Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well , between my affliction and the weather my riding season's just about over. Maybe. Anyway what do you do to put your Wing to bed for the winter months ? Now remember. You got mice to deal with as well as the weather.

·
Administrator
25,025 Posts
I don't store mine but if I did I would fill the tank with non ethanol gas if possible, add stabil and run it long enough to get it through the system and put a open can of moth balls under it. Take the battery out and store it in a temperature controlled place or connect a tender to it.

·
Administrator
58,450 Posts
In addition to those moth balls, which I do, get a few bars of Irish Spring soap and carve it up into chunks.

Sprinkle those under the bike, and around the edges of the storage area. Smells nice to you, but mice/rats hate the stuff. I stuck a chunk of soap under the gas tank lid. that will help the mice stay away from under the shelter.

I just bought 4 bars for this winter's storage.

dryer sheets never worked for me

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't winterize often, I don't mind a couple inches of snow. Still in the few bad weeks we get, I flush and bleed the brakes and clutch, change the oil (engine and rear end). Park it up on the center stand and rest the front tire on a 2x4 (off the concrete). If it's going to be a few months I bleed down the tire pressure only about about 10 psi. Moth balls, stabil, battery tender and dust cover finish it off.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Hmmm- down here no need to winterize-just keep the tires rolling along.0:)

·
Administrator
25,025 Posts
If it's going to be a few months I bleed down the tire pressure only about about 10 psi.
I would disagree with that, air the tires up to the max pressure on the sidewall to prevent flat spots.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well my rear is off the ground and front is only about 10 low. I've put the front crash guards on Jack stands also, so both tires are actually off the concrete. Never had it put away long enough to get flat spots, but that is a thought. I also have E-4s which are pretty much hard as rocks!

·
Administrator
58,450 Posts
My travel trailer sits a lot, the tire dealer told me that i needed to have Goodyear Premium 10 ply tires, aired up to maximum Sidewall Pressure so they won't Flat Spot.

for that tire, it is 85 psi. those tires have never flat spotted and it sits a lot in between trips. no way, you are going to jack up 8,000 lbs off the concrete.

·
Registered
640 Posts
No particular "Winter Prep" done here, in Denver it is not uncommon to see 70 (or -20) degree days in the dead of winter. So the bikes are kept ready to ride unless partially dismantled for maint in progress.

I have two Battery Tenders, they get rotated weekly between the two 'Wings, GF's '83 Virago and the big Deep-Cycle battery we use camping. So all batteries are kept in more-or-less top charge. Might be 5 weeks without being started, or then again might be riding two weeks in January! Winter is fickle here. :snowman::santahat:
:11grey::15red:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I store my tires and bike's with tires off the concrete, not so much to prevent flat spots but to elude the temperature variance. Here the temps are well below freezing and I've always been advised to store them off the concrete, I presume because it maintains a cold spot that freezes the tires more easily near the contact point. Cars I store for the weather get moved every couple weeks so to not sit on the same tire patch all winter. Spares and unmounted tires I rack horizontally and off the ground as well. Here flat spots can become a real issue when sub zero temps are common and can be persistent, but my wing is rarely parked more than a couple weeks, so it's easy to park on the center stand and 2x4. My Virago is on its center stand and there front is jacked up just off the floor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yea living here in northern Wyoming sucks I have several bikes that need winterizing but my 76 goldwing is my pride and joy the bike sat out of commission for almost 20 years just got it back up and going last spring if I could get it in my livingroom I would kept a 750 nighthawk in my first house back in the 80s I think when the roads are clear I'm just going to keep riding Yeller I hate winterizing bikes I think if you can ride them and keep them running the better for them just find a way to warm them before starting and take them up to running temp to get rid of the condensation I think boy didnt mean to be so wendy but dont say much on here so I hope it's not so bad the bike has hibernate all winter so keep giving your much needed tips thanks

·
Administrator
58,450 Posts
I've been forced to NOT ride my 1800 for 14 months.
In between, every couple months, I would go start it up and let it run for 30 minutes to make sure the fans have cycled at least twice.

So far, that has worked very well for me....
I also keep a Battery Tender plugged in full time when the bike not going down the road.

Always put it up on the center stand. Makes it easier for me to climb up on it these days.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Winterize

I run MMO in the oil and then change oil and filter. I also put extra MMO in the gas and run through carbs- always starts in Spring with one touch on the starter and runs like a dream. On center stand; wood dowels in the exhaust to keep the corn-storing mice out (don't like the burnt popcorn smell all summer long) and check all fluid levels before and after storage. Battery gets used in my snowmobile but also gets charged on a tender monthly.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I run MMO in the oil and then change oil and filter. I also put extra MMO in the gas and run through carbs- always starts in Spring with one touch on the starter and runs like a dream. On center stand; wood dowels in the exhaust to keep the corn-storing mice out (don't like the burnt popcorn smell all summer long) and check all fluid levels before and after storage. Battery gets used in my snowmobile but also gets charged on a tender monthly.
Marvel's mystery oil ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts