Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, I've put in the air horns and need to wire it in. The kit came with a relay, but I tried to bypass it and wire direct to the horn wiring, no good. There was enough juice to activate the compressor, but not enough to generate sufficient air pressure, so I have to use the relay. My problem is this, the instructions are pathetic to say the least and it gives me two choices. One way is if the I have a grounded horn button, and hte other is if the horn button is connected to positive. Which one is it for an 83 1100I?

Now I'm assuming that the relay is to allow power to be drawn directly from the battery for the compressor, any advise is GREATLY appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

If you substitute your air horns where the driving lights are this will work.
And use the positive that goes to the OEM horns or one of them where the switch is.
WHen you press the horn button you will activate the relay

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

just an advice for you and everyone else who might read this later... EVEN if it seems to work... sooner or later, you are having the risk of melting the stock horn button or the main wire harness.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

chris in va wrote:
Only if you don't use the relay. All the button does is activate it, not supply power to the horn itself.
That's correct. The switch activates the relay,the relay handles the load. The wiring to the horns themselves might need to be beefed up though.:weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Usually a 20 amp fuse is adaquate for the compressor and if the relay was included the correct gauge wire will be included.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

My question is still this,is ita grounded horn button,or is if the horn button connected to positive. Which one is it for an 83 1100I?

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Here is what is happening, everytime I hook it up, the air horn goes off the minute I turn the key on. My question is this, I'm running the wire to the switch and connecting it directly to the connection at the horn. There are four wires running to each horn, two to each connection. DO I need to isolate one of these wires specifically to connect to the relay?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Richardrwg wrote:
My question is still this,is ita grounded horn button,or is if the horn button connected to positive. Which one is it for an 83 1100I?
The horn button is grounded. When you turn on the key power is fed to the horns for the 15 amp fuse in the fuse box. From there the solid green wire from the horns go to the horn button which goes to ground. So I'd guess that the secondary leads from the horn relay will have to be spliced inline with the ground wire coming off the horns to the horn button. This is my best guess as I don't know how the air horn relay is wired and what connectors it has on it.

What model and brand of air horns are these as I could probably download the install instructions for them and take a look at the suggested wiring diagram.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

wing ding wrote:
chris in va wrote:
Only if you don't use the relay. All the button does is activate it, not supply power to the horn itself.
That's correct. The switch activates the relay,the relay handles the load. The wiring to the horns themselves might need to be beefed up though.:weightlifter:
The original wiring for the stock horns is already rated for 15 amps of power so they are more than adequate to handle power to the relay. The relay itself will draw no more than 5 amps as far as ataivating the relay to provide the power to the horns from the power lead it uses straight from the battery.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

Richard, Forget all about ground buttons and all that stuff. that has been confusing you the whole time.. just, the two wires you took off one of the stock horns, plug them into the relay on the 83 and 85 connections, now when you push the button you will hear a click click from the relay.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
Richard, Forget all about ground buttons and all that stuff. that has been confusing you the whole time.. just, the two wires you took off one of the stock horns, plug them into the relay on the 83 and 85 connections, now when you push the button you will hear a click click from the relay.
Hi William. That should be 86 and 85.:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

Richard if the horn is going off straight away, this means that the original horn you have linked into has a positive supply on all the time. I assume if you have used the new relay you have connection 85 going down to ground, you need to put the switch in here between connection 85 and the ground point.

If you want to use the original horn button, find out what side of the horn has the constant 12 volts on it. Remove the other side wires, these should be the ones that go down to earth via the bikes horn button. Remove this side and connect that side to 85 on your relay.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
Yup this is what I did on my yamaha. With the exception of using the 85 and 86 terminals like GW4ever said,this will work. Then the number 30 needs to go to the new horns + output and the number 87 need to go to the battery WITH a fuse (whatever the manufacture recommends to use) as close to the battery as possible. Hope that helps...

Bill

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.