Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm doing some rewiring and can't seem to find female/male bullet connectors that are small enough for the ones on the bike. All the OEM wire connectors on the bike are too small for 22-18 bullet connectors from Radio Shack. There's simply no way they'd slip in snugly. Am i missing something here?

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

You can buy sery small bullet connections, the fat end is for crimping and you usually slip the wire through to the thinner end. That's how I do it on my GL1100 and the wiring is the same thickness.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
You can buy sery small bullet connections, the fat end is for crimping and you usually slip the wire through to the thinner end. That's how I do it on my GL1100 and the wiring is the same thickness.
You mean if there's a male bullet on the bike, and i want to attach a female connector, just crimp the open side? what if i want disconnects, ie not just crimping down on the bullet connection permanently?

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Sorry Mag, I misunderstood your post. I thought you had a problem getting the bared wire into the new connectors! That's how I had to do mine, ie replace the male bullets on my bike with new new larger males to fit into new larger female ones. Where the wire went into the new connectors I put a small blob of solder as well.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Aha! I seem to have found out that this is a common problem. I believe they are special insulated connectors, likely Japanese. I'll call the electrical store tomorrow, as well as the Honda dealership to see if they have them. Otherwise, like you, i'll have to modify existing connectors.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

I don't think Honda sell these, just as well or they would be expensive that way. You need a special crimping tool as well.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks, everyone. Figured it out. I had to:
1. connect the ground wire(s) from my headlight bucket -- this was why my signals didn't work!

2. connect the retro-fitted electronic ignition properly. I found an existing 'hot' female bullet connector and used it, plus male connector i stole from headlight bucket ground wire.

I did pretty good, considering i only cut one original wire on the bike!

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Ya, Raymond. That's it. You are right on the money with these, and they are expensive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.