Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have been reading up on wiring up driving lights to my 97 SE but I am still confuses on relays and switches. Hoping you all can help.

These are additional 55w driving light, not the lower turn signal only lights.

I bought one of the cheap walmart chrome light kits for mainly a test. If the work, great, if not, oh well.

For wiring, I will have the 12v+ direct from battery which already has a 15a inline fuse going to a relay. Relay out to lights. Ground from relay to where? Back to battery?

Switch wire to where? Accessory terminal in fuse box? Not sure where to tap into. I want to avoid cutting any existing wiring.

I have an LED switch that I want to install as well so I can control when the lights are on. Does that go on the switch wire between the relay and accessory terminal?

The lights have a ground wire as well. Where should this ground go? Back to battery? Where would another good ground be?

My goal is to have the option of having the lights turn on with ignition with switch on, and using the switch to turn off at will. Hoping this avoids accidentally leaving lights on when key is off.

Eventually I will install an Aux Fuse block but that is down the road a bit.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I bought a separate relay. Where does the switch get wired into? One end on the relay, other end ??

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

ebanjo wrote:
Here you go.
Funny, I was just looking at that diagram online. I think I get it now. On the 1500, where should I ground the negative leads from the lights too? Do I have to run the negative wires all the way back to the battery?

·
Senior Something
13,270 Posts
imported post

If you have a good ground to the frame it would work. I ran mine to the neg. side of my acc. block.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

if your worried about a ground just run it ground direct to the battery negative thats about the best ground you can get

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

cory1848 wrote:
. On the 1500, where should I ground the negative leads from the lights too? Do I have to run the negative wires all the way back to the battery?
If they are like most typical H3 55W Halogens, there should be a large ring terminal on the end ofthe ground wires from each lamp housing. Assuming your lampmounting bar/bracket is bolted to the frame/fairing main stay, justrun your lampmounting bolt through them, between the light's mounting bracket and your mounting light bar/bracket,

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks Dusty I didn't think of that as a ground point. Worked like a charm. Thanks to the help of everyone I got the lights installed and working. Have to wait until its dark to angle them properly.

The big test will be to see if everything shorts out in the rain. :)

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

If you used heat shrink tubing at all your crimp connections, used the shielded quick connectors and your relay isn't 'exposed' to the weather, you should be alright.

Dusty

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.