Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's those who do store their bikes for the winter months use them ? And ,,,, what the name brand that you use? I got 1 , and it didn't seem to charge/maintain the battery at all.

·
Administrator
57,667 Posts
I have 3 or 4 of the Battery Tender brand, each dedicated to a specific battery.
I have a larger NAPA with alligator clips that I move around in severe cold weather to keep my truck's battery up to snuff.

never tried, nor will I ever buy one from Harbor Freight.
My batteries are worth more to me, than savings $5 on a Battery Tender at HF.

I have never had any of my Battery Tender chargers ever fail. Zilch, not one of them.

the little ones are just fine for bike batteries, 750 mA is more than enough.
I have one that is 2.25 A it is used for a big wet cell on a lawn tractor.
The NAPA unit is 900 mA, and right now, it is close to finishing up this 100AH / 1000 CCA Deep Cycle battery.
The WindyNation battery was at 10*F when I brought it in the house, showing 12.51 volts which is low.

see the pix after about 36 hours on charge with the NAPA charger.

The little guys are just fine for keeping batteries topped off.
That NAPA used to rest on my 1998 Dodge Cummins truck, it had two huge batteries in it. It would keep it topped off, but would not bring them back up to full charge in a decent amount of time if allowed to get too low. That truck had too much "standby current" to be left alone for 5 or 6 months.... I discovered that the hard way, and that is when I bought the NAPA charger. I used a big charger to get the dual batteries up to 13.3ish and then clipped on the NAPA charger and left it alone for another year.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had 1 that I had dedicated to my Tour Glide. But I let that 1 go with it. When I bought it, it was attached to it. So it was only fitting. My son gave me 1, a tender, I hooked it up. Didn't seem to be working. Had it hooked up for 3-4 days . Went out to crank the wing over and the battery seemed dead, or very low. So,,,,,, I went out to wallie world and bought a new 1. I'll check it tomorrow and see if the wing'll crank.

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
I got several maintainers, one from TSC, one from B&D, and another I have no idea where from. They all are about 1500 ma (1.5 amp) maintainers. I have three 10 amp chargers too, one is a '70s era NAPA and one a '80s era Shroyer (spl?) and a 2015 or so Schumacher 2/6/10 amp smart charger that also desulphates and does AGM batteries.

Never had a "Battery Tender" go bad, but I did once have one dead out the box …. rare - I know. I sold it back to the merchant.

My B&D was a gift, it's also supposed to be for AGMs too, I notice that it keeps my trike's batteries at 12.8-13.0 vdc according to my freebie red bodied volt digital test meter from HF like AZgl1800's above.

·
Administrator
57,667 Posts
My B&D was a gift, it's also supposed to be for AGMs too, I notice that it keeps my trike's batteries at 12.8-13.0 vdc according to my freebie red bodied volt digital test meter from HF like AZgl1800's above.
got a giggle out the infamous Red DVM.
I just checked mine against my good CenTex / Fluke clone.
it reads 13.99 and the 'Fluke' reads 13.89

oh well, close enough for "guvmint work"

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
got a giggle out the infamous Red DVM.
I just checked mine against my good CenTex / Fluke clone.
it reads 13.99 and the 'Fluke' reads 13.89

oh well, close enough for "guvmint work"
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised, mine is really - really close to my old Triplett. I got a few on those HF free coupons, got a dozen or more of those 25' tape measures too, but now I get the blue LED magnetic / hook lights, stick them on tool boxes, refrigerator, even got two in bed of my PU as bed lights, they been hanging on tie downs now for two years or longer & still work (under bed cover, on each side near the tailgate).

I used to have a yellow cheapie DVM that was virtually dead on until something fell on it, "crunch".

Awe, dang it!

I was checking accuracy of the then just installed Sun volt meter on my 1200.

·
Administrator
57,667 Posts
I used to have that same Triplett analog meter, really did like it.
It could be used to measure Capacitors, sort of.
Depends on how large the capacitor is, and your calibrated "eyeballs with experience"

10 mFd could kick up scale almost half way on the Megohms scale, IIRC.
that has been 30 years now.

I have a bench Triplett, that requires a power supply to make it work, it is very accurate, just a PITA to use it.... the little HF red DVMs are probably closer anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts