Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just bought a Interstate and left it in Ga for the winter.

GREAT BIKE!!

Got tired of trailering 2 Harleys wife and mine from Fl.

The Harleys are a terd compaired to the Goldwing!!

Put a Battery tender, and Stabil (correct mix) in the full tank of gas, then ran it for 15 min.

That's it. Did I do it right?

I live in Fl and never have to winterize, so hope it's ok?

Bought this place in Ga mtns (to get away from Fl summers) and the ridding is the bestwe ever experinced!

Blairsville Ga!! (In Union Co) Check it out!!

Thank's, RD.

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
imported post

RD the best winterization for that Wing is to bring it to Carolina and leave it with me. I garontee that it will have the best of care. No need for stabil just some of this high priced gas will do:battle:Even in north Ga you should be able to ride most of the winter, right:baffled:

Keep on Winging:bat:

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

That's all I do with mine. It does have clean oil in it, right?

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
imported post

I recently winterized mine. Here is what I did with it.

I changed the oil and filter. Old oil is bad for storinga bike so Id change it imo.

Changed the coolant and flushed the system. I mainly did this to satisfy my brain since I dont know when it was last done.

Changed the final drive oil. Same reason, I dont know when it was last done.

I didnt bother with a tender and I never have. I just pulled the battery and put it in the house.

I put stabil in the tank and rode it home from the shop which is about 20 miles. Your 15 minutes will be just fine as far as that goes.

I stored it in my shed on the center stand and also blocked it to keep the weight off both tires. I had a tire go bad because of sitting in one spot for 4 months so its just something I do now.

Hope this helps a bit.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Every thing that has been said and it don't hurt to throw a few moth balls behind each side cover and under the seat just to keep the critters at bay.

I know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, now you'll have to go out and catch a bunch of moths :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the replies

You meet the nicest people on a Honda, (1962)

I did leave it on the center stand, and the cooling system is checked out to -50.

The oil was just changed.

But the moth balls idea is a great idea that I was going to do but forgot!

I did spray a lot of bug spray all around but the micemay be a real problem.

I am concerned with the 10% ethanol gas.

My Harley had a problem with it a few months ago, as well as some small engine equipment I own. It gums up the carbs really bad when it sits for a while.

I rode my 97 Heritage Springer today and my back is killing me.

I am tempted to sell mine and my wife's 96 Heritage and get another Goldwing for here in Fl, and put her on the back again.

The Goldwing is a superior motorcycle to any Harley.

I will never buy anything but a Goldwing from now on!

Anyone interested in two Harleys?

Thank's you guys!

Respectfully, RD

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
imported post

funny you should say that. I have a wing and Im sure the wife would kill me if I got rid of it. But Im looking to buy a Harley. I like taking the wing out when the wife is with me but I want a Harley for myself.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

The Harley is a status thing that is more of an oxymoron.

They are not smooth, they vibrate alot, the technology is still from the 50s. and when you cruse at 55 it feels like your doing 95 on the wing!

I had to buy a new pair of sun glasses because the vibrationrattled theglasses off my nose!!

Now I have a rope thing that holds on to the glasses and my head. (you seen them)

and I have to tighten them before I ride or else Ill loose my glasses!

Trust me they are all show and no go as far as cruising goes.

Never would I buy another.

I had a Valkyrie Tourer a few years ago and sold it for the Harley!!

What a Mistake!!

They look great, but thats as far as it goes.

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,919 Posts
imported post

If you search the forum some people were saying that the sta-bil was gel-ling in their gas and they were going to try seafoam. That is listed as one of the things it does.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

I was just going to ask about the seafoam as a gas preserver. I use it anyway at a rate of a half a can every 3 tankfuls and I always have some in the garage.

As for the mothballs, I lay them on the seat and hold them down with a short piece of duct tape before the full cover goes on. I also use the mothballs in the air filter intake openings. I do that since I found a half a bag of birdseed that some enterprising field mouse left in my air cleaner compartment when I bought the bike.

I just leave myself a note taped to the dash on what I did so I don't try to start the bike in the spring with that stuff still in it.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
imported post

rdcd wrote:
The Harley is a status thing that is more of an oxymoron.

They are not smooth, they vibrate alot, the technology is still from the 50s. and when you cruse at 55 it feels like your doing 95 on the wing!

I had to buy a new pair of sun glasses because the vibrationrattled theglasses off my nose!!

Now I have a rope thing that holds on to the glasses and my head. (you seen them)

and I have to tighten them before I ride or else Ill loose my glasses!

Trust me they are all show and no go as far as cruising goes.

Never would I buy another.

I had a Valkyrie Tourer a few years ago and sold it for the Harley!!

What a Mistake!!

They look great, but thats as far as it goes.
Iv ridden em for a few years. Iv never had one shake that badly unless it was at idle. I will agree that a wing is better then a HD for the long haul but for me, the fun factor is much higher on a HD. Sorry but a ride over White pass or any of them here locally for that matter is just a whole lot funner for me on a HD then a wing. But I will admit there aint no way Im gonna take an HD on another 2200 mile run. Once was enough for that type of distance lol. But to each his own. Iv already made up my mind that Im getting another one so its a mute point imo.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

ordonje wrote:
I was just going to ask about the seafoam as a gas preserver. I use it anyway at a rate of a half a can every 3 tankfuls and I always have some in the garage.

As for the mothballs, I lay them on the seat and hold them down with a short piece of duct tape before the full cover goes on. I also use the mothballs in the air filter intake openings. I do that since I found a half a bag of birdseed that some enterprising field mouse left in my air cleaner compartment when I bought the bike.

I just leave myself a note taped to the dash on what I did so I don't try to start the bike in the spring with that stuff still in it.
Another thing I did is wrapped a piece of screen over the inlet of the air intake and zip tied it tight.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
imported post

I'm probably the worst offender there is at letting stuff sit unused. Living here in Colorado, at least we're dead dry, so that probably helps. My own method of storage is pretty widely regarded as wrong, but all I do is drain the gas, remove the batteries and bring them indoors. From there time marches on until I feel like riding. Summer of 2007 I uncovered a 1978 Kawasaki KZ650 from a 10 yr sit and had no problems. All the other KZs sit anywhere from 1 to 4 yrs generally between rides and I have never once had a problem with any of them. The one time I did have problem was when Stabil was added to the KZ1000 and after 6 months sitting, the gas was stale in the carbs blocking the jets. So Stabil claim of "up to 3 yrs". doesn't really come true.
However, I own a 1984 Goldwing Aspencade and letting it sit even 6 months always results in multiple problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.