Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Wiring the saddle bag lights to work as rear lights and brake lights.

I am sure there used to be a tutorial on this but I cant find it now. Does anyone have a link or know how to do this, I have the parts, my technical knowledge is limited...

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

David you have PM

Nick

Welsh Winger

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

Thought also plug in my lower lights in the winter one has ever proposal on a nice and safe manner.

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

Cheers Dave.

Oh well, that's me redundant next time I visit you - I will feel positively unloved.

The upside, I will have more time to drink your beer. :cheeky1:

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

Drink Davids beer, Wont he get the spiced rum. :D:D

Nick

Welsh Winger

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

tanygaer wrote:

I am sure there used to be a tutorial on this but I cant find it now. Does anyone have a link or know how to do this, I have the parts, my technical knowledge is limited...

Its not too hard, even you could manage it, but there again drinking someones beer seems better.

The hardest part is removing the plastic blank where the lamp assembly goes. Take care here as the lock lugs are moulded in.

Our Oz wiring was totally different to the US assembly I purchased so had to swap plugs and connectors around and ended up splicing connectors on to the original wiring. :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

tanygaer wrote:

Just sell it and buy a US spec :cool:;)

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

Hello David

Did you find out how to fit saddlebag lights? I'm keen to do this on my 1800 and any help/advice would be very welcome

Cheers

Markh

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hi Mark, I have just done this with a fair bit of assistance from Koxx4 one of our members.

The first thing to know is do you by any chance have a set of saddle bag trim lights fitted? If you do the job will be very much easier.

Welsh Winger is very clued up about light additions to bikes. :)

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I am in skype contact with Tanygaer as we speak here, and he is at work, so if he gets time he will write details here tonight. :waving:

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

Thanks for this,

I don't have any trim lights fitted

Looking forward to seeing the notes from Tanygaer

Markh

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Well, whilst you are twiddling your thumbs waiting for Tanygaer to get his A.... into gear, you might want to familiarize yourself with the areas you are going to be dealing with.

The lower light cluster that you want to install the lights in are easily accessed, by undoing three black headed nuts on the back wall of the panniers. This will release the whole light cluster and when you have it out, you will find an area at the rear that has not been cut out for light fittings.Release the indicator bulb holder.You will need to get a suitable sized core bit and a slow running battery or powered drill and drill out the hole, to the correct size of the pre marked lines. You will also see that there are two small areas outside the hole that will need cutting or filing out. These are to accept the holders which will line up, push in and twist to lock into place.

Remove swarf from the lamp housing by shaking out and if you can vacuuming out the last bits by getting clever with the Dyson or whatever you have.

You will also see that the indicator wiring is clamped where it comes from inside the pannier. I chose not to get involved with sending additional wires through there, but rather to cut a small X shaped slot in the back top of the big rubber boot/ grommet that is recessed to take the indicator lamp holder when the lamp is back in place.

The chances are, Tanygaer will be telling you to wire into the existing upper lights.

You will be best to remove the central rear mudguard section and to do this, undo the five Allen bolts. one is located under the licence plate holder, just to make it a pain. With the bolts removed ( no need to remove the actual licence plate bracket) if you grab the lower part of the mudguard, you should be able to release it by wiggling and pulling at the same time.

Inside your panniers, you may see a very small hole in the top, rear, innermost corner, this I found to be a suitable place to take the wires through and the hole will need enlarging to allow the wires to all go through. I found drilling from the inside of the pannier easiest and just take it nice and slow.

If you have a Maplins near to you, they sell some very nice cable tidy shrouding quite cheaply and in long lengths, this is a good investment to cover and protect the wires easily, alternatively some plastic tubing may be handy and with a craft knife a slot can be cut all the way down it to make it easy to slip over the wires.

Now is time to stick your head into the top box... in there you will find three more of those black headed nuts at the rear of the box wall, these will be holding the upper light cluster. There are three more for the other side. You will need a slim socket, to access one of these as it is recessed. Undoing these nuts releases the lamp cluster for each side and they should pull out easily.

To the side walls of the top box you will find four more nuts, on each side, undoing the lower two on each side will release the panel running under the trunk/ top box. The top two on each side releases the trims, and there is a central nut under the centre where the trims have just come off of,that needs undoing to start removing the panel under the top box. ( I can't quite remember but there may be a couple more nuts to undo from under where the trims came off.

You will need to jiggle the panel out and it can be a pain in the arse to get off and clear the trunk and pannier release levers, but you will eventually succeed.

The wiring from each lamp unit goes down through a hole to under the top box and this is whereI believe you will be breaking into the wiring to add the wires from the pannier lights.

You will need to run three wires from the back of the panniers with enough tails on them to reach to the lamp holders that you will be adding in the cluster, up to the underside of the trunk. Of course, you may like to take one set from one pannier to the other and make the join in there rather than running two sets of three wires up to the underside of the trunk. This is how Iran mine.

From here on, my installation differs from Tanygaer's, because I have the trim lights and Tanygaer doesn't. So he will have to explain how he has integrated the wires into the loom at the underside of the trunk.

I just had a look at Cyclemax site and unfortunately they must be out of stock of the holders that you might like to fit, as they are not showing as in stock. Itis possible to buy rear lamp holders that will fit from either a Halfords or even a scrap dealer.

Hope this gets you going on information and if it all gets too much to read, sorry about that. :waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

If you make it to the Meet & Greet in Faskally at the end of April, you can show us the lights perhaps!!:):)

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

The only thing i would like to add to Petes great explanation is its alwayts best to solder your connections to the existing wiring, i would not use scotch locks as they often fail after a while, there are other types of crimp connectors some now even have heat shrink on the ends to seal the connections.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

Completed the job last night, took a couple of hours, but I've now got saddlebag stop and tail lights

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice

Markh

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

I don't get this. Do the saddlebag lights not come in working condition from the dealers over there?

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

No they don't, the wiring isn't even in the loom! so you have to trace the brake/tail light wiring, splice into it, buy bulb holders and drill and file out the holes in the rear lamps

Guess they look after you guys better than us Brits

markh

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Markh is correct, the only lights that come to us operational in the Panniers/ saddlebags are the indicators. If we want the rest to be operational, we have to go through the conversions as detailed above.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
imported post

The reason why a UK spec Goldwing does not come with the pannier lights fitted as standard is because those lights do not conform to the UK Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1986.
If they are fitted after the bike is first registered,it could result in an MOT failure.Very rare,but,it has happened.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.