Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'll be putting my bike in my un-heated garage for this up coming extremely cold & snowy winter. I've heard that putting a breathable cover over it (like a 100% cotton sheet) is a good idea, but I'm not sure what the sheet does or doesn't do. Can anyone help me with this? Thanx

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
imported post

Cover will keep the dirt/dust off. Put a mouse sticky pad and some moth balls under the bike to keep the rodents out, they seem to love building nests in goldwings and chewing filters, wires and seats.Put some Sta-bil in the fuel and Seafoam then run the bike until you can smell it coming out the exhaust. Then top the gas tank off. Remove the battery and put it in the house where it's warm and keep it charged. Make sure the bike is on the center stand and tires are fully inflated. Change the oil and filter, check/change anti freeze. Make sure you follow Honda recommendations for fluids and lubes. See ya in the spring

BTW: put a dollup of peanut butter in the center of the sticky pad.

Sorry, I don't have any recommendations for where to find parts in Canada.

I upgraded from 1200's to the 1500 this year myself and find the 1500 much easier to ride and maintain.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

45/70fan I had the bike in the garage last year & there was no problem with mice, but just in case, is the following an example of mouse pads?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wholesale-lot-Mouse-Glue-Traps-New-NIP-Rodents-Sticky-Disposable-x10-pk-2-per-/250919192567?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6bf307f7

How many do I need & where should I put them?
The bike is about 10' long. How long will they last? I can't put the bike on center stand, so will have to get a bike jack to jack it up. Where do I place moth balls? How do I make sure both balls don't fly away? The sides & bottom of the garage door has about a 2" gap & wind & a bit of snow can get in there. I also have a fully inflated spare rear tire in wheel with brakes attached to it in a cardboard box. How do u suggest I protect that from mice? I shud note that since i removed all the food from the garage, mice don't come in it anymore.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
imported post

Yes those pads should work, how many do you need?That really depends on how bad the mouse problem is but one pad will catch several mice. I see the pads are coming out of my back yard.
One pad at a time under the bike should be sufficient, it may last all winter, depends on how fast it collects the critters, check it at least every other week.
What you could do with the moth balls is put a few in some of the wife's nylons and hang them under the bike so you have bike balls. I would think that 2-3 would work and they should last for a year at least unless they get wet.

The spare tire shouldn't attract the mice unless the box is closed up, they tend to like dark places for building their nests.

Removal of any food helps but they are good at collecting seeds and grains outside the building and bringing it in.

Doesthe black powder muzzle loading club still have the Ft Whoop Upshoot every year?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

happer wrote:
I'll be putting my bike in my un-heated garage for this up coming extremely cold & snowy winter.
Oh please, if you want to see extreme cold come on out east to WINTERPEG! I've been in Lethbridge in mid-winter and seen days when you could wear a T-shirt outside and feel comfortable. Do that here and be prepared to lose the exposed appendage!

Never used a stinky moth ball when storing my bikes/boat/camper. Use Downey or Bounce Dryer sheets. Stuff them in the fairing and any other space a mouse might like to nest. Never had a single mouse and it smells soooo fresh in spring. Been doing this in my camping trailers and boats and bikes for over twenty years and never once had a mouse problem. When we moved to our current location our neighbor parked his twenty foot sailboat in his backyard and failed to mouse-proof the thing. What a mess in spring! He has since seen the light with no further incidents. So we do have them around here but NOT in my toys.
Do a search on the site and you'll see that a lot of us use this method with great success.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

45/70fan Thanx for the reply. How important is it to raise the bike to suspend the tires? I had my bike in the garage one winter one it's tires & there was no problem. I didn't even have it covered with anything, or raised.

I'm not sure how many mouse pads I need. What do u think? It's a 1500, so about 10' long. I don't think I really have a problem with mice since I took the food out of the garage.

Also, that spare tire I have is in a cardboard box with just one part (one of the narrow ends open) I wonder if I shud put anything in the box.

