Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I would like to wire my GPS into the intercom system so that GPS alerts interupt radio over the speakers or headset.

Any suggestions for splicing into the intercom wiring?

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

welcome to the forum. i think i read about some kind of adapters to do what you need. wait a little and a 1800 guru will be with you! :D

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum!

There's a few ways to do it, but probably the easiest and cheapest is to just use the built in MP3 jack, under your left pocket. If you're using it for an MP3 player too, you should be able to just use a y cable, available at Radio Shack or other electronics stores. You will of course need the cable from your GPS output too. Most are just a 1/8" stereo plug, but some like the Zumo have have a special cable.

John

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks

I was hoping to use the intercom system so that the radio volume would be muted when the GPS spoke (ie like it does when speaking on the intercom).

Any thoughts on tha (ie can I splice/Y into the intercom speaker output)?

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

iua_assoc wrote:
Thanks

I was hoping to use the intercom system so that the radio volume would be muted when the GPS spoke (ie like it does when speaking on the intercom).

Any thoughts on tha (ie can I splice/Y into the intercom speaker output)?
Not sure that if that will happen with the MP3 jack. Wouldn't cost much to try it and find out.

A more expensive solution is theJ&MCell Phone/GPS/Radar Detector Integration Terminal. I use the universal version on my 1500. It works great and integrates my cell phone in the system as well. I added the blue tooth adapter so I don't have to hook a cord to my cell phone.

John

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

:DRefer to another thread right here titled :D

"Wiring GPS into bike for sound"

by :action:GSMacLean:action:

His approach sounds perfect and I plan on trying it as soon as I get a GPS.

:clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
12,840 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

That's the one.
He also talks about wiring the speaker into the intercom for better volume.
Lot's of good reading to absorb.
I just pasted a bunch of the posts into a word file to keep for ready reference and in case I can't find the thread in the spring.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
imported post

I use the Kennedy single celset with one of their 3.5 right angle lines into a Lazer nav unit. I get all nav audio thru intercom, muting music etc as it should. Plus it will put bluetooth audio thru as well so I can use mobile phone thru intercom. Mounted on a RAM mount. Perfect

Attachments

·
mmonsterbuck
402 Posts
imported post

wag, does this set up work good, i have a tomtom 920 gps, can answer phone threw gps, its blue tooth, and are phones are also

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

You need to do this in steps (I am speaking of Garmin 2650/2720/2820):

1. You need an interface card, whereto you connect the cigarette lighter cable (cut the
cigarette lighter/ speaker part off). This interface overrides internal communication/
radio/ CB.
2. You hook in the two DIN plugs of the interface card between the headset plug and
the intercom plug.

Its simple for people who are a little technical minded. There are a number of electronics/ gps dealers where you can obtain these interface/ relay cards needed.

H.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.