Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

In advance I thank any and all who respond to this situation:

I replaced the headlight bulb and it didnt light.Bulb is fine. Ipopped the 10 amp fuse in the box and its fine.I tested the connector at the bulb and no current. I then tested the 9 prong harness (from the bike) and the center prong (white wire) doesnt demonstrate any current as the other prongs do. According to the diagram, the blue and white wires are from the hi/lo beam switch.

I'm hoping someone can tell me about a fuse somewhere else I may have overlooked. Or anything else i may have missed. Everything else in the faring is fine.

Regards,

giles

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

More likely you jiggled a ground wire lose while changing the bulb out..track the ground wires up front..clean and tighten

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hi RB,

I see you're out of Scottsdale and you ride alot. This summer I was passing by Picacho Peak I-10 and my jeep broke down. The mechanic there (the only one) is known for ripping people off to no end. He's a real bad person. Are you familiar with that stretch?

·
Administrator
26,186 Posts
imported post

If you have power on the blue wire with the switch in the low position and nothing on the white in the high position the fuse is obviously good so the problem is either in the dimmer switch or the wiring between it and the fairing connector.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
imported post

It could be your high low switch this happened to me a couple of months ago.
See if you have power going into the hi/low switch (I don't remember what color the wires are)if power is going in and not coming out you need to replace the left hand controls. If no power going to the hi/low switch the power runs through the start switch (lights shut off when you push the start button)so see if you have power going in and coming out. The wire goes from the fuse block to the start control. Make sure your ground wires are grounded.
I picked up the left hand control off ebay.
Good Luck

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

What about the wiring that shuts off the headlight durring cranking???:baffled:

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

Same thing happened to me......my problem was in the high low switch button.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

What do I do replace it? That's where I believe the problem is. I get no response from the switch. Can I open up the box at the handlebars and jiggle wires or check connections? How did you fix yours?

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

Hello Giles, can't be 100% sure if that's the problem, mine was clearly defective because the button was cracked and broken. I bought a used switch off of e-bay. I am now in the process of finding out how to re install. If you can get around replacing the entire switch and maybe fix the problem inside the switch, you will find it much easier. When you take that switch appart pay close attention it can be tricky to get back together.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

frankenpak wrote:
Hello Giles, can't be 100% sure if that's the problem, mine was clearly defective because the button was cracked and broken. I bought a used switch off of e-bay. I am now in the process of finding out how to re install. If you can get around replacing the entire switch and maybe   fix the problem inside the switch, you will find it much easier. When you take that switch appart pay close attention it can be tricky to get back together.
I just replaced the switch on my 83 Aspencade. The fairing has to come off. Then the steering weight has to come off as the many wires from the switch were under it. That along with the 2000 other wires for the lights and instruments!:(

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
imported post

Hi Giles and Welcome to the crazyest but best Goldwing Forum around:cool:

With your problem just take it slow and easy. None of it is as hard as seems.

You need a good Volt Ohm meter, acouple scrwe drivers and some wrenches.

start with the simple. As was mentioned check grounds and the apropreate wires (Down load the manual. it has wireing scematics) or buy a Clymers). The switches are not that hard to open up. Just do slowly some parts won't pop out or at least so you can see where they go. (seems there's a spring in there)

It may be all you need do is clean contacts in there.

If replacement of either switches or checking connectorsis needed you will have to pull the fairing. This is really a simple task. Get a sawhorse and position it across the front so the nose of the fairing will rest on it when all bolts removed then you can pull it up and leave it ballanced there but recomend just long enough to pull the wireing plug. Mine is plain and feather light but if you have all the radios, gauges and such you may want help moveing it off the horse.

Luck Dwight

P.S. If you get really stuck PM me with phone #. Lodi's not thet far away.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

Wing Ding....what a name!!!:shock: When you replaced the switch did you have trouble re connecting the wires? The colors....etc

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

frankenpak wrote:
Wing Ding....what a name!!!:shock:     When you replaced the switch did you have trouble re connecting the wires?   The colors....etc
It just so happens that I had a wire labeling kit that I use at work. I labeled all the connectors before I took them apart and transferred the numbers to the new ones.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Its all over. I had to get my electrical engineer friend to come and help me test the wires. It turns out that the hi/lo switch AND the starter button (which connects to the hi/lo) were fried. Thats what really threw us off because it turned out to be double trouble.
A person needs LOTS of patience/perseverance to own one of these bikes I'm learning. But, they give years of riding as well. To anyone else riding an early model Wing, Hats Off!

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

giles_porter wrote:
Hi RB,

I see you're out of Scottsdale and you ride alot. This summer I was passing by Picacho Peak I-10 and my jeep broke down. The mechanic there (the only one) is known for ripping people off to no end. He's a real bad person. Are you familiar with that stretch?
Was it this guy?

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.