Should I put any protectant or anything on the seat? (not Armour all tho apparantly ...too slippery)

Thank you 45/70fan

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Don't forget to shut off the fuel supply so that your carbs don't get flooded.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
imported post

I don't have any personal experience in storing a goldwing. mine doesn't sit still long enough for gas to go bad. but all of you that have to put them up in the winter do have my sincere condolences.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

beenshot wrote:
I don't have any personal experience in storing a goldwing. mine doesn't sit still long enough for gas to go bad. but all of you that have to put them up in the winter do have my sincere condolences.
No condolences required. We adapt:

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/0_XY0cwvYuc[/flash]

or for those of us a bit younger than CJ:smiler: and more adventurous:

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/v0iM_5b1G0Y[/flash]

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
imported post

Beenshot, come north of the Mason-Dixon line in about a month and experience a real winter, this one coming up is supposed to be a doosey.

happer, I use Armour all on the seat but then I expect it to be slippery and have a lashed down sheep skin on mine but I do want to keep the seat supple so it doesn't tear or dry out and crack. This would be your call.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
imported post

45/70fan wrote:
Beenshot, come north of the Mason-Dixon line in about a month and experience a real winter, this one coming up is supposed to be a doosey.
I'm too wimpyfor a real winter. :raspberry:

·
Premium Member
12,056 Posts
imported post

wpgfire wrote:
Just where is the fuel shut off valve on a 1500? Been riding mine 3 years

and haven't found it yet.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
imported post

NC Aspenwing wrote:
wpgfire wrote:

That was my first thought as well...The Fuel Shutoff is the Vacuum operated petcock located near the gas tank filler neck...

If there is another way..someone should clue us in...?

:? (Manual petcocks on OTHER bikes I understand)

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

NC Aspenwing wrote:
wpgfire wrote:

Fuel shut off is automatic on the 1500's. Remember change oil and filter. It is best to put a block under the engine so the neither wheel is touching the floor. And pretty much any fabric softner sheet will keep the mice out. Make sure you put one in each muffler end. It's best to leave some of the sheet hanging out so you can find them all in the spring.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
imported post

Happer

Putting the bike UP on the centerstand is not really that hard if you know the technique. I am certain you have had it explained before...hopefully you can practice it and get batter at doing it..But it is NOT REQUIRED for storage.

Getting the bike off it's wheels will help aleviate pressure on the suspension while in storage. I put mine up on the center stand and place a piece of carpet under the front wheel. But again - not required...

Fuel stabilizer is a must do....Battery care is a must do....

Hopefully the antifreeze has been changed recently and is ready for sub-zero temps...

I pull the battery and hook it up to a tender inthe basement all winter (that is about 4 months long here in Wisconsin).

A good cleaning before storing is nice as you will be ready to go in Spring and prevents oxidation all winter.

Do NOT start and run the bike while it is stored. It will NOT help "keep things going" like some may say. All that does is introduce moisture into your exhaust system as it does not get hot enough to dry completely without a good ride...

During Winter it is advisable to sit on the bike and make "vroom-vroom" noises while pretending to ride..it helps both you and the bike stay in shape for spring...:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
imported post

I use mothballs in a glass container with holes in the lid. I have been living here for 15 years and only seen one mouse. But that could be because I have three outside cats !

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
imported post

wow ,,, my bike will be under me on the open road all winter long . i hate it for yall having to store your wings for so long ..... if yall get to board drop me a line and i will take a ride for ya:cheesygrin::waving:

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
imported post

Yes please, take a lot of rides for us. The only thing I ride in the winter is my Fergusson tractor with the snowblower on the 3 PTH.

There now doesn't that make you glad you live in SC ?

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

One other really important thing if storing the bike in a unheated space, Make sure you empty the rear shocks of all air. If there is any moisture in the compressed air (And there usually is) it will freeze and could damage the inner workings of the shock.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.