Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Any tips for winter storage of an old wing that is not in the books?

Thanks

Dennis

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

driesterer wrote:
Any tips for winter storage of an old wing that is not in the books?

Thanks

Dennis
Put on center stand, 4 oz Seafoam in fuel, store with clean [non-corrosive] oil, change all filters, store charged battery somewhere warm............. work on it all winter.

·
Registered
517 Posts
imported post

I store about a dozen bikes every year. in MN thats about 6 months. heres what works for me:

I recently stored a gl1500 to 10 months (8/07 - 6/08) with this program and it started up like it had run a week before.

1. fill tank with fresh gas; if your area has 10% ethanol get ethanol free if possible. treat immediately with stabil. (stabil prevents the loss of the more volatile fractions in the gasoline. its important to start with fresh gas because fuel even a few weeks old has already lost some.) run the engine to get some of the treated fuel into the carbs/fuel injection.

2. clean it up. cover it with a "breathable" cover. you'll still have to clean it again in spring. avoid waterproof tarps which promote condensation and corrosion.

3. remove battery and use batt. maintainer or leave batt. in bike and use batt. maintainer. I have more bikes than batt. maintainers so I apply maintainer about 1-2 days per month which seems to work OK.

4. mice love airboxes. they are also partial to exhaust systems. moth balls scattered around the bike are supposed to keep them away. 1/2 dozen starving cats also works well. you can stuff steel wool into airbox intake and mufflers, mice will not chew thru that. If you go with steel wool LEAVE YOURSELF A NOTE that you did so taped to a mirror.

5. change the oil. combustion contaminants in used oil can cause corrosion over a long shut down.

6. if brake or clutch hyd. fluid is cloudy change it.

7. make a list of the things you want to do in spring (like new rubber, tune-up, add a farkle, or whatever) and tape it to a mirror.

8. put some nice add-ons for your bike on your christmas list. be very specific. nothing's worse than getting some chrome part for a harley from a well meaning wife or girlfriend.

9. start planning next years trips.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the tips. I never thought about gas a few weeks old. Although, I go through a tank or two per week when riding everyday. Mouse proofing is always a concern. Bounce fabric softener sheets did a good job on my boat. I forgot about that one until now. stuff a few in and aroung the airbox and exhaust may help.

Thanks

Dennis

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

What is sea foam and what does it do?

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Seafoam cleans your entire fuel system and can be used instead of STP's Stabil to preserve fuel. Some Walmarts have it & NAPA usually carries it.

I like to run about 4 ounces in the crankcase for about 75 miles immediately before changing my oil for storage. There always seems to be decent day where I can ride a couple hours in ANY month, so I change the oil again in the spring [every 3 months, regarless of miles, to remove acid].

Also, I have an AGM battery, aka 'dry cell'[335cca] which the maker states cannot be used with the "Battery Tender" brand of trickle charger. Check with the maker for the proper 'float charge' for your specific battery. The liquid acid batteries are fairly universal.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Great info...Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.