Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anybody on here done this? I need to cobble up a trailer light cord for my bike....can any of you electrical marvels on here talk me through it? Electrical wiring for a dummy? I know I need an isolater, and need to connect it to some major connection on the bike, but I'm pretty helpless....

I do have a diagram from another forum for the ST, a diagram that shows what colored wires do what......on the ST, anyway....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

Sorry CJ, I wish I could help, I just do not know the ST well enough. Looking at the diagram. I have never seen a fuse on the ground except for old english cars where the + is ground and - is lead

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Mel, check and see if they make a plug and play wiring harness for your bike. If not, is you trailer a four or five plug? If a five plug and you cannot get a plug and play isolator, the best way to wirewould be to just by a plug at wal mart and splice in at each turn signal, stop light, and running light. If your trailer is a four wire you would just need a five to four adaptor. Trust me. I am not a wiring genius, but this is a fairly easy job. Always, always use your frame for grounding.

·
Administrator
26,563 Posts
imported post

If you can't find a plug and play harness for your bike you will have to splice into the wires to your rear lights as shown in the diagram. Then if your trailer doesn't have separate turn and brake lights you will also need a 5 to 4 wire adapter available almost anywhere.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Wish I could help...on my old 1500 used the plug and play plugins under the trunk where all the turn signal and brake lights were...since yours is a ST would bet the wires are a similar color. Looks like an excellent schematic to follow. You might want to wait until your trailer is delivered before you dive into this. Match the plug on the trailer to what you need on the bike. However the splicing bike wiring to the isolator you probably could go ahead and get done. I am a wiring dummy too but I generally make it through having wired two or three trailers now.

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

Jeez, no fair asking the same question in two threads. Ah well, i guess I can put my answer here as well

Mel, that schematic looks like a cut and solder solution. If soldering I prefer heat shring tubing over tape, it will last a lot longer. You might want to check for a plug in type Y connector, a lot eaisier to install and a lot less likely to cause problems later on. For the connector our aspen came with what is known as a 6 pin square (it is actually rectangular) which is much smaller than the 5 pin round ones. I have mine on a pitgtail that I tuck up out of sight when not in use.

About 1/3 of the way down THIS PAGE There is description of a plug that might be of interest. It looks like you might be able to get a plug in connector to use so you would'nt need to cut into the existing wiring.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
imported post

Careful about the 5-4 adapter, they do not completely work in my experience. My 1200 has a 5 the the PO wired in at points under the seat and trunk. I bought a 4 wire trailer and and then tried just adapting it with the Hoppy 5-4 adapter and when I turn my turn signal on (left or right don't matter) they work fine. But apply the brake when either turn signal is on and both lights on the trailer only start flashing. They get brighter with the brake lights coming on but they both flash. I spoke to Hoppy about the problem and they said that is very common on bikes to have that problem and were in the process of trying to figure out why it does it but so far they have not solved the problem. I have found nothing to work it out so I am going to have to add a couple of separate brake lights to my trailer and go back to 5-5 wiring to fix the problem.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

DougW wrote:
Jeez, no fair asking the same question in two threads.  Ah well, i guess I can put my answer here as well

Mel, that schematic looks like a cut and solder solution. If soldering I prefer heat shring tubing over tape, it will last a lot longer.  You might want to check for a plug in type Y connector, a lot eaisier to install and a lot less likely to cause problems later on. For the connector our aspen came with what is known as a 6 pin square (it is actually rectangular) which is much smaller than the 5 pin round ones.  I have mine on a pitgtail that I tuck up out of sight when not in use. 

About 1/3 of the way down THIS PAGE  There is description of a plug that might be of interest.  It looks like you might be able to get a plug in connector to use so you would'nt need to cut into the existing wiring.
Yeah, I don't know how I got two threads going on the same subject..... early dementia, maybe ..... :-(

Wow, that's a great page! I think I can run my new cable and an isolator totally off this accessory plug! Thanks, much, my friend!

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

CJ, lemme look at UHaul to see if they have a universal one that might work. Its a common task for uHaul...

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

why not just make it a 5wire round plug on trailer and on the bike that way you dont need a converter

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
why not just make it a 5wire round plug on trailer and on the bike that way you dont need a converter
With the Aspen trailer I don't think he willneed a converter,my Aspen Classicis factory installed and wired for a 5 wire system with the seperate brake and turn lights. It should be just a matter of matching the plugs and connecting the bike wiring.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i wired my dads bike and trailer with a 5wire round and my bike and trailer with a 5wire round its alot less headache than wiring in a 4 wire converter in my honest opinion

unless you want to use the trailer with a car or something but i wont be doing that plus it makes it nice so both my dad and i can haul either trailer with no issues

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

I have mine so it will work with a 5 wire or a 4 wire. I just got red lenses for the yellow ones that were on the trailer turn signals (Peggy at trailmaster is wonderful to deal with). I made an adapter that goes from the 6 square to the 4 flat. When used with the cage the turn signals become turn/brake and the brake lights go unused. When behind the 'Wing they work as seperate brake and turn lights.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

The isolater needs to be used. Get a powered one. That way the trailer lights are running off of the bike battery and not the turn signal switches. Most RV dealerships can supply you with the isolater. They come powered and non powered. The non power just converts from 5 to 4 wire system. Powered uses basicly a relay to take 12 volt from the battery and the turn signalk switch just activates the relay.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

I used the isolator from uhaul on my 1500...ran the power directly to the battery. It has an inline fuse on it. Turns out they were the best deal on isolators, seem to remember paying only 30bucks or so for it.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

TXRLGL1500 wrote:
I used the isolator from uhaul on my 1500...ran the power directly to the battery. It has an inline fuse on it. Turns out they were the best deal on isolators, seem to remember paying only 30bucks or so for it.
Went and talked to U-Haul, Yakima, about buying a powered isolator..... They didn't know what I was talking about.....but then, neither do I!

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Administrator
26,563 Posts
imported post

If you have LED lights you really don't need the isolator, they draw so little power the bike system will handle it just fine.

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.