Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have purchased a mount, the wiring harness and I already have the fairing. What make it harder is the PO did some rewiring after his orginialfaring broke.

I was wondering if anybody could tell me how to connect the wiring harness for the windjammer. Do i need to pull the false tank? I have checked the vetter websiteI can't see anything about the location.

I appericate this again.

I ride an 82 GL1000 standard

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
imported post

everything for the most part should wire into the headlight bucket

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

That I have to agree with...My Suzuki GS-1000 has all the wiring in the head light bucket with a rubber cover over it....Dealer installation...They took the socket that went to my head light, signal lights cut it and wired the Wind Jammer lights into it....Check that out first then if all else fails go to help section, you will find wiring diagrams there....My two Wings have Honda line fairings so no wire cutting and splicing.....

Claude...

·
Registered
10,509 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Electrical is my week point. I am asking is where do you tap in the harness for power turn signals, lights, on the bike itslef. I have seen plugs and some recommened straight splicing. If somebody please could tell me where to get the wire from on the bike to tap into the fairing. A picture I am looking for KISS method please. Sorry to keep re posting.

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

jwsullivan1981 wrote:
I have purchased a mount, the wiring harness and I already have the fairing. What make it harder is the PO did some rewiring after his orginialfaring broke.

I was wondering if anybody could tell me how to connect the wiring harness for the windjammer. Do i need to pull the false tank? I have checked the vetter websiteI can't see anything about the location.

I appericate this again.

I ride an 82 GL1000 standard
Where did you get that 82 "GL1000" standard...........I haven't seen one of those yet...Ha Ha....!

I would recommend looking at my comments on your previous post, I listed the wire colors there.

Also, remove your headlight bulb and see if the wires you need are in the headlight nacelle.

That's where they were on my GL1000, maybe it will be the same on your GL1100.....dunno!

If so, you might be able to just unplug the original wires (going to the various lights) and plug in the appropriate wires from your fairing harness. That's how it worked on my GL1000. Hope your GL1100 will be as easy.

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

sfruechte wrote:
It's been 32 years but I think my Vetter wiring harness tapped into the bike under the left false tank.
I am aware you could connect the wiring under the "left side false tank", all the wires were there.

However, the installation instructions for installing the 9-pin wiring harness for my fairing indicated to make the connections in the headlight nacelle. It was a plug and play connection. No cutting or splicing wires...! This was on my '77 GL1000.

My fairing was a knock-off of the Vetter III fairing. If you sat them side by side, you could not find any differences. Maybe Vetter advised to connect the wiring inside the false tank....dunno...! The company I purchased from advised connecting inside the headlight nacelle. It was a very easy task.

PS: I know he has a Windjammer IV. The wiring would be the same. The basic
difference between the Vetter III and the Vetter IV was how the turn signals were
mounted. The Vetter III signals were on a post while the Vetter IV signals were
built into the fairing.

My fairing was a very good one, after 14 years of service it was still working great. Never any mechanical or electrical problems...!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.