Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had to find another motor for my 84 interstate. Problem is the 84 had the pickups are on the rear case and the 85 has them on the front of the crank. In order to wire it I have to move the connector to the front and the color code doesn't match up right ? There is a white with black strip wire in the four wire plug that does not match the original plug.Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
As far as I know it plugs in and works as it. No harm in giving it a try.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
So I've had to find another motor for my 84 interstate. Problem is the 84 had the pickups are on the rear case and the 85 has them on the front of the crank. In order to wire it I have to move the connector to the front and the color code doesn't match up right ? There is a white with black strip wire in the four wire plug that does not match the original plug.Any help would be much appreciated.
I looked up the various years and found all years use Yel/and Wh/Yel for cylinders 1 and 2 pickup.
The other pickup for cylinders 3 and 4 should be Blu and Wh/Blu. Are you saying you have that no problem but there is an extra wire that is white with black???? Are you sure it is Wh/Bla and not a dirsty Wh/Blu???
If there is an extra trace it on the old engine to find where it goes. With the PG's being on opposite ends of the motor it would not surprise me if Honda use the connector for an added use back there. You might have to add a dedicated wire when you find the source if that is true.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update on pulse gen pickup. I actually wired it backwards ! I rechecked my work a I must have be looking at the plug connected upside down.
But anyway , I purchased an electrical connections Stator/ Coil wire harness. The problem now is I have no fuel pump power ?
What I’m wondering is the instructions say wire the harness to the regulator so I do not have the red/white strip wires from the bikes harness connected to anything? I’m wondering if those wires should be connected to the red wires on the electrical connections harness ? The instructions are really not clear on that ?

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
Is the fuel pump the only thing not working? The red/white wires tie together then connect to the red wire through the terminals on top of the starter solenoid, they are probably still hot if you didn't disconnect it there. The fuel pump only has power when the ignition is firing, while cranking or running.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You need to check the appropriate manual for the reistance spec on the coils i know the rear coils are a lot higher resistance than the 1500 front ones but havent got the book for the front mounted 1200

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
To follow up on what Dave was saying. The fuel pump has a safety built in so it shuts off when the engine is not turning,

Note on the diagram below that there are 2 wires that bring power to charge the battery and run the bike. When they leave the reg/rec one is red while the other is white but they splice together and become just red. I used to know why Honda did this but I forget now. :)

As for the Red/White wire you must have that connected . If you study the diagram below you should see the red/white changes color at the connector to just red. That red wire carries power to the ignition switch. If you had no power there the bike would be completely dead, nothing! Screenshot (14)_LI.jpg

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay , so I’ll have get three way connectors to keep the Elec. Connection harness on the bike. If that does not work I’m going back to the Original connections.
The bike does turn over and there is spark but no fuel pump . When I did the troubleshooting by the Hanes book I got a very low voltage for the pump constantly for some reason ? I ran out of time last night and will go back at it today after work at 12:00.
stay tuned !

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess the other question is does anyone have experience with the Electrical Connection wire harness ? I actually contacted them and the tech will try to get back to me over the weekend but He has to go with His daughter to pick out a wedding dress ? So he said ?

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
It looks pretty simple to me. There are red and green wires that connect to the battery, red, green and yellow wires that connect to the regulator and the stator, a relay with wires that connect to the coils and the original coil power wire to operate the relay & of course a relay ground. No reason for it not to work if connected properly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well folks ? The only way I can make it run is wire the fuel pump directly. I think I’m going to wire it with my own relay from the ignition wire . Only thing I can do as far as I’m concerned? I’ll source a good Honda relay but at this point I just want it to run.
And run it does , I changed motors with a 85 parts bike I got . Went Thru everything on the motor except split the case . Heads professionally done , new water pump , refreshed the oil pump and new Stator. Also refreshed the starter clutch. Everything is new .

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It looks pretty simple to me. There are red and green wires that connect to the battery, red, green and yellow wires that connect to the regulator and the stator, a relay with wires that connect to the coils and the original coil power wire to operate the relay & of course a relay ground. No reason for it not to work if connected properly.
With this after market harness from Electrical Connections it uses the positive side of the coil wires for the harness. But it uses one of those wires I disconnected. I can post a copy of the instructions if you’d like to see it ?

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Well folks ? The only way I can make it run is wire the fuel pump directly. I think I’m going to wire it with my own relay from the ignition wire . Only thing I can do as far as I’m concerned? I’ll source a good Honda relay but at this point I just want it to run.
And run it does , I changed motors with a 85 parts bike I got . Went Thur everything on the motor except split the case . Heads professionally done , new water pump , refreshed the oil pump and new Stator. Also refreshed the starter clutch. Everything is new .
Wiring the pump using a conventional relay might not be a good idea in the event of a crash and fire. It would not be good to have the pump running in that situation. It might be better to sort it out and get the safety feature back working. If you post the diagram I bet someone can help you get it right. Lots of fart smellers here. :)

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
With this after market harness from Electrical Connections it uses the positive side of the coil wires for the harness. But it uses one of those wires I disconnected. I can post a copy of the instructions if you’d like to see it ?
I see how it works just looking at a picture of the harness, no problem.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well do you have any ideas ? I’m still waiting for a response from Electrical Connections.
I messed with the wiring enough today. It started to giving me a headache.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Steve,
If you unplug the plug to the relay you should see some numbers on the bottom of the relay. It works as follows.
#30 is hot always
#85 and #86 is one will be hot when the key is on. The other grounds. No polarity. It can be wired either way.

#87A Is for any accessory you want to work with the key off (if used or even there. Not all relays have 87a)

#87 Would be wired to anything you want to work with the key on 2020-02-22 (4)_LI.jpg

If you follow the wires back from the fuel pump you should find the fuel pump relay. It is located under the coils. When you find the relay look for the black wire in the plug. That is the wire that will end up being attached to terminal #87 at your new harness relay. I will leave the how and where up to you.

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
Well do you have any ideas ? I’m still waiting for a response from Electrical Connections.
I messed with the wiring enough today. It started to giving me a headache.
I'm guessing you didn't get the wiring to the coils connected right. You would unplug the black/white wires from the coils and connect the 2 female connectors from the relay in their place and there should be a male connector from the relay which you would connect 1 of the black/white wires originally connected to the coils to. The relay ground wire has to be connected under a bolt to the frame. Once connected the relay should click and provide power to the coils when you turn the switch on. Make sure you didn't accidentally blow 1 of the fuses on the harness.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
I'm guessing you didn't get the wiring to the coils connected right. You would unplug the black/white wires from the coils and connect the 2 female connectors from the relay in their place and there should be a male connector from the relay which you would connect 1 of the black/white wires originally connected to the coils to. The relay ground wire has to be connected under a bolt to the frame. Once connected the relay should click and provide power to the coils when you turn the switch on. Make sure you didn't accidentally blow 1 of the fuses on the harness.
I looked at the website for the harness Dave and I get everything you say. I just don't know how this can take care of the fuel pump not running. That must have been the cause as he said it ran when he hot wired the fuel pump.
He seemed pretty anxious to get it running. Might not hear from him for a while. He might be riding. :)

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
I looked at the website for the harness Dave and I get everything you say. I just don't know how this can take care of the fuel pump not running. That must have been the cause as he said it ran when he hot wired the fuel pump.
He seemed pretty anxious to get it running. Might not hear from him for a while. He might be riding. :)
Maybe the fuel pump relay is bad.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
That's a thought....I just assumed it was working until he got involved with the wiring but you certainly could be correct. The black wire must have power down to the ignition module if it runs. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts