the ride to work, or over high mountain passes without having to stop and dig out all that heated gear 'stuff' and struggle to get everything connected. (heat controller, wiring harnesses, heated gloves etc)

I have a pair of heated gloves, but as withall heated gloves, find them to be a real PITA to make all the connections, especially when one hand is gloved, so I very rarely ever wear them.

The grip heaters on the other hand are very easy to use, .... anytime.... and when used in combination with the other two items, provide me with enough warmth to ride in sub freezing temps for many hours, comfortably.

I couldn't even tell you where my heated gloves are right now. :baffling:

Dusty

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
imported post

I ride year round. I don't care for gloves or stuff like that. I wouldn't own a bike that doesn't have heated grips (even the 250 has a great set of heated grips)

I don't like tethering myself to the bike. Have headset and seldomly use the cable (feels like I'm tangled) except when carrying a passenger or a longer ride when want to use the cb.

I prefer the grips because even in spring or fall if the temperature drops on the way back home, or at night, or I picked too light of gloves. I don't even need to pull over to change my gloves, just flip a switch and in about 1 minute its like holding a hot coffe cup.

On the wing the only way I can use them at max setting is under 25 F, but I've never ridden below 10 F. It just doesn't get that cold here.

Gil

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

kcid wrote:
I have ridden in the cold before and as I think about it, it's not the palm of my hand that gets cold. It's the fingers and knuckles, on the (get this) the part that is getting the wind on them.

So I am thinking, heated gloves, jacket liner, pants and socks. That should pretty much do it. But now, that poses a new question.

Each of these devices creates heat. That much heat will be a great draw on my electrical system. I am running all stock so far, do I need to upgrade anything before I burn something out?

Thanks in advance
Option > Hippo Hands

...they keep the wind and elements (andhence the cold)off of your gloved hand and controls. A big difference in retaining any heat you employ. "Hot Hands" hand warmers are usually all that I need inside my gloves on the top of my hands using this technique, resulting in No Tax on the electrical system and plenty of warmth and comfort.

Dress in layers. Thermal bottoms with insulated jeans are good for me down to the teens for bottom-wear. Everything else gets calculatedby necessity and electrical system load. I've a seperate electrical system for my heated, wearable gear when needed.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

I'm with dusty. Heated grips definately help and no fuss. Also Tourmaster is a great alternative to Gerbing. I have a tourmaster heated vest-about $100 including the temp controller-nothing else to buy. That and the grips are about all I need when worn with warmer clothes.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

+1 on heated grips, and air deflectors. simple, clean, and no hassle.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I like the heated gear I have now.

Insulated overhauls keep me pretty warm in cold even not plugged in, for really cold I plug them in. I think it was 22F or 19F when I stopped for coffee on way home one night and I was toasty warm. I've warn them more often not turn on than I have turned on, but when the temps drop allot it's nice to just plug them in and warm up and stay warm.

The heated gloves also do good at keeping my hands warm in cold without be on. I do have hand and feet problems a bit in the cold and need to keep them warm. I've used the gloves with the suit but think they should be even warmer so got another set to use as just heated gloves.

I've only warn the heated socks twice but boy were they nice, though like the gloves I want then on a separate controller from the suit.

I actually get too warm in the suit with it on sometimes but want more heat in the gloves and socks at the same time.

What I need now is a Helmet warmer LOL

The wires for the suit and gloves are long enough I plug them both in before putting on the gloves.

I've done some pretty cold riding at times without the heated gear last 2 years, because I did not have any then.

The full suit is pretty bulky so for long trips I probably would not pack it to take unless dead of winter. I think the heated socks and gloves will always be with me though.

I do ride all through the night on long trips and some of those have been pretty cold on my feet and hands.

I got my gear used and not sure what brand things are, older style I think.
Glad to have it.

I was looking at other options but got this whole outfit for less than cost of other stuff ( stuff which I could not really afford either)

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Also thinking about heated grips like Dusty posted.
Those would be good to have also.
I do like that I can just use the gloves on my other wing also if I want though.

