Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given as it was snowing this morning, I thought a thread on winter riding might be appropriate.

I've been riding in winter since 1982, just so you know. My personal temp record is -15 F to and from work.

Personal gear I use has varied somewhat, but am now down to a Widder electric vest and chaps I bought in 1985, Aerostar boots, a pair of snow pants, a US Navy pullover that is scary warm, my usual riding jacket and my rain jacket top, to cut the wind. Plus various sweatshirts and long undies, depends on the temp and length of ride.

Were I to tog up today, I'd go with an electric jacket (or vest with sleeves), the rest works out well enough not to want to change.

The bike gets: Hippo Hands, heated grips and seat, winter covers for the radiator outlets, extra air wings to direct air away from my legs, and I am going to try a second battery in a spare left saddlebag, just to give a bit more when the temps are below 0. Thinking of a U-1 lawn tractor battery, though I have another GW battery on the shelf, too.

If finances permit, a sidecar will be Really helpful on those snowy days. I've had in the past, and t'was like a street legal snowmobile.

Those are what I do/use, what are your techniques and ideas??

Cosmo

P.S. I've already been called crazy, a couple (dozen? hundred?) times.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I leave and go to California. ;-) Actually, I live in Northern Kentucky, just south of Cincinnati. The winters here allow for some riding days so I wasn't planning on winterizing my bike. I know this isn't a riding question but I don't have a heated garage. I was wondering if I keep a full cover on it and a ceramic heater under it, would that be enough so I call pull it out and ride 3 or 4 times during the winter months?

·
Registered
292 Posts
When I lived in Michigan. I wore Carhart;s arctic wear . and a pair of mitten's from Cabela;s never had a need to dress beyond that. I bought them to fit over my every day riding gear so if I was to stay indoors I could step out of it until it was time to saddle up again. Never quite got the concept of putting a bike up for the winter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can't contribute to the OP because I put my bikes up for the winter in Vermont because like most folks, I live on a dirt road which in winter becomes hard-packed snow and ice for many months. Once spring hits, they become rut-filled mud pits. Bad enough trying to drive a car on them! Have a safe winter and I hope you don't get another Polar vortex.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I can't contribute to the OP because I put my bikes up for the winter in Vermont because like most folks, I live on a dirt road which in winter becomes hard-packed snow and ice for many months. Once spring hits, they become rut-filled mud pits. Bad enough trying to drive a car on them! Have a safe winter and I hope you don't get another Polar vortex.

Speaking of polar vortices, I hear that nothing has moved up there since last winter so we're in for more of the same.

·
635 Posts
mine are put bike in shop turn heat on to 55* plug in battery . then putter and polish it all winter long! about 5-6 months

·
Alaskan Explorer on a Valk
564 Posts
winter riding is fun

Here is pic of last year. Heated jacket and gerbing gloves.
As long as there is no ice or water on the road I will go.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
For you hard core winter riders, here is a book I highly recommend. I hosted Dave for a number of talks where I work. He is a great guy and without question one of the toughest guys I have ever met. His accomplishments are amazing particularly when you consider the bike he rode and the fact that he has prosthetics on both legs as a result of a war injury. He is in the AMA Hall of Fame.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I used to ride my Yamaha 125 Enduro at Kotzebue, AK in the winter. Once the temps get down close to -20F the snow and ice really isn't all that slippery. We even used to pull a dog sled behind it when going to the village for groceries. That was the only motorcycle I've ever had that the woman who hangs around here would ride on her own. She didn't mind flying my C170 or Pacer but she's never been enamored of riding a bike.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
I found some years ago that snowmobile suits worked better than the average marketed motorcycle suits , I currently use one by Polaris , found on ebay for a very good price

·
Registered
243 Posts
It was 30* on the way to work tonight and supposed to be 25* in the morning. Wore my Vega touring coat with liner and some old chaps and was comfortable. That book shown by Dave Barr is especially impressive if you look at the make of the bike on the cover.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
34 degrees this morning when I headed off to work (25 miles, open road). Heated vest, sweatshirt, Navy overshirt, regular jacket, scarf, helmet, boots, summer gloves. Slacks were still OK with the air venting changed as detailed. Uniform is polyester, which has all the insulating value of chain mail. So no help there...

The Gold Wing is, by far, the best winter bike I have had. Though it needs the battery of my old 'Guzzi (U-1 lawn tractor battery) and it's starter (Fiat car starter).

Cosmo

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Given as it was snowing this morning, I thought a thread on winter riding might be appropriate.

I've been riding in winter since 1982, just so you know. My personal temp record is -15 F to and from work.

Personal gear I use has varied somewhat, but am now down to a Widder electric vest and chaps I bought in 1985, Aerostar boots, a pair of snow pants, a US Navy pullover that is scary warm, my usual riding jacket and my rain jacket top, to cut the wind. Plus various sweatshirts and long undies, depends on the temp and length of ride.

Were I to tog up today, I'd go with an electric jacket (or vest with sleeves), the rest works out well enough not to want to change.

The bike gets: Hippo Hands, heated grips and seat, winter covers for the radiator outlets, extra air wings to direct air away from my legs, and I am going to try a second battery in a spare left saddlebag, just to give a bit more when the temps are below 0. Thinking of a U-1 lawn tractor battery, though I have another GW battery on the shelf, too.

If finances permit, a sidecar will be Really helpful on those snowy days. I've had in the past, and t'was like a street legal snowmobile.

Those are what I do/use, what are your techniques and ideas??

Cosmo

P.S. I've already been called crazy, a couple (dozen? hundred?) times.
The only idea that comes to mind is for you to post your snowy bike exploits ,would find that very entertaining:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Temperature isn't a factor for me, only ice and snow. I've been down twice in my younger years and do not want to ever do it again.
I just layer clothes with a top layer of leather. I'm not long distance riding this time of year, just transportation.
This will be my first winter with my goldwing. I've been riding my '82 GL500 Silverwing Interstate for the past couple of years.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
Here are my bikes in cold weather

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only idea that comes to mind is for you to post your snowy bike exploits ,would find that very entertaining:)
Ya mean like the time I was a couple beers into a night, thought it would be fun doing donuts with my sidecar rig, until I hit a Non-snowy patch and flipped it??

At work. With an audience.

That kinda exploit??

Cosmo

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
My winter riding technique? DON'T ! I live in Michigan, our roads are **** (with a capital S). Once they salt them I am done for the season. That's just something I am not going to do to my bike.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.