Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have to go to help my son for a few weeks and I will not be able to take my 94 1500. I ride all winter long so I don't want to store the bike and my wife is unable to start it and let it warm up every few days (I ride a couple times a week all winter if there is no snow or ice). So I am thinking just put the battery tender on it and the cover and go.

What else can I do? The tank is filled every time I put it in the garage and I will put Stabil in it before I go.
Thanks

Mike

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

I have to go to help my son for a few weeks and I will not be able to take my 94 1500. I ride all winter long so I don't want to store the bike and my wife is unable to start it and let it warm up every few days (I ride a couple times a week all winter if there is no snow or ice). So I am thinking just put the battery tender on it and the cover and go.

What else can I do? The tank is filled every time I put it in the garage and I will put Stabil in it before I go.
Thanks

Mike

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,747 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you've got it covered.

A 3 or 4 week rest shouldn't hurt a thing, even without precautions.

Just as long as it doesn't turn in to a 34 week rest.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Sounds like you've got it covered.
Agreed...........that's all I do - the battery tender being the most important!

T.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

Sounds like everything should be fine. The battery tender should take care of all for that short of a time.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

I put mine up all winter last year, Battery Tender and full tank.
Started right up in the spring.
I plan on riding more this winter. Got the coveralls. No ice, no snow, I will be on the go....

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

I read somewhere that starting up a bike once a week or so is not good. It said that condensation would over time rot the muffler from the inside. my 2 cents ???:waving:

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't start it up just to run for a few minutes. That is asking for rusty mufflers. If you are going to start it, you should run it long enough for everything to get hot and evaporate the water in your mufflers. Of coarse the best way to get it warm is to ride it for a few minutes. If that is not possible then I wouldn't start it at all until you can ride it. That is my opinion only and the way I do it. If you feel differently then do it your way... it's your bike. :smiler:

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I don't know if it is right or not but for 17 years when I start it in the winter and I am not able to ride it I let it warm up until the fans cycle a couple times then shut down. So far the mufflers are fine and no rust blows out of them nor do they have any rusty holes in them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.