So far all the heated stuff has not been any trouble on my 88 1500 charging system. On my 82 1100 though I think I would only try to use the gloves or socks, maybe both, but not the suit at all.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

+1 for the Heated Grips:
-They work so well that I rarely bother to even carry thick winter gloves any more, as just plain summer gloves become good down to 30F. The heat from the gloves tends to keep the rest of your body quite warm as well... it travels.
-Being able to turn off the grips, while using summer gloves, is a versatile combination as you are then able to use just that One Setup for any temperature from 30F to over 100F... That Range, by the way, is not unheard of for travel in mountainous regions.
-Being able to use those thin Summer Gloves is Safer too, in comparison to thick winter gloves, as you can Feel (and therefore Use) the controls better.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

I have heated grips and bought a pair of Castle Launch snowmobile gloves. Hands have never been cold and have rode in 17 degree weather with no problem. I also have a heated Gerbing liner. Best investment I've made for cold weather riding.

I installed Baker hand wings on mine. Theydeflect the air away from you as well.

I have the Gerbing heated gloves but they are a pain is the rear to put on with the plugs and wiring that you have to deal with all the time.

Invest inthe heated grips and liner. You wont be disappointed. :action:

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
imported post

I'm definitely looking for something to keep my hands warm and was leaning toward the Tourmaster Synergy gloves, but they're out of stock until the end of Feb or so.

At the same time I don't have a lot of confidence in installing anything electrical myself - the whole relay/fuse block thing for some reason is Greek to me.

How much do you think a dealer would charge to install heated grips, wiring, switch installation, the whole deal?

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Bravo wrote:
I'm definitely looking for something to keep my hands warm and was leaning toward the Tourmaster Synergy gloves, but they're out of stock until the end of Feb or so.

At the same time I don't have a lot of confidence in installing anything electrical myself - the whole relay/fuse block thing for some reason is Greek to me.

How much do you think a dealer would charge to install heated grips, wiring, switch installation, the whole deal?
I'm the same way when it comes to electrics,,,,,,, VERY GREEK!!!

But,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I have added a few items and the grips are one of them. Not a big deal. Now relays,,,,, I just don't comprehend them altogether. So took the easy way out and installed a power plate with the relay already in it. Hardest part is stringing the wires for the grips,,,,,,, and thats really no issue.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

like ive posted before riding in 40ish degree or less weather is silly in my opinion, sure go buy all the heated clothing special heated shoes all that jazz dont ask me how much it all really costs, but it cant be cheap so your out for a hour or two before you freeze your nuggets off a few days later you start gettting sick

all that for a few hours of enjoyment nope, not for me i'll just open the door to the garage and sip my hot coco and say springs commin springs comming.

just my 2 and a 1/2 cents

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

That's a whole nickels worth, PB! :ROFL:

Just because you don't enjoy riding in cooler temps without a jacket liner and grip heaters doesn't mean others can't enjoy riding in those temps with the gear (cost me$200 +/- for liner and grip heaters)! :raspberry:

Heck ....if I only rode in perfect conditons like you want, I'd miss out on 2 1/2 months of pretty darn good riding up here,by sitting inside sippin on warm coco. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

like i said to each their own im good i tried snowmobile once not my cup of tea, i did ride my bike out of the garage last winter while the streets were clear and went around the block dang thing ran like crap because it was about -5 out

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

Amen Dusty, I try to ride most of the year, have heated grips and seat but no other heated gear. Someday when I have the $$$ I will get the rest of the outfit. first thing though is to get heated gear for the woman that rides behind me. Gotta keep mama happy, you know what they say....:?:?

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

I ride year around here, as long as it is not raining...which is quite a bit of the time in the winter here.

I have Gerbing gloves, coat liner, pant liner and boot inserts. I usually get by using the gloves and coat liner. When you use the coat liner and gloves, the gloves just plug into the coat.

I can see the value in the heated grips as using the electric gloves reminds me of using idiot mittens as a kid.

I do use Hippo Hands in the early spring when running errands so I don't have to keep taking off and putting on gloves.

I use flannel lined jeans which seems to be good enough most of the time, but I do wear insulated riding pants at times too.

Using the coat liner, I can utilize a mesh jacket and that combination can take care of most riding situations in the spring and fall. Winter I use a Ballastic Joe Rocket and the coat liner.

My girl friend has a Gerbing coat liner and Joe Rocket coat. She doesn't ride in foul weather, but it can get cold in a hurry here in the Puget Sound. I carry the electric gear in my saddle bag most of the time.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

I am not trying to steal the thread here, and the initial post does ask about heated gear. Does anybody have any experience with Tourmaster heated gear?

It looks like it is much better system matched and designed towards motorcycles than gerbings, but I have tried neither...:?

I am not in a hurry butI will get a set (gloves and jacket) before next summers adventure.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.