Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've read a few threads regarding similar problem and tried wiring the ground direct at the rear connector for the taillights to no avail.
Just bought this bike 6 mos ago and have put app. 4k miles on, noticed when sitting holding the brake lever the engine would decrease rpm then let off the brake lever and rpms go up ever so little. Figured there most be a wiring problem somehow and would need to look into that. Today however a major problem flared up. When using a turn signal, either direction the fronts work but the back ones don't. The two indicators on the dash are both blinking as if the emergencies are on, in the rear lights appear to be going off all over. When I set the emergency hazard button they appear to work fine it's just the rear turn signals. I'm about try looking at the bulbs in the rear but can't imagine a bulb is out since I see them on with the hazards on. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks much

·
Administrator
26,563 Posts
Normal to be able to detect a slight RPM drop with the brake but the rest sure does indicate a ground problem to the rear lights.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are some extra plug in goodies it appears on this bike. Someone added lightbars into the sidebags, a lighted chrome cover for the license plate and lighted bars up on the luggage trunk. I'm busy disconnecting all the wiring to this stuff to see if that will fix the problem.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
I would really look at the grounds for the turn lights as Dave said.
If the ground was open and you turn on one turn signal current would flow through the correct filamenet and if all was good it would be grounded on the other (green) wire. If the ground is open the current will flow through the ground splice and then through the wrong filament backwards. Once through the wrong filament it can flow to the wrong indicator light.

If you look at the diagrams below the red line shows how current flows normally. The purple shows how current flows IF the turn lights have no ground. It also indicated how the current can get back and light the wrong indicator if there is no .ground. Again, as Dave said there is an extremely strong chance green wire is not grounded after the splice.

You can try to find where the green wire is open or add a good ground anywhere near the lights to the green wire.Seems some one else had the same issue right at the connector and just jumped the wires over the connector to make it work. Your call. :)

Screenshot (28).png Screenshot (27)_LI.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've pulled everything off the rear of the bike today. Prior owner had put the led light bars across the bottoms of the side bags and the rail around the trunk. There was also an additional chrome mudflap with led lighting. I went through and disconnected everything that wasn't original. Discovered that the small 12 volt bulb for the license marker was burned out and replaced it. I drilled a small hole in the frame under seat and went ahead with the soldering of the ground bypass for the connector even though best I could tell it was ok just figured I'd stomp out a future problem. I ran a aluminum connector through the frame and slid the bypass wire in and tightened. Started the bike up and the blinkers work as they should! Only problem I can see now is the emergency flashers only work on the right side of the bike. Not sure where to begin with that but for now it's not as much a priority as the blinkers were. Thanks to all who took the time to add input, I really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Not sure I understand your repair. Can't solder to aluminum but you got it going so good for you.

Does the fronts flash when hazards are turned on? The indicators on the dash? Which side does not work? Might be an open diode?

·
Administrator
26,563 Posts
Might be an open diode?
Under the seat near the 14 pin connector that has the common ground problem is a white 3 pin connector with a pink/white, orange and blue wire, should have a square block plugged into it, that is the diodes for the 4 way flashers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When seated on the bike, emergency flashers on, the right indicator on the dash flashes as well as the right side front and rear blinkers. Nothing on the left flashes. The turn signals both work fine now left & right front & back from the handlebar switch for directional so not sure why right side only works for emergency flash.
Regarding the wire repair, I soldered a jumper wire from each ground side, (green wire) of the connector then soldered a wire from them to a wire with a connector that slides under a aluminum bolt & nut that I ran through the aluminum frame. I'm no pro but in my years I've discovered all my repairs always manage to get me to my next mishap! :)

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
As Dave said. You can jumper all 3 wires at the plug to see if hazards work as they should. Don't leave the jumper on as it will cause other issues.

·
Administrator
26,563 Posts
When seated on the bike, emergency flashers on, the right indicator on the dash flashes as well as the right side front and rear blinkers. Nothing on the left flashes.
What happens if you are not seated on the bike?

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Second and easier thought. With the hazards on back probe the orange wire at the 3 pin white connector. If no power the diode is bad or there is a bad connection right at the 3 pin connector.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
I've read a few threads regarding similar problem and tried wiring the ground direct at the rear connector for the taillights to no avail.
Just bought this bike 6 mos ago and have put app. 4k miles on, noticed when sitting holding the brake lever the engine would decrease rpm then let off the brake lever and rpms go up ever so little. Figured there most be a wiring problem somehow and would need to look into that. Today however a major problem flared up. When using a turn signal, either direction the fronts work but the back ones don't. The two indicators on the dash are both blinking as if the emergencies are on, in the rear lights appear to be going off all over. When I set the emergency hazard button they appear to work fine it's just the rear turn signals. I'm about try looking at the bulbs in the rear but can't imagine a bulb is out since I see them on with the hazards on. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks much
I’m not saying your issue is the same as I had with my 2008GL 1800, but the symptoms sound very similar to what I experienced. The local Honda dealer discovered that it was a pinched wire inside the cable bundle where the trunk lid hinges to the body. They replaced that wiring harness and I have had no trouble in the last two years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Tom, I appreciate your info. I did find a site with the info I needed to make the appropriate repairs to my bike and am up and running again. I'd like to thank Redwing 52 also for his helpful insight. I'd share my problem but I'm concerned a few members might cut loose with the jack azzerie they displayed earlier. Nothing like getting a healthy dose of BS dumped on ya while you're groveling with wiring problems on your bike!

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Thanks Tom, I appreciate your info. I did find a site with the info I needed to make the appropriate repairs to my bike and am up and running again. I'd like to thank Redwing 52 also for his helpful insight. I'd share my problem but I'm concerned a few members might cut loose with the jack azzerie they displayed earlier. Nothing like getting a healthy dose of BS dumped on ya while you're groveling with wiring problems on your bike!
Dalboa,
I think you got the wrong impression from the guys. They were just hoorahing you and didn't mean anything negative. Just having some fun at your expense but not meant to hurt anybody I am sure. We had a deal like this before and someone answered best when he said "there is no just kidding key" on his computer.
We're glad you got the bike fixed and you are up and running. 😎

·
Administrator
26,563 Posts
I'd share my problem but I'm concerned a few members might cut loose with the jack azzerie they displayed earlier. Nothing like getting a healthy dose of BS dumped on ya while you're groveling with wiring problems on your bike!
Sorry you can't take a little ribbing but it was a serious question. Your statement "When seated on the bike, emergency flashers on, the right indicator on the dash flashes as well as the right side front and rear blinkers."sounds like it only happens when seated on the bike.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,758 Posts
Well, Dalboa. I have to jump in and back Dave on this. When I read that post I too wondered how sitting on the bike would create or affect the problem. Yes, one post was a little out of line but I think it was intended as poking some fun, but not really malicious.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts