Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm not doing it yet, but figured I need to at least start thinking about it.

Up here in Canada, we get a few months where it's just too cold (and dangerous) to ride, so I have to button 'er up for a while. I keep my 1800 in an un-heated garage.

My normal routine includes:

> Oil and filter change

> Full tank of gas with fuel stabilizer

> remove battery and store indoors

> washed and cleaned

> up on centre stand, front wheel on wood (not cement floor)

> rags in exhaust (to keep the criters out)

> covered

Anything else I should do?

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,707 Posts
imported post

Might just want to test the coolant to see what protection you have. If it is 50/50 you should be Ok for Toronto cold in an unheated garage.

:stumped:

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

maybe plug the air intakes to keep the critters out, mothballs or bounce dryer sheets

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,758 Posts
imported post

OK, I'm going to put myself out. But when friends need help, you offer it, right?

Stan, send the bike to me and I'll be happy to see to it that it gets ridden 5 to 7 days a week during the cold winter months. You can have it shipped back whenyour weather clears.

Thisway there's no need for you to do all that prep work. :action:

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
imported post

Boy the outpouring of generosity on this website is amazing. What an offer Dennis. Don't see how he could pass up an offer like that.

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,707 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
OK, I'm going to put myself out. But when friends need help, you offer it, right?

Stan, send the bike to me and I'll be happy to see to it that it gets ridden 5 to 7 days a week during the cold winter months. You can have it shipped back whenyour weather clears.

Thisway there's no need for you to do all that prep work. :action:
I was gonna offer to take it to Florida for him for the 3 months..But I am not as Bold as you Dennis..:action: :action: :action:

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

What a kind and generous offer Dennis. Instead of sending the bike to you, maybe I'll just ride it out to Arizona and stay with you for the winter months. It'll still get riden those 5-7 days week....

:banana::banana::banana:

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

Stanman wrote:
What a kind and generous offer Dennis. Instead of sending the bike to you, maybe I'll just ride it out to Arizona and stay with you for the winter months. It'll still get riden those 5-7 days week....

:banana::banana::banana:
Wow what a deal Stanman. you are going to ride your bike to arizona just so dennis can ride it 5-7 days a week !!! Enjoy Dennis, just remenber, when you ride a 1800, you will want one, but if you can get Stanman to ride it to you every winter that maybe the same as owning one:applause::D :needahug:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

With the addition of checking the antifreeze I think you have it all Stanman. That's all I ever did to my wheeled machinery for the 8 month winter storage at Kotzebue, AK. I like Sea Foam for fuel stabilizing, sometimes Stabil causes hard starting in the spring and requires flushing the fuel system. I don't know what difference having the front wheel on wood instead of concrete makes, I never had any problems in a concrete floored unheated shed where I stored my bike and summer car and it got down as low as -40F or as you measure it -40C.

[suP]It's the same at -40[/suP]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.