Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Happy New Year evrybody.This is my first winter with my bike.Has to go to sleep for4 months. I am looking for winterizing tips -oil to the cylinders ?sambody sugested 2 cykle oil to the fuel tank and short run of the engine.Any sugestion wiil be appreciated.

Vitho

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

Best thing for fuel stabilization would be Seafoam (available at NAPA stores). Put a healthy dose in the tank and run it until you're sure it is through the system. Keep the tank full also. The only other thing I do to mine is a fresh oil change before I put it away. I keep mine in my garage for the winter and it doesn't get below freezing. I usually run it a couple times during the winter. I've been told that you don't have to worry about the oil getting acidic if you use synthetic so that's what I have been using. I also put any tires contacting the ground on a piece of carpet just to keep them off the concrete and I do move the bikes arouns from time to time to stop from creating a flat spot on the tire.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

No matter what else you do to winterize your bike, don't over look the
care and feeding of your battery.

To keep the battery on my bike in good condition, I use a VDC
Electronics BatteryMINDer to maintain the battery over the winter
months. The charger is a bit spendy, 70 bucks, but I think worth
it over all. I have gotten 5+ years out of a battery using the BatteryMINDer.
The unit also keeps the battery de-sulfated.

I also have one of VDC's solar chargers maintaining three batteries this winter.
Two GL1200 batteries and mom's ride lawnmower battery.

Goldwings 4 ever is right on the money with his suggestions.

I might add.......

Start and warm-up your bike at least a couple of times a month. Keeps
the cobwebs out. No need to lube the cylinders if you do this.

Be sure to check tire pressure before riding your bike. Should do this
every time before you ride.

There are others lurking here, that have some good suggestion I sure.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Also, check antifreeze, put bike on centerstand, battery charger depending on type of battery [proper float level]. Some put battery in house & check charge every month. Others like to disconnect NEG cable on battery & charge as necessary....depends where you keep it.

Synth oil becomes acidic when engine runs....it forms "hydrocarbons" = Hydrogen... and excess hydrogen is the definition of acid [to over-simplify].

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Put stabil in the gas

Pull the battery and put in a warmer place (the house)

Cover the bike with a blanket; so the warm moist weather in the Spring doesn't cover you bike with water when it hits the cold metal of the bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.