21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
Heated gear.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Due to some circumstances beyond my control recently, I have been riding the wing to my new job. Its only 8 miles with about 4 miles on the highway. Not really long enough to get froze to the bone. This morning was a bit cold, upper 30's I think. I have a nice Taos jacket coming and am looking forward to its use. I believe I will continue to test my temperature limits. Next week will definitely do it since it is suppose to get down to the low 20's. Highs 30's. Everyone at my new job keeps asking if its too cold out? lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
winter riding

I found a good used 1 piece Aerostich Roadcrafter suit this Fall and really like it. Last weekend I added, with my sons help, OEM heated grips to my 2013 F6B Standard.

Yesterday riding the F6B it was 32F when I left home, 25 miles to work 34F on arrival. With un-insulated leather gloves, street clothes & a light jacket under the Stich I did have cold spots on the back of my hands and some blow up my arms. Some blow up the pants but my fault for just wearing street shoes. Overall is was fine for the short distance but an all day ride at that temp would not have been.

Thin insulated leather gauntlets that Aerostich carries are on my wish list.

An insulated vest may be a summer purchase but I'm researching those now.

My long term goal is all day reasonable comfort riding down to about 30F.

·
Administrator
57,671 Posts
Due to some circumstances beyond my control recently, I have been riding the wing to my new job. Its only 8 miles with about 4 miles on the highway. Not really long enough to get froze to the bone. This morning was a bit cold, upper 30's I think. I have a nice Taos jacket coming and am looking forward to its use. I believe I will continue to test my temperature limits. Next week will definitely do it since it is suppose to get down to the low 20's. Highs 30's. Everyone at my new job keeps asking if its too cold out? lol

Sure hope that bike has a nice strong AGM battery to keep it whirling over in the sub-zero times this winter.

Made a world of difference on my bike.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thinking of a U-1 lawn tractor battery, though I have another GW battery on the shelf, too.

I'm thinking this is a good idea. Here on the wet coast it doesn't get all that cold in the winter, just wet. However for those cold days like today, an extra bit of battery power will make starting the beast easier.

*edit* Just tried this and the bike cranked over and started just like it was summer. Temp is sitting at 31 F.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Hard to beat an Odyssey battery. They aren't cheap but I never had a problem with any I've owned. The bike can sit for weeks if needed and still start without needing a battery tender.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Personally I prefer the AGM type battery because besides their better performance over time they don't need a vent tube which often slobbers acid on the muffler.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
With temps in single digits this week, I figured I would keep the frozen feeling from happening. I will probably wait until fri this week when it warms up a bit. A high of 19 does not appeal to me....

Don't see a problem with my regular battery yet. Seems to be doing fine so far.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.