Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Currently have brand new 2016 GL1800. Have had wings for years and have done normal storage things, clean, oil, preservatives, etc. Upon reading posts recently, I was wondering about this. Is it ok to leave the bike on the center stand and the front wheel on the concrete floor? Or can I perhaps place supports under the the frame portion elevating the front wheel free? Or place piece of wood under the front tire?

And moth balls under the bike after it has a full cover?

Thanx, Safe riding to all...

TJ

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
While on the center stand just put a small scissors jack under the front of the engine, just behind the oil filter, to lift the wheel about 1/4 inch.
Or a block of wood, have someone push the rear of the bike down and place a block and wood wedges under the engine.

·
Administrator
57,448 Posts
I'm in Oklahoma where it doesn't get all that cold for long periods of time.

I just put it up on the center stand and leave it alone.

moth balls and lots of Irish Spring soap shavings around it, under the gas tank lid, etc.
even stuck a shaving in the saddle bags.... at least it smells clean :)

Personally, I just can't be worried about the tires resting on concrete.

RV trailer has 4 tires, Suburban has 4 tires, car has 4 tires, 3 lawn mowers all have tires, all of them resting on concrete somewhere.

golf cart has 4 tires, the trailer for it has two tires.....
not worth the effort to keep them off the ground/concrete.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
I'm in Oklahoma where it doesn't get all that cold for long periods of time.

I just put it up on the center stand and leave it alone.

moth balls and lots of Irish Spring soap shavings around it, under the gas tank lid, etc.
even stuck a shaving in the saddle bags.... at least it smells clean :)

Personally, I just can't be worried about the tires resting on concrete.

RV trailer has 4 tires, Suburban has 4 tires, car has 4 tires, 3 lawn mowers all have tires, all of them resting on concrete somewhere.

golf cart has 4 tires, the trailer for it has two tires.....
not worth the effort to keep them off the ground/concrete.

One correction. I have a 28 foot toy hauler and when I store it, I put it on 2X6's with a rubber matting attached.

I don't worry about flat spots, but most RV sites recommend to keep the tires on a synthetic or rubber material and out of the water.

·
Administrator
57,448 Posts
One correction. I have a 28 foot toy hauler and when I store it, I put it on 2X6's with a rubber matting attached.

I don't worry about flat spots, but most RV sites recommend to keep the tires on a synthetic or rubber material and out of the water.
I have wondered about using some 2x6's under the tires.
the tire shop (Discount Tire) asked how I use the Toy Hauler, how long does it sit? They recommended that I purchase the Goodyear Premium 10 ply tire as it resists flat spotting. So far, after 18 months, that seems to be true.
( they also provide a Lifetime Tread wear hazard warranty, bought it )

would love to have powered chassis jacks to just lift the axles up a few inches, but the cost of that is prohibitive for retirement folks.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
I have wondered about using some 2x6's under the tires.
the tire shop (Discount Tire) asked how I use the Toy Hauler, how long does it sit? They recommended that I purchase the Goodyear Premium 10 ply tire as it resists flat spotting. So far, after 18 months, that seems to be true.
( they also provide a Lifetime Tread wear hazard warranty, bought it )

would love to have powered chassis jacks to just lift the axles up a few inches, but the cost of that is prohibitive for retirement folks.

Not so much a problem with flat spots. Getting the tires off the pavement stops them from sitting in water during storage. Also, if they are on asphalt, the oils in the asphalt attack the rubber.

As far as the power jacks, it's better to leave the trailer on the wheels. Takes stress off the frame.

Strange that your toy hauler did not have 10 ply tires from the factory.

·
Administrator
57,448 Posts
I don't recall what tires were on it, it is a 2004 year model, and I bought it in 2017.
It had evidence of sitting for many years in Austin, Texas area.

The tires on it, made the trip from Austin, TX to Oologah, OK w/o any issues.
I made a point to air them up to the sidewall psi rating, which was 85 psi.
So, based on that, most likely they were 10 ply.

where I park, there isn't any oil on the concrete surface. It slopes downhill about 10 degrees, it can rain a full flood and we have a river 20 feet wide on the back side of the RV, and in 2 days time, everything is dry as a bone.

this is where it sits when not in use. I put the rear tires about 12 inches away from the grass which slopes off downhill about 1 ft in 20 feet. It is plugged into 120VAC all the time, so we have power inside anytime we wish to work in it. I installed the special RV 30 amp type fused receptacle off the Shop's main breaker box.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have some curved plastic lifts that go under the trailer axles and lift the tires just off the ground when you pull forward. They also work great to change a tire on the road. Was a total cure for flat spots and most other tire issues. As I recall I got them at Camping World decades ago.

·
Administrator
57,448 Posts
I have some curved plastic lifts that go under the trailer axles and lift the tires just off the ground when you pull forward. They also work great to change a tire on the road. Was a total cure for flat spots and most other tire issues. As I recall I got them at Camping World decades ago.
Now that is interesting.

I have seen the curved pads that folks run the trailer tires up on, to level the coach from side to side.

never seen one for the axle.
i am going to look into that.
But, I have Good Sam travel insurance, if a tire goes flat, they change it.

·
Administrator
57,448 Posts
Found those Axle jacks, meant for Storage...
neat.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/TrailerLegs-winning-trailer-stabilizer-storage/dp/B011J5YSBG?SubscriptionId=AKIAJYE2C565R6BPOEKQ&tag=searchtempest-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B011J5YSBG[/ame]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts