Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

First time bike owner, need to know what I should be doing to store bike for the winter, I have a friend with a heated garage and plenty of room, plus a battery tender but need advise on any thing else. It's a 84 1200.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Put a block of wood under the engine so that there is no weight (or very little) on the front tyre, that will stop the tyre going out of shape. If you balance it right both wheels will be off the ground

Don't bother draining the fuel from the carbs and tank unless the bike will be stored for a few years. Just put a petrol cleaner/ stabliizer in the tank and run it for a couple of miles before the layup. That will stop the carbs gumming up.

Spray the wheels and engine and other metal partswith WD40 or similar. This will stop the rot. Don't use the grey waxy stuff (can't remember the name) that is used when shipping new vehicles. Its a pain to clean off and eats into the engine surfaces when the engine gets hot unless you get every little bit off after the layup.

When you get the bike in position, last thing is to push the brake pads in as far as they will go. This pushes the pistons back and reduces the amount of piston area liable to corrosion and gumming up. Less chance of seizing brakes in Spring.

Take the spark plugs out and spray WD40 into the cylinders. Stops corrosion of the cylinders.

Don't put a cover on the bike if the garage is heated. The cover will sweat and drip condensation onto the bike. A humidifier is a good idea as it takes the moisture out of the air and keeps everything dry.

Vaseline or Dielectric grease on the battery terminals. Optimate is a must, money well spent.

Before you start the engine next spring, put the bike in top gear and turn the back wheel to rotate the engine a couple of times to check for stuck pistone rings.

Put a coat of wax (one that is easy to wipe off) on all the painted panels and just leave it on. This will stop oxidization in its tracks. You can put wax on the wheels instead of WD40 if you want to keep lube away from the tyres.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Gee shiver ! ! :cheeky1:Gosh I got cold reading that. :snowman:The winter must be bad in Canada. :snowman:I thought we had the worst weather in Ireland. :whip:

:snowman: :18red: :snowman:

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
imported post

you want to know what to do easy do the same as i do in the uk ride it all year every day it stops brakes locking up /flat batterys/starting problems ect but if you cant ride all year then get it out on dry days and give it a run it helps to keep the carbs clean

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

glennuk wrote:
you want to know what to do,ride it all year every day if you cant ride all year then get it out on dry days and give it a run it helps to keep the carbs clean
Hey glennuk, :jumper:Now your sucking diesel. :skipping:Dont let those god damn cobwebs gather on your :18red:. :clapper:

:snowman: :18red: :santawaving: :18red: :snowman:

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
imported post

As somebody who rides year-round, and only lives 25 miles south of you (also driving an 84 Goldwing), I second the advice down below...ride it whenever you get a dry day on Davis Drive this winter.;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Nice looking machine, Dean.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Dean nice bike it's the spitting image of mine, looks like same crome bits too. Thanks for the info, will try and get it out on dry days, hate to be putting it away so soon.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

dean wrote:
As somebody who rides year-round, and only lives 25 miles south of you (also driving an 84 Goldwing), I second the advice down below...ride it whenever you get a dry day on Davis Drive this winter.;)
The only problem with deans idea is once they start putting down salt on the roads it will leach out of the snow banks all winter. And the last thing you want on your all aluminum engine is salt, especially if it's in a heated garage. Salt above 0C or 32 F becomes an acid, and no matter how careful you are about cleaning, you will never get it all out of the little nooks and crannies of the bike. Even on dry days odds are you will go over a puddle from the melting snow, or even just the dried salt dust on the road will coat your bike. I have been doing like FitzAl says for years, the only differance is I run the bike with the fuel shut off untill it stalls to get all the gas out of the carbs. :waving:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

goldwinger wrote:
The only problem with deans idea is once they start putting down salt on the roads it will leach out of the snow banks all winter. And the last thing you want on your all aluminum engine is salt, especially if it's in a heated garage. Salt above 0C or 32 F becomes an acid, and no matter how careful you are about cleaning, you will never get it all out of the little nooks and crannies of the bike. Even on dry days odds are you will go over a puddle from the melting snow, or even just the dried salt dust on the road will coat your bike. I have been doing like FitzAl says for years, the only differance is I run the bike with the fuel shut off untill it stalls to get all the gas out of the carbs.
I coat my wheels and engine in Rejex just before the salt season and about once every 5-6 weeks during the winter. It does really stop the salt getting a grip on the metal.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
imported post

:D Excellent suggestion about the coating. And it is true that no matter how much you clean the nooks and crannies, the crap gets in there and does it's devilish work!:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

That Rejex is turning out to be the business all right. Keeps the fur from growing on the wheels etc. Nice to find something that actually works for a change.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

BigAl wrote:
That Rejex is turning out to be the business all right. Keeps the fur from growing on the wheels etc. Nice to find something that actually works for a change.
Could anyone tell me where this product can be bought? I live in West Yorkshire.I've tried searching the internet but the result is always U.S sites.

Thanks in advance.

:15red:

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

underwing wrote:
BigAl wrote:
Could anyone tell me where this product can be bought? I live in West Yorkshire.I've tried searching the internet but the result is always U.S sites.

Thanks in advance.
Found it!! Airtimeaviation.com!

Thanks anyway:):):)

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Well done. the price from the UK dealer is a bit dearer than the US ones, but the saving on shipping will make up for that